Solas

dmccall

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just talking with a friend walking b there on Sunday thinking "too bad they didn't combine with the property next door and make something cohesive and bigger in the entire space between Armadillo and Helios. I think the N&O mentioned the reason this took so long to break ground (clear the lot) is the parking requirement.

Exactly what is this project? Is there any more info on what this project will include? Thank you! :)

This is the owner of Hibernion's new thing. (Niles/Nigel!?) It's a 3 story entertainment complex. First story is going to be a restaurant, second a club, third a Vegas style open air lounge.

15,000 sq ft.

Interesting choice considering the rumor has it Rush and Aura aren't doing so hot.

The property to the left of the Armadillo Grill parking lot, the former Capitol Electronics store, is owned by My Three B's, a holding company of former Hurricane Bates Battaglia and his dad.

If Hibernian and the Battaglias could have worked something out, there could hav been something neat here. Something slightly set off the sidewalk for outdoor seating -- a little more than Armadillo, but less than Helios -- and two or three stories for room for a restaurant/bar/club/etc. Or maybe a storefront as part of the building, with bar/restaurant on top, a la Rockford above the salons.

I've never been to Rush/Aura, but have been to Hibernian many times... Rush/Aura wants to be an exclusive, big city club, and is only open a few hours a night, a few days a week. Hibernian's "come as you are" attitude is a lot more appealing to me personally than the dress code/cover charge attitude up the street. I think Nile (no s, according to a friend who knows him from playing trivia at the Cary location) has done a better job of creating a welcoming atmosphere. Having the restaurant open for lunch, dinner and late night makes it easier to pay the rent than overcharging club goers who are often attracted to the new, shiny kid on the block.

The parking-requirement delays are unfortunate for this area. Glenwood is what it is due to buildings that were grandfathered the requirements or had creative parking solutions -- Rockford, Hibernian, the Creamery, 518, Firefly, etc.

• 1 month later...

From photo 2, it looks like it is the old Pine State office building (between Red Room and Sullivans). Notice the parking deck behind it. Here's the map pointing out the building (Glenwood and Tucker)

Great reuse of an othewise yucky shoebox.

Thats a pretty good bet based on the combined 6000 sqft and 1950's criteria.

Solas looks to be massed in a way so that in can comfortably rest right against Helios. I for one am happy with some smaller cool looking buildings thrown in the mix...some historic sense of scale is maintained and you get a chance for some variety in architecture which to me Glenwood needs as the threat to McCondo the whole area (222, Paramount, West) is everpresent.....

Finally time that Glenwood South gets a Rooftop Bar. I've been waiting for one of these for a while.

As far as Rush/Aura not doing well, I can believe it. Number one, they try to be a little exclusive. I like their idea, but a couple things are killing that place. For Rush, first of all, its VERY small inside. As well, Rush is no smoking inside, which is nice, but face it in this area at this time, things like that just don't fly too well. For Aura, its kinda hidden if you're unfamiliar with the area. Last time I went there is was like a $7 Cover....No Thank you!! Lucky B's - Around The Corner, is killing Rush/Aura, and if you go there as often as I do, you know why I say that. Everyone that would go to Rush/Aura has gone to Lucky B's or gone over to the Depot to Ess Lounge.

However, this major crowding at Lucky's does get quite bothersome sometimes, so this new place will hopefully be a great change of scenery!

i wouldn't be surprised if some doors start to shut in and around this area due to oversaturation/high rents.

Good, maybe rents will start coming down and other people (who aren't wealthy) will have an opportunity to buy around there. :silly:

From photo 2, it looks like it is the old Pine State office building (between Red Room and Sullivans). Notice the parking deck behind it. Here's the map pointing out the building (Glenwood and Tucker)

Great reuse of an othewise yucky shoebox.

I was really hoping they would just knock down this building and start all over. Being a corner lot and room to go up, they would just mow it. But it does not look so bad, but they may be looking for more room in 5-10 years after this built on such a great block of land.

sounds like a bold move in this area. i wouldn't be surprised if some doors start to shut in and around this area due to oversaturation/high rents. this could be good for fay. street as some places might seek that as the new area to go.

I think the issue is all bars are opening up DT and not much is opening up any place else (outside of North hills). There is barely a bar in North Raleigh, yet that is where most people are moving/home growth. People are going DT. I think once Empire opens up some of these buildings they are sitting on, more places will open up. Plus get the CC up and running.

On a another note, I am amazed at how many people go to The Big Easy (21-30 year old crowd) after 11:00 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I go in there and I am old fart at the bar (and I don't think of myself as that old)

On a another note, I am amazed at how many people go to The Big Easy (21-30 year old crowd) after 11:00 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I go in there and I am old fart at the bar (and I don't think of myself as that old)

Haha, I'm one of those early 20s (23) people you see in there on the weekends.

During the planning commission presentation, they said they are talking to Heilos about possibly tearing down Heilo's north patio wall and building a combined patio for the two places. It would give the space a unified feel, and provide more seating than the two places would be able to offer individually. The outside seats at Hibernian are quite popular, especially when the weather is nice. Rooftops and sidewalks each have their own vibes, and it is good to see Solas provide both.

It is good to hear the Big Easy is doing well. I was a little worried that it didn't stand out enough to be noticed, but traffic seems to have consistently picked up since the Christmas parade. There seems to be at least a few people there most nights, and a good crowd on the weekends as well.

Archived