saturn leaving spring hill

satalac

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well technically this hasn't been a 'Saturn' plant for a couple of years, because the union voted for it to produce any GM products and join the rest of the UAW contract, as opposed to the special 'Saturn only, no layoffs' contract they had. I really don't think this is a big deal at all, in fact, I think it becomes better because a product that will probably sell more than a Saturn will be made in Middle Tennessee. GM is doing much better, and I think this will be a good thing in the long run.

PS. They will probably produce some Saturns, too, because Saturn's product lineup will be expanding in the near future, and so they will probably have new products to make in Spring Hill.

Well technically this hasn't been a 'Saturn' plant for a couple of years, because the union voted for it to produce any GM products and join the rest of the UAW contract, as opposed to the special 'Saturn only, no layoffs' contract they had. I really don't think this is a big deal at all, in fact, I think it becomes better because a product that will probably sell more than a Saturn will be made in Middle Tennessee. GM is doing much better, and I think this will be a good thing in the long run.

PS. They will probably produce some Saturns, too, because Saturn's product lineup will be expanding in the near future, and so they will probably have new products to make in Spring Hill.

As long as they continue producing cars in Spring Hill is all that really matters. If this results in more cars being built there, all the better. The fact that GM is investing $700 Million in the plant means that they have long term plans to continue production there.

Most of the investment wil be going to retooling the presses from what was originally producing just plastic panels(unique to the Saturn) to metal, allowing the plant to manufacture a whole line of assorted GM vehicles as needed. This is definitely a good thing for the company and the town. Eventually towards the end of 2007 we should see the beginning of a wide range of GM cars running down the assembly line. Even though the Saturn logo is still all over the plant buildings, it has officially been renamed the Spring Hill Manufacturing Plant for a few years. I have heard that in the future we might get another new Saturn model, but am not sure if it will be built here exclusively.

Most of the investment wil be going to retooling the presses from what was originally producing just plastic panels(unique to the Saturn) to metal, allowing the plant to manufacture a whole line of assorted GM vehicles as needed. This is definitely a good thing for the company and the town. Eventually towards the end of 2007 we should see the beginning of a wide range of GM cars running down the assembly line. Even though the Saturn logo is still all over the plant buildings, it has officially been renamed the Spring Hill Manufacturing Plant for a few years. I have heard that in the future we might get another new Saturn model, but am not sure if it will be built here exclusively.

Archived