Indianapolis to get a JW Marriot

MJLO

Indianapolis is expanding it's convention center. They have chosen JW Marriot brand to anchor the project. 25 floors for, looks like from the article there are huge hotel plans for the city. Do you Indy residents think it'll get built? There must be a big room shortage in Indianapolis. For all of these plans.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Indianapolians on another forum are absolutely livid that the city chose this:

Marriott_1(5).jpg

over this:

intercontinental_main_2.jpg

I think I would be a bit disturbed as well. I'd much rather have the second adorning my city's skyline instead of a generic glass box, more or less. Supposedly the first was chosen because the developers asked for lower incentives.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really that exclusive to have a JW Marriot? We have on here in Scottsdale. I'd say it'd be somewhat routine for the residents of Indianapolis to get a hotel like this. Downtown Indy has more than a few nice hotels already. For Grand Rapids it's a little more exclusive, since it only has three Hotels downtown right now. GR needs a few more things before it's quite like Indy fo sho.

Some Indianpolians on another forum are absolutely livid that the city chose this:

Marriott_1(5).jpg

over this:

intercontinental_main_2.jpg

I think I would be a bit disturbed as well. I'd much rather have the second adorning my city's skyline instead of a generic glass box, more or less. Supposedly the first was chosen because the developers asked for lower incentives.

Is it really that exclusive to have a JW Marriot? We have on here in Scottsdale. I'd say it'd be somewhat routine for the residents of Indianapolis to get a hotel like this. Downtown Indy has more than a few nice hotels already. For Grand Rapids it's a little more exclusive, since it only has three Hotels downtown right now. GR needs a few more things before it's quite like Indy fo sho.

• 3 weeks later...

So, were the JW Marriot Hotel & Convention Center and the Renaissance Hotel & Convention Center competing proposals as well? If so, does this mean that the Renaissance proposal is now dead? Or is the InterContinental one-in-the-same with what I've seen called the Renaissance Hotel & Convention Center? I'm a bit corn-fused.

I thought that the Marriott was dull, but the IC in my opinion is absuloutly hidiouse, it was wider than hell, and it would have blocked the view of the skyline from the LOS. The Marriott will hopefully bring life to the river area of downtown, and hopefully get some new development in. Either way, it will affect the skyline at a minimum of thirty floors. :D

Is this the final design? Really? I can understand the many economic reasons for its being chosen over the second (much more exciting) design, but it's deadly dull. However well they run their hotels, Marriott has a special knack for extracting the joy out of their properties. While the experience is nearly faultless, it is all too often without a sense of place. This hotel appears to fit the pattern. I hope that a few changes can be made.

Is this the final design? Really? I can understand the many economic reasons for its being chosen over the second (much more exciting) design, but it's deadly dull. However well they run their hotels, Marriott has a special knack for extracting the joy out of their properties. While the experience is nearly faultless, it is all too often without a sense of place. This hotel appears to fit the pattern. I hope that a few changes can be made.

Archived