A Developers Education

Grand Rapidian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GrandRapidian,

Much like what flawless explained, I would think you'd have to have a keen understanding of finance and law (real estate mainly). Whether you get those through schooling or by getting your feet wet, one or the other. In addition, take plenty of public speaking courses, especially if you're not comfortable getting up in front of people. You're always pitching ideas or having to make your case: in front of city commissions, to clients, to potential partners, to financiers, to investors. But I have a feeling that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Would you "real life" developers agree?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess that I am attracted because I see a property and I can think of ways to develop or improve it to fit into and build on the community. I am all for urban core revitalization and vibrancy and want to promote it through development. I have a lot of ideas, as I am sure everyone does, and I think I have the stomach for it. There were a lot of projects proposed and completed that I had a hunch were on the way. I don't know, it is something that I always was attracted to doing.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm taking the long, educational approach to the whole development issue and I'm not sure when all is said and done I'll be much better off than others. By the time I finally get into the 'development' game, I plan n having my AIA license, MBA, Real Estate License and LEED Certification... Once I have all of that, just gotta figure out the best way to apply it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

9. Students for New Urbanism Congress I: October 5 - 7 @ University of Notre Dame

The Students for New Urbanism-Notre Dame (SNU-ND) are organizing the first international SNU Congress, October 5 - 7 at the University of Notre Dame. SNU-ND's mission is to discuss development practices and public policies, learn from recent innovative work and explore initiatives that have the power to transform communities.

SNU I will allow students and young practitioners to connect and collaborate with other young people interested in the practice of New Urbanism, to learn the latest new urbanist trends and to contribute ideas and experiences that will help everyone to take New Urbanism to the next level. Students and young professionals from all disciplines are encouraged to attend.

For more information and to register, visit http://architecture.nd.edu/news_and_events..._congress.shtml.

I have been thinking about this question quite a bit as of lately as I explore possible career shifts. With a background in urban planning, design, and development from a governmental sector point of view, I have been thinking that it would be terrific to get into the development side of the game.

I figure that with my sales background and negotiating skills, I think it would be something that I would be very good at.

Archived