Help! Chinese, Italian resturants in Wake county!

urby56

We have relocated to Fuquay and I must say I have tried a bunch and Nothing Zippo are worth the price of admission. From Cary to Chapel Hill they are either awful Buffets or just bad places to each.

Should I just figure I must cook at home or just eat what the locals eat fried chicken and BBQ? Which I might add are great.

It seems even tough there has been an influx of northerners to the area the good ethnic places have been lagging.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese: Red Palace on New Bern Avenue (Business 64) in East Raleigh is widely considered the most authentic if that's what you're going for....just be warned that "authentic" Chinese isn't what most Americans are used to. ;)

Otherwise, just plain good Chinese places include Jade Garden on Hillsborough Street (downtown), Red Dragon on Fairview Rd (Five Points area). Numerous others.

Other good Asian food can be found at Thai House on Wake Forest Road, and Wild Ginger on East Davie Street downtown.

Italian: For me, Cafe Luna downtown (Blount at Hargett Streets) is one of the better ones. Nearby, Vic's in City Market is also good. 518 West in the Glenwood South area is also worth a try.

Peking Garden on Millbrook/Six Forks in norht Raleigh is sit down (non buffet) and won an award some years ago. They also own Cody's on Glenwood South. Vics pizza in City Market is decent, with 518 and Cafe Luna being much higher end. Plus there is old school Amedeos on Western and Two Guys on Hillsborough, both kinda not awesome but ok college places. Ten-Ten on Western is my favorite chineese buffett, but its by no means exquisite.

Look around the strip centers in Raleigh and you will find small privately owned Itailian places. I agree with Pops in Durham and especially Thai House on Hardimont off Wake Forest Rd.

I will ask someone about another Italian place in Cary, near RTP as I have a co-worker so NY Italian, she tells mob stories. She knows a good "gravy**" place. **Means a good maninara sause

Also, there is a small very simple place called Pho Cali in Starmount Center on Capital which is , of course, Vietmanese. Very simple.

I use to have an office mate from Taiwan and she liked a noodle place on Capital in Raleigh near Brentwood, but not sure if it still there.

I have many friends from Asia here and they find good places, but they are more in Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill and not further out in the burbs, but it can be found in Cary.

Nope, ethnic food is not a shortcoming here. The array of Indian restaurants in particular is astounding for an area this size (between 1.5-2 million). Mexican food is a strong area here...probably the best array of taquerias in the southeast. People coming from up north are usually astounded. You can't find Mexican like this north of Durham--honest truth. One thing though--you can't live in Fuquay, etc., and expect the same as Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, etc.

Here are some decent options:

Indian: Saffron (Morrisville), Suchi (Cary), Sitar Palace (Durham)

Authentic Chinese: MaMa Wok (Cary), Red Palace (New Bern Ave., Raleigh)

Vietnamese: Pho Cali (Raleigh), 9N9 (Durham/RTP), An (Cary)

Asian Fusion: Jujube (Chapel Hill), Lantern (Chapel Hill)

Turkish: Tallula's (Chapel Hill)

Southern: Crooks and Mama Dip's (Chapel Hill), Coopers or Big Ed's (Raleigh)

Korean: Waba (Raleigh), Vit Goal or Chosun OK (Durham)

Singaporean: Merlion (Chapel Hill)

Mexican: Los Comales (Durham), La Paraiso (Durham), La Superior (Durham), Los Cuates (Raleigh)

German/Austrian: J. Betski's (Seaboard Station, Raleigh)

French Bistro: Rue Cler (Durham), Bistro 607 (Raleigh), Bonne Soire (Chapel Hill)

Italian: Nina's (Raleigh), Vespa (Cary and Chapel Hill), Trillusa (Chapel Hill)

Ethiopian: Abyssinia (Raleigh), Queen of Sheeba (Chapel Hill)

Sushi: Oiishi (Cary), Mt. Fuji (Durham)

Nicaraguan: Xiloa (Durham)

Deli: LaRussa's in Meadowmont, Chapel Hill (owners from NJ)

Many, many more...this area is bursting at the seems with good food. I suggest checking out the Indy's listing of restaurants.

Staying with the thread title...for someone in Cary

Italian - People really like Daniel's at 64 and 55

http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/6150441

Chinese - Can't help you much there. I like P.F. Chang's, but I'm sure that isn't what you are seeking. I have seen so many horrific sanitation scores at Chinese restaurants that I've really lost my taste for everything Asian. (Ten Ten, for instance, had a small fire in the middle of the night a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the firefighters found the buffet fully loaded with food, covered in plastic, and the power cord unplugged. One other buffet had set off the fire alarm with a large number of roach bombs one night, while another in N. Raleigh got a report card shutting them down saying,"Clean, clean, and clean again." This doesn't even address the large number of strip shopping center places that have gotten C's and B's routinely) :sick:

Staying with the thread title...for someone in Cary

Italian - People really like Daniel's at 64 and 55

http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/6150441

Chinese - Can't help you much there. I like P.F. Chang's, but I'm sure that isn't what you are seeking. I have seen so many horrific sanitation scores at Chinese restaurants that I've really lost my taste for everything Asian. (Ten Ten, for instance, had a small fire in the middle of the night a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the firefighters found the buffet fully loaded with food, covered in plastic, and the power cord unplugged. One other buffet had set off the fire alarm with a large number of roach bombs one night, while another in N. Raleigh got a report card shutting them down saying,"Clean, clean, and clean again." This doesn't even address the large number of strip shopping center places that have gotten C's and B's routinely) :sick:

Chicken wings are on the appetizer section of the takeout menu. Looks like plain ol' BBQ chicken wings. So yeah. It seems like they're just pandering to the locals as a normal takeout Chinese joint with the takeout menu. Note the lack of chinese writing on the menu, if that means anything.

But on the dine-in menu, I don't see how it's unusual or less than authentic for Chinese food to use chicken wings. Especially not in a hot pot (the only place where it shows up.)

Well I don't know about General what-his-name :D or the chicken wings, but Red Palace has definitely got some items that few places do....

"Cold Mixed jellyfish" :blink:

"Braised Sea Cucumber"

"Frog in Hot chili sauce" :shok:

LOL...But there are some really good specialties, as well though, that aren't quite as shocking. I recommend the fish filet & tofu in Szechuan sauce. :thumbsup:

the good thing about this place is, if you feel daring and wanna try something out of the ordinary, you can...and still bring a friend who's more conservative. they can still find something, too.

Yeah, Red Palace is legit. Some great items on that menu, and some I'm not bold enough to try yet! Location sucks, but that's part of the deal.

Other Chinese places I'd suggest are:

Hong Kong (Guess Rd off 85 in Durham--the best dim sum around)

Neo-China in Cary for dim sum

Eastern Lights

35 Chinese in Cary

PF Changs is what it is...it's a chain (so mediocre food--which you can find in anycity USA). You can't really have high expectations for any authenticity at a place like that.

Archived