Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skyliner

Greenville, <Any State>

13 posts in this topic

I was recently doing a bit of research and discovered that Greenville, Alabama, was originally named Buttsville (1819) by Greenville, South Carolina pioneers, but then renamed three years later (1822) in honor of our city. I found that very interesting, and ever since, have been wondering what is the history and connection between our Greenville and every other in the nation (there are a ton of them). This would make an interesting topic for discussion and enlightenment, if anyone is willing to join in. :shades:

Here is a link to the Encyclopedia Britannica article about Greenville, Alabama.

When I was in elementary school, we had to do a project on all the other Greenville's out there.

Since South Carolinian's went westward in the early 1800's, there are lots of towns in Alabama and Mississippi, etc. that have names similar to South Carolina.

The list of places named for Nathaniel Greene are:

# Fort Greene Ville (Ohio)

# Greene County, Alabama

# Greene County, Arkansas

# Greene County, Georgia

# Greene County, Illinois

# Greene County, Indiana

# Greene County, Iowa

# Greene County, Mississippi

# Greene County, Missouri

# Greene County, New York

# Greene County, North Carolina

# Greene County, Ohio

# Greene County, Pennsylvania

# Greensburg, Pennsylvania

# Greene County, Tennessee

# Greene County, Virginia

# Greene Hall, State University of New York at Geneseo, Geneseo, New York

# Greensboro, Georgia

# Greensboro, North Carolina

# Greensville County, Virginia (possibly; there are other claimed origins)

# Greenville, Mississippi

# Greenville, North Carolina

# Greenville, Ohio

# Greenville, Rhode Island

# Greenville, South Carolina

# Greeneville, Tennessee

# Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn, New York

# Greene Street in New York City, Greensboro, and Columbia, South Carolina.

# Greene Street in Somerville, MA

# Greene Square in Savannah, Georgia

# Greensburg, Pennsylvania*

# Greensburg, Kentucky

# Greene, New York

# General Greene Village Apartment Complex, Springfield, New Jersey

# Green County, Kentucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place...athanael_Greene

And there are actually many more Greenvilles than that list shows.

What I find interesting is that many of them were named for Nathaniel Greene, the Revolutionary War hero, who has a nice memorial statue in our Greenville. He obviously was highly admired.

Reading through the article on Greenville, South Carolina, on the Encyclopedia Britannica website, it says that our city may have been renamed for an early settler named Isaac Green. Anyone know anything about him? Perhaps this is why the Upcountry Regional History Museum has not been opened yet? ^_^

Reading through the article on Greenville, South Carolina, on the Encyclopedia Britannica website, it says that our city may have been renamed for an early settler named Isaac Green. Anyone know anything about him? Perhaps this is why the Upcountry Regional History Museum has not been opened yet? ^_^

Interesting topic.

Anyone know why Greenville, SC's original name was Pleasantburg? The "Pleasantburg-Spartanburg metro area" has a certain ring to it. :)

You have to ask?!

Why it is because this place is so pleasant, of course! :lol:

(Actually, that is very true.)

LOL, ok. The Greenville we see now was nothing like the Pleasantburg of 175 years ago, so I had to ask. :)

And there are actually many more Greenvilles than that list shows.

What I find interesting is that many of them were named for Nathaniel Greene, the Revolutionary War hero, who has a nice memorial statue in our Greenville. He obviously was highly admired.

I was recently doing a bit of research and discovered that Greenville, Alabama, was originally named Buttsville (1819) by Greenville, South Carolina pioneers, but then renamed three years later (1822) in honor of our city. I found that very interesting, and ever since, have been wondering what is the history and connection between our Greenville and every other in the nation (there are a ton of them). This would make an interesting topic for discussion and enlightenment, if anyone is willing to join in. :shades:

Here is a link to the Encyclopedia Britannica article about Greenville, Alabama.

Thank God Greenville, AL. changed it's name. I simply can't imagine it's citizens telling anyone with a straight face that they live in "Buttsville". Eeeewwww. :sick:

I believe that is what the City finally decided as well, however, there is no definitive proof to confirm that claim either. In any case, Nathaniel Greene was very influential in those days, so it is definitley conceivable that our Greenville was named for him as well.