Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veloise

Michigan Street work

54 posts in this topic

There's now a vacant lot next to the building with Jade Pig Racing, and a steam shovel busily digging a basement.

And Park Row looks like they're almost ready to hang up the blinds.

There's now a vacant lot next to the building with Jade Pig Racing, and a steam shovel busily digging a basement.

Not being critical but have to get you the correct terminalogy. There hasn't been a new "steam shovel" built in a lonnggg time :) It's rare to even see one operating at a historic construction equipment show. I'm pretty sure you saw a hydraulic excavator :thumbsup:

And Park Row looks like they're almost ready to hang up the blinds.

I hate to correct you too Karen, but Park Row hasn't started construction yet. The building out at the corner is a mixed-use commercial retail thingamajig. Anyone lurking know who the ground-floor tenants are going to be?

I, for one, would like to thank you for calling it a steam shovel because even before you referenced the book, it brought back memories of one of my favorite childhood books, Mike Mulligan. Maybe that helps explain my fascination with construction and addiction to this site. =)

I, for one, would like to thank you for calling it a steam shovel because even before you referenced the book, it brought back memories of one of my favorite childhood books, Mike Mulligan. Maybe that helps explain my fascination with construction and addiction to this site. =)

I hate to correct you too Karen, but Park Row hasn't started construction yet. The building out at the corner is a mixed-use commercial retail thingamajig. Anyone lurking know who the ground-floor tenants are going to be?

The only tenant that I know they have for the first floor is Red Geranium which is relocating from just down the street.

I originally typed "big yellow thing," and then remembered the book (read on Captain Kangaroo) where the steam shovel dug a building's basement, and then couldn't get out so he/it was converted into a boiler. "Finished that corner, neat and square."

The thing has a big soil-eating jaw on the front. As a toy, it's used to dispense cereal into a kid's bowl (another TV remembrance from the 60's).

ETA: found a dealer. http://comparison.casece.com/choose_produc...mini_excavators

ETA: Short-term memory is the first thing to go, and I forget what's next. It's "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel," who looks exactly like the yellow thing working today...and her name is Mary Ann.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...is+steam+shovel

I guess the Captain is far enough off to not be short-term.

Thingamjig" gosh GRdad aren't you an architect...is that a technical term? Here we put up a costly mixed-use building, and you call it a "Thingamajig"...I'm hurt!

Anyway, the Thingamajig has some medical users, a financial consultant, Red Geranium and some that cannot be announced yet. The Thingamajig should open in February (maybe early March if the construction gods are not cooperative).

Just to clear up a misunderstanding, Park Row Condo's are on Union Street. We let them put the sales sign on Michigan as a courtesy so buyers could find their sales office (at the end of Paris). We learned that while our desire to help our friends was nice, it did cause a bunch of confusion about our Thingamajig.

DJL

I meant thingamajig in the most flattering way DJL. I like both the way it looks and how it sits on the corner. Nice work! :thumbsup:

I had to go look tonight :D The "big yellow thing' is a Komatsu PC200LC hydraulic excavator - about 45,000 lb operating weight. It's owned by Pitsch Wrecking so I'm guessing they just tore down the bulding since the old basement is still there. I like big yellow machines. Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel was a favorite book years ago - probably one of the reasons why I like big yellow machines :D Over the years I've managed to get in the seat of a dozer, excavator, backhoe, grader, and a track tamper (on the railroad) to at least say I tried it :yahoo:

I'm glad Red G is moving. Their current location can be a real pain to access, especially battling for parking with Rite Aid. This is actually a move back across the street for the Red G. They moved to their current location to make way for a Spectrum parking lot.

Joe

Most likely this will open up there current space to a higher and better medical use?

I've been enjoying this extreme total makeover. Directly across from the burgers and supermarket at Michigan & Fuller.

Demolition equipment poised to start on Chuck's Auto Repair this morning.

Demolition equipment poised to start on Chuck's Auto Repair this morning.

Uggh, thats ugly. Glad to see it go. Isnt that going to be a Lake MI Credit Union, or something like that?

EDIT: Yep, i answered my own question. Photo courtesy of twoshort's photbucket account and the UP search engine.

lkmi.jpg

dtown, I think you're now an honorary Grand Rapidian. You probably know more about what's going on in this town than 95% of its residents. :thumbsup:

Uggh, thats ugly. Glad to see it go. Isnt that going to be a Lake MI Credit Union, or something like that?

EDIT: Yep, i answered my own question. Photo courtesy of twoshort's photbucket account and the UP search engine.

Went past tonight, and those yellow things (deconstruction machinery) looked tired. No wonder--Chuck's is about half gone. Will try to snag a pic...

Thanks GRDad, im on top of things. ;)

Ok, thanks Ted. I like this building Ted, its transparent, and thats nifty...

No, highwayguy, ive never even been to GR. LOL, maybe ill get out there sometime this year.

And, please do that Veloise. A picture is worth a thousand words, and no one like to type 1000 words to describe the demolition. :D