4 billion dollar project announced for Va. Beach

Telmnstr

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the posters necessarily have small town minds. It just sounds like they need more information about this developer before the city leaps forward. This reminds me of the mega developments that have been proposed over the years in Northern Virginia that have been voted down time and time again. A large concern should be the overall effect this will have on infrastructure which most likely the city would have to pay for. There are alot of questions surrounding this project that needs addressing. I would wait and see how this proposal pans out before getting excited.

Reading the the pilot comments it does seem like some people actually get it. One person even went so far as to call the Navy a chain around VB's neck. As for the rest of the posters I wish we could build a fence around Pungo and dump them there. j/k Seriously though so long a most residents think we'll be better off bull dozing all urban development and replacing it with farm land we'll never get anywhere.

Time for my 2 cents.

I'm skeptical of the Korean proposal. Not because I doubt the financial backing or ability to build stunning structures (well for America at least, looks like typical Shanghai/Dubai architecture), but because I don't think it will ever get approved in the proposed areas due to height restrictions. It also appears that VB officials unintentionally offended the Korean developers. Ignorance of cultures.

What is being proposed would require VB and HR in general to turn into a cross between Vancouver and Miami. Is the area ready for that? Are people ready for gradual change from a middle-America East Coast area into an American playground for wealthy Asians? (It's the only way the economics of 50-story condo towers make sense.) Are you ready for skyrocketing real estate prices if this vision comes to fruition? Still, I like the proposals for Lake Ridge and Rudee Loop.

As for the other proposals, I like the AH concept for the Dome site mainly because of the proposed monorail. AH may be boring but we know what we're getting and their proposal should be sound. If the Dallas company's Hyatt proposal is solid and meets Navy restrictions, I would start moving on that. Garfield's other hotel conference centers look better than anything HR currently has, and the Puerto Rican example is quite attractive. Also, Hyatt is the best brand VB is gonna get and would be a first for the region. I doubt HR would land a higher tier brand like Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, or the W.

I really feel that the navy wants to leave Oceana anyways. This is a key opportunity for the region to rely on something other DOD! DOD has been bullying this region for too long and we now have opportunity knocking at the regions doors and should take this very serious.

I think the city should listen to what the Koreans have to say! It will boost the regions airports and help the state with the revenue. This could also be a plus for money for transportation issues in the region.

I'm tired of DOD threatening this area. This area has soo much potential to be a nice metro area. Don't get me wrong, I support our military very much. I just think its time for this metro to grow up and be what it should be. Can you imagine with international attention that companies will look at this region as a awesome place to do business. This is the break that we have all been discussing for sometime now and people are laughing at it! Come on guys!

Why are the Koreans even considering Virginia Beach? Most locals don't go in the water at the beach, I know I won't. They could buy their own island in the Caribbean with that kind of money. Their reasoning escapes me. Don't they build their own indoor beaches in Korea and Japan? And VA is so far away from Korea, why not invest in the South Pacific? Maybe they want an area that isn't affect by tsunamis.

They must not know about the underground gas pockets that can cause underwater landslides and tsunamis, or the volcano on the other side of the Atlantic just waiting to slide into the ocean. :D

Those crazy Koreans... :P

Why are the Koreans even considering Virginia Beach? Most locals don't go in the water at the beach, I know I won't. They could buy their own island in the Caribbean with that kind of money. Their reasoning escapes me. Don't they build their own indoor beaches in Korea and Japan? And VA is so far away from Korea, why not invest in the South Pacific? Maybe they want an area that isn't affect by tsunamis.

They must not know about the underground gas pockets that can cause underwater landslides and tsunamis, or the volcano on the other side of the Atlantic just waiting to slide into the ocean. :D

We have a pretty decent asian population in Hampton Roads...

I posted a comment on Pilot that said we should let North Korea build a Ryugyong hotel at the ocean front... But they keep switching comment banks and it messes up the flow (Stories and associated comments).

I'm actually surprised China or someone doesn't embark on these types of products. They are flush with cash from us buying their imports, and our gov't won't let them buy things like oil companies...

On another note, wouldn't it be a blow to the locals? All those in power could have new rich people on the block that dwarf them, so I would imagine there would be jealousy as they loose the top spots. I think this would happen if gambling was legalized as well, the big players would move in and the current big players would loose their top spots.

Think of the international exposure Virginia Beach could have if we just open our eyes and let the outside world in. Every major City in the USA has a "China Town" or "Korea Town". If this gets built we are instantly going to be in the same league as Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Miami. Imagine movies being filmed in Virginia Beach! Imagine our beaches being the premiere resort destination. Imagine being a direct competitor to Miami! I'm all for this project. I don't care if i have to sit in traffic for hours.

We have a pretty decent asian population in Hampton Roads...

I posted a comment on Pilot that said we should let North Korea build a Ryugyong hotel at the ocean front... But they keep switching comment banks and it messes up the flow (Stories and associated comments).

I'm actually surprised China or someone doesn't embark on these types of products. They are flush with cash from us buying their imports, and our gov't won't let them buy things like oil companies...

On another note, wouldn't it be a blow to the locals? All those in power could have new rich people on the block that dwarf them, so I would imagine there would be jealousy as they loose the top spots. I think this would happen if gambling was legalized as well, the big players would move in and the current big players would loose their top spots.

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic, well maybe about the tsunami thing. Yea the beach is great... the water not so much. The last time I went, I cut my foot on glass and swam next to a diaper. The beach really isn't a destination for locals, as much as OBX is. It's a great get away for out-of-towners, including Koreans, but come on, with deep pockets like this guy, you could build anywhere. I'm just curious as to why he chose Virginia Beach. They must be doing something right.

Can you envision the Asian advertisements, "Virginia Beach... So Special, You've Never Heard of It"?

Or... "Virginia Beach... Get Lost." --That's what the message seems to be from residents.

That was sarcasm. :D

Wow, most of the comments in this section are very positive. I think the area is pretty evenly split on this. Quite honestly, I have never seen a development generate this type of buzz in HR. They were talking about it at work today, I even heard people talking about it at 7-11. Whatever comes out of this at the very least it has gotten people in this area to dust off their underused imaginations, which can only be a benefit.

I wish I would ring the necks of some of the people who post idiotic comments on the pilot. It's one thing to oppose the development, some people just don't like the big city environment and all that comes with it, fine. But at least post educated responses with valid points. One guy said something like, "isn't immigration already a problem?" This guy is completely STUPID! No is talking about immigration, we're talking about tourism.

Archived