4 billion dollar project announced for Va. Beach

Telmnstr

Some fool commented about how bad it will be when a big hurricane comes through. Like tall buildings haven't made it through hurricanes before (i.e. Miami, New Orleans). :blink: Does everyone in Virginia Beach think they're Pat Robertson? All the prophecies of doom and disaster for the city are completely ridiculous.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, if this falls through I think Norfolk and Portsmouth need to immediately step up to the plate and try to entice this guy to build on the waterfront either downtown or in oceanview or even Berkely. $4 billion anywhere will put us on the map.

um.......I will believe it when I see it?? Seriously, that is all I can say...never in a million years did I ever expect this to happen. But it is freaking cool and it would put CMSS to shame and that is always a good thing. I hope it happens or even something like this happens.

My question is, when has the Navy been willing to invest 4 billion dollars in the region?

um.......I will believe it when I see it?? Seriously, that is all I can say...never in a million years did I ever expect this to happen. But it is freaking cool and it would put CMSS to shame and that is always a good thing. I hope it happens or even something like this happens.

My question is, when has the Navy been willing to invest 4 billion dollars in the region?

VB should be looking at it like"holy crap an international company wants to invest 4 billion dollars here and it isn't Donald Trump!!" Back in the 80's VB let developers run crazy, I would much rather let developers like this run crazy.

I really hope the canceled flight has more to do with the holidays because that actually makes sense. If someone says they wish to invest that much money, you listen....simple as that. Hell is VB even worth 4 billion dollars? come on!

This kind of development will turn heads in the US. I would really love to see VB starting to act like Virginia's biggest city. The Town Center was a good step. The Westin was a great step. This would be an amazing step.

Oh and to comment on the morons that leave comments on the Pilot. If the city were to wait for a better time for something like this, we would still be waiting for the town center to happen. You don't wait for 4 billion dollars when someone is there offering it to you. Hell this isn't some lame sports team and arena, this is real developments for area that the city has been waiting for something to come along....hell only GSA waits longer than VB. Someone needs to choke a city council till they wise up and jump aboard and try to keep this Korean company excited about Virginia Beach. As I see it, the hardest work for the city is already done, someone is already knocking at the door......dammit!

That guy sounds like an idiot! The city needs to fire him if he blows this! These types of develpments don't just get tossed out to places like this area very often. The pentagon has already said they want to leave they need to think of the cities future. I have a feeling that this will go away and so will Oceana. Then the city will have absolutely nothing to show for itself cause they piss this away! I don't like the responses that I'm seeing from any of the reps mentioned in that article. I guarantee that Thelma Drake will try and step in to stop this. I support her but not on this. I just don't understand why everyone around here is on DOD go nads?

You know, I live not far from here -- drive by regularly, look at the site from the south all of the time, and I am having a tough time seeing how this fits on the Rudee Loop site. They show a marina -- there is nothing there but the channel going under the bridge on Gen Booth. Rudee Loop is north of the water -- if this is a rendering, then you have to be looking east, and there is nothing like this to the east -- only the beach in two blocks.

As much as this is exciting, there is nothing here but some renderings -- and this guy wants to be treated like a potentate? If he has the deep pockets he says, then what is the air fare to him? And his "broker" is a guy who ran a martial arts studio? Sorry, the warning bells are going nuts on this one, as much as I like the potential.

In all honesty it looks like these were drawn up to fit in some other city. Looking at the buildings and landscapes around these rendered buildings, there's nothing that looks like anything in VA. My guesses are (a) the settings were just generated that way b/c they didn't think it mattered, or (b) these were drawn up for a proposal somewhere else initially, and now these images are being flashed around in VB.

I so hope the beach doesn't blow this. This is seriously that big break they were hoping for if they were to lose the military. It is just a matter of time before Oceana packs up its bags and heads for quieter land.

If VB jumps on board with this, it will be a huge gateway to future developments and could easily put the oceanfront on par with cities like Miami.

Virginia Beach, welcome to big boy town. It is time to act like a major city on the east coast. Doing something like this will more than just put it on the map.......(oh and it might help Nofolk's chances of ever getting a pro team too, but whatever. VB will probably find some stupid way to tank this idea like they have so many before.....just they were never this big.)

I am actually nervous what VB is going to do with this sitting in their lap.

The city will need way more details about this investment before any decisions are going to be made. These renderings aren't even created with the sites in mind. They are just conceptual drawings. For this to succeed, the city will need to snub the Navy and many of its citizens. For the company to pull this off, they must be willing to be under intense scrutiny about their qualifications and be willing to make several revisions to their proposal for the project to make sense. I bet their aren't even hard numbers or pro formas done yet to outline the costs involved with thes developments. Is there any market research? These are vital parcels that the city has held onto for the right development. They need to make sure they aren't giving these parcels away to an entity that wont follow through.

The city will proceed with caution as they should. I am glad I dont have to make the decisions they do going forward.

I have that same gut feeling that the VB council will find a way to screw this up as well. And to think I used to wonder why my friends and coworkers counted the days until they could move from here to Atlanta, NY or another "real" city. And the comments I'm seeing are mind blowing to me. If people want small town atmosphere, then this ain't the place and it hasn't been going on 25 years now. I forsee the day where Oceana closes down and the city is left looking dumb with their thumbs up their collective arses for passing up on the opportunity of a lifetime. I love VB to death but even I sometimes get the itch to move to a place where change, progress and forward thinking is met with open arms and not ignorant stubborness.

Archived