Charlotte has been moved into Agricultural Zone 8

monsoon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just where do you get your information? I don't see any long range forecast that shows anything more than a day or two in a row of slightly below normal temps and then right back up to normal or above readings. The GFS models that I've seen show plenty of cold air draining down from Canada by the middle of next week, but it's spreading down to the Gulf Coast and then over us into the Northeast. The Southeast and everything along the eastern side of the Appalachians from Georgia to about the DC area looks like it will miss out on most of the cold because the blocking ridge that has dominated our area for a month doesn't appear to be going away totally. Things could change, obviously, but I don't see where the GFS shows North Carolina getting walloped by anything bitterly cold in the foreseeable future.

I think we will see snow somewhere between the 20th and 30th. We might just be in a pattern where things will get very active down here during that timeframe. Maybe two snowstorms. And yes, we will see days with highs below freezing. Things are coming together with the models.

The daffodils are emerging.

Somewhere in my parents house, I have an 8mm home movie taken in the early 1980s in Greensboro. It captures a late March snowfall, the day before spring officially begins. I remember zooming in on the daffodils blossoming in the yard.

March snows were a little unusual then, but not overwhelmingly so. Even the first week of April could sometimes bring a minor (non-sticking) snow.

This is one seriously warm winter!

Bump.

NOAA is forecasting normal January weather to finally settle in this week. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 20s. This could cool the ground temperature a bit. If we get winter weather next week, it might stick and cause more problems than that last episode a few days ago did.

Archived