4 billion dollar project announced for Va. Beach

Telmnstr

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just showed a far more positive report on fox, even interviewed some residents who all said it was good for the city. :shok: It really depends on the news source and it almost seems slanted to whatever the personal views are of the reporters reporting on it.

Oh, and they showed new renderings too.

Wow guys, this is awesome!! As much as I'm for something of this scope and stature, I can just as easily see the "old timers" do anything they can to keep stuff like this out. I really feel that we are in that small window that our city is now in that is the time where we either make it or break it. We can grab this by the horns and become a truly magnificent city, or we can squander all these sometimes once in a lifetime opportunities and spend the rest of our days posting "what ifs." As a lifelong VB resident, this is the closest thing to having my wildest dreams come true for our city. I can only pray they dont screw this up!

I couldn't agree more... This is an amazing opportunity for VB.

I LOVE having Oceana around, but now I wonder if it is time for the base to move... If keeping the base means this development can not go forward, than that means all future developments are limited not just in size but in location. In essence, this would spell the end of new growth at the ocean front. For what? The Navy to move the base anyway in probably ten years... I never thought I would say it, but maybe it IS time for Oceana to go, but not for the reasons everyone says... "Noise, encroachment"... Dumb reasons to loose the base. "Limiting development of the city"... Good reason to loose the base... I am sure that things would be rough, at least at first if the base closes, but it would be better to start the transition now rather than later when the base is gone...

wavy tv 10 definitely puts a more negative spin on the issue, although the 11pm broadcast was a little more toned down. channel 13 was a bit more impartial as news channels should be. all i know is this...if va beach won't take it, I'm sure Norfolk would welcome them with open arms!

The updated article on Pilot Online mentions the developer has never done a project in the United States. This really does not bode well for the development IMO. I question this developer coming in from another country to do such a massive project. International developers will create small scale projects in a new market or partner with a 'local' developer on projects to learn along the way and hedge the risks of having significant bumps in the development schedule or cost overruns. Development politics, materials costs, planning constraints, architecture/site reviews, public hearings, infrastructure needs, law......Asia this is not...does this guy really think he can just come in with this proposal and have the city lay down for him? He is getting POed because he feels he didnt get the royal treatment he deserves? This is starting to sound sketchier by the minute.....

$4 Billion Put on Table in Virginia Beach

A South Korean development firm has handed city officials a massive, $4 billion proposal it believes would transform the resort into an international tourist destination aimed at the Asian market.

The plan would build thousands of hotel rooms and condominiums at the former Dome site, Rudee Loop and the Virginia Beach Convention Center - including twin 40-story towers at the Convention Center.

I'm sick to my stomach right now.

In 1980, when developers proposed a 34-story hotel tower next to the Pavilion, where the Convention Center is now, the Navy fiercely opposed the plan. The project was reduced to 12 stories. It is now the Doubletree Hotel.

These people are coming out of the woodwork!

And Jim Ricketts, the city's tourism director, revealed Wednesday that a Dallas firm is about to propose a major hotel at the convention center on 19th Street.

"For the last four years, nothing has really happened concerning the 19th Street corridor, or the headquarters hotel or the Dome site or Rudee Loop," Ricketts said. "Now you've got three quality folks that are interested in major investment. I think that's a real compliment."

In all the excitement, did anyone actually read the article???

1: This company has NEVER done a project in the USA.

2: The NAVY is very likely to oppose such tall buildings.

3: The CEO of the development company is already pissed at Beach officials for not taking his offer more seriously and canceled a trip this weekend and is considering dropping its plans. The city says it was connecting flight issues this close to Christmas. BS.. If this company has that kind of money, then they have private jets.

4: This amount of money would be an incredible development ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, let alone VA BCH.

I am HIGHLY skeptical of this happening, but some of the more "realistic" proposals from other companies also seem to be promising.

In all the excitement, did anyone actually read the article???

1: This company has NEVER done a project in the USA.

2: The NAVY is very likely to oppose such tall buildings.

3: The CEO of the development company is already pissed at Beach officials for not taking his offer more seriously and canceled a trip this weekend and considering dropping its plans. The city says it was connecting flight issues this close to Christmas. BS.. If this company has that kind of money, then they have private jets.

4: This amount of money would an incredible development ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, let alone VA BCH.

I am HIGHLY skeptical of this happening, but some of the more "realistic" proposals also seem to be promising.

Depending on the design, I almost would rather have a Hyatt by the convention center. It would be great to have the only Hyatt in the region, AND the only Westin in the city.

Anyway, because of the Navy I doubt much of this will happen. If it falls through, I would not be surprised if the company decided to build office type developments around Pembroke.

I'm pretty sure everyone has read the article and in fact all points that you have raised were raised in the previous 5 pages. The fact remains that it is still exciting that a company is even considering this for Va. Beach and it gives many of us, including myself, a bit more hope for the future.

Depending on the design, I almost would rather have a Hyatt by the convention center. It would be great to have the only Hyatt in the region, AND the only Westin in the city.

Anyway, because of the Navy I doubt much of this will happen. If it falls through, I would not be surprised if the company decided to build office type developments around Pembroke.

Reading some of the comments in the pilot online.A lot of beach residents think they live in a small town.If they want small town atmosphere then move to suffolk,we have plenty of it.Will someone please tell those residents that they live in the states largest city and it's time they start acting like it.Virginia Beach is just about the size of charlotte,but the difference is striking.What's up with that ?

Archived