Solas

dmccall

During the planning commission presentation, they said they are talking to Heilos about possibly tearing down Heilo's north patio wall and building a combined patio for the two places. It would give the space a unified feel, and provide more seating than the two places would be able to offer individually. The outside seats at Hibernian are quite popular, especially when the weather is nice. Rooftops and sidewalks each have their own vibes, and it is good to see Solas provide both.

I agree that this building looks good. But the wall where the word Solas is written looks as if it will block a lot of the view? Maybe the wall is an elevator/stairwell shaft? But in anycase the building does look nice and kind of 1960's - ish from the outside. It should do well in that area.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The word "Solas" is close to the north side of Helios' building. According to the planning commission presentation, there will be a stairwell inside Solas in that area to get to at least the second floor, if not third/rooftop. There has to be a somewhat high wall around the roof to keep people from falling over. People standing up or sitting on barstools should have a decent view of downtown, unless 222 dominates the line of sight.

I spoke to a "source close to the situation" who said:

"The wave project unfortunately has not come to fruition (and most likely will not) - it was an adaptive reuse with the addition to the top- I am unsure of the current fate of the existing building. The rEvolve house is another project that has not made it past schematic design with no foreseeable built conclusion. It is a proposed new private residence on an existing un-built ITB lot. The project was tailored to meet the client's specific needs and wish list. Many cool projects are not realized for various reasons- and it is difficult to get clients to buy into unique and daring concepts"

Please say again:

I spoke to a "source close to the situation" who said:

"The wave project unfortunately has not come to fruition (and most likely will not) - it was an adaptive reuse with the addition to the top- I am unsure of the current fate of the existing building. The rEvolve house is another project that has not made it past schematic design with no foreseeable built conclusion. It is a proposed new private residence on an existing un-built ITB lot. The project was tailored to meet the client's specific needs and wish list. Many cool projects are not realized for various reasons- and it is difficult to get clients to buy into unique and daring concepts"

What exactly is "The wave project"? I thought that we were talking about the Solas? There is no wave on this building. Please explain in a more exact way what the above QUOTE is speaking of, please! Yes, I am a little slow! :wacko:

Thank you! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Solas is planning to open in July, FYI. The patio area is finished... I predict it will be a big success on the Glenwood South strip, if only due to that feature.

I know so many people that are looking forward to this place opening it's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing more projects involving outdoor/roof bars/restaurants. I know I'll try and make it there opening week.

Looks like Dana has a date for us on gogoraleigh:

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2008/06/30/sola...o-open-mid-july

July 17th!

NOTE: We are apparently in the Twilight Zone. The above information was based on the countdown clock on Solas' website. However, as of 10:35pm on 6/1/08, the site now reports that Solas will be open in 17 days, 49 hours, 24 mins, 21 secs. Apparently the clock is not actually functional. Oh well. We'll keep waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

If this info has been stated before sorry, I have watched and tracked this building but not the bar itself but I talked to one of the bartenders that I financially support or should I say is "on the subway scoundrels staff" He is nearly a VP in that structure. :thumbsup:

He told me that he is going to work at this place and they plan on opening on the 30th. They start training next week. He said the first floor is a restaurant, the 2nd floor is a lounge and the 3rd floor or rooftop bar is a 25 year plus old bar/lounge. So no one under 25 will be allowed on the rooftop. He was told that the expectation is that the drinks he will serving will take about 1 and 1/2 minutes and not as many shots as you might find in a 21 year old mostly bar. The expectation is that he could make some money.

So no private club here and even though I guess they are looking at 25 as the mature crowd, the scoundrel here will be considered well above mature...maybe the weird old man at the bar if I go here. :shades:

Sorry if this is all known info.

He said the first floor is a restaurant, the 2nd floor is a lounge and the 3rd floor or rooftop bar is a 25 year plus old bar/lounge. So no one under 25 will be allowed on the rooftop.

Ah, damn. Well only 7 more months until I can visit the roof then.

• 2 weeks later...

The Raleigh Downtowner has an article about Solas with a few pictures. Apparently they will have a dress code and are considering charging a table or booth fee for the second and third floors. Personally, I just don't see Raleigh taking too well to table fees. I think the citizens of this city are too smart for that kind of rip-off. Sorry, but this is not Miami Beach.

I also saw the lights on last night. It looked very nice.

Archived