Solas

dmccall

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had a river running through downtown and Solas was on it with tables overlooking the river, I could see a table fee for those overlooking it, but as Raleigh is now....NO. A real shame if they go with that, they won't see me there. This isn't a city where space is limited either and they couldn't make that arguement being located in a city that sprawls for miles and miles.

Indeed, I could see this (table fees) working for a couple months, but people will eventually disperse again to their respective favorite bars. I can't blame Hibernian Entertainment for trying to rake in the money though early on. They have to pay for all that fancy stuff in that building.

Well we see that there are so many "select" citizens that Mint is still posting a loss each month and Quorum's high priced units are still not sold out. Last count was 18 sold, 18 unsold, but that's a little off topic. If I had the cash, I'd put a restaurant in the Edge Office space with a rooftop bar there where nobody over 35 is allowed on the roof. They could all wave across the street at the Solas crowd, and enjoy whatever $1 nightly special I dream up. No cover of any kind of course. There would also be a $5 food menu with at least 10 things on it. I see more pink polos starting fights and acting the part of riff raff than I ever see at Alibi, Dive Bar, Slims or Jackpot.

The Raleigh Downtowner has an article about Solas with a few pictures. Apparently they will have a dress code and are considering charging a table or booth fee for the second and third floors. Personally, I just don't see Raleigh taking too well to table fees. I think the citizens of this city are too smart for that kind of rip-off. Sorry, but this is not Miami Beach.

I also saw the lights on last night. It looked very nice.

In talking to my contact who will work there, he said that the tables they are talking of charging table fees are very large booths that sit many people and what I guess, there are not many of them. My guess there might be 2 or 3 of these. I would guess you get selected waitress service and other special perks. I did not read the downtowner article but that is what I was told by the guy who works there and training. So most tables will be come and get them but just a few large booths will have fees.

I also heard that they are hiring around 140 people so could be a big operation.

^^^ 140 ppl is a lot for a restaurant/bar. Must be one heck of an operation to need that many, but hey, that would be 140 more jobs in downtown that we didn't have and will help to continue building demand for housing that fits within the budget of the people who work in this industry in that part of town.

In talking to my contact who will work there, he said that the tables they are talking of charging table fees are very large booths that sit many people and what I guess, there are not many of them. My guess there might be 2 or 3 of these. I would guess you get selected waitress service and other special perks. I did not read the downtowner article but that is what I was told by the guy who works there and training. So most tables will be come and get them but just a few large booths will have fees.

I also heard that they are hiring around 140 people so could be a big operation.

All the article said was that they were thinking of charging table fees for the second and third floors, it didn't get any more specific. I think it also mentioned private rooms, so maybe that is what they are referring to, and it is usually a given that there is some sort of rental fee in order to use a private room in many restaurants, so that wouldn't be unusual.

But when I think of a "table fee" I think of "you must purchase a min. $200 bottle of something in order to sit down" and to me that just isn't cool. It goes hand in hand with the $12 dixie cups of ice with a little liquor they call "drinks" and the $40 minimum to use a credit card from my experiences. Which in turn brings in partons whose first words when they meet someone are "what kind of car do you drive?" and female patrons who wait for "sponsors" instead of purchasing their own drinks (I am a female; please don't flame). :sick:

that would be 140 more jobs in downtown that we didn't have and will help to continue building demand for housing that fits within the budget of the people who work in this industry in that part of town.

We can only hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

All in all, the building looks like it will be impressive. I'm very interested to see how it all turns out. I live stumbling distance from Solas, so I'm pretty anxious to see what it's like.

^^^ 140 ppl is a lot for a restaurant/bar. Must be one heck of an operation to need that many, but hey, that would be 140 more jobs in downtown that we didn't have and will help to continue building demand for housing that fits within the budget of the people who work in this industry in that part of town.

I am sure many of these people are part time like my friend as he will still be serving 2 pints of Guiness to the Scoundrel a couple of nights a week at the local watering hole. :shades::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by Solas on my way home from work. The sign is now up and a delivery truck was delivering food. It also looked like some audio equipment of some sort was being delivered or set up on the front patio. According to their website countdown clock, it looks like it will open tonight at midnight.

• 1 year later...

Interesting find. Any idea if you have to use Opentable to even be eligible for the contest? What exactly "vibrant" means to the voters too is unknown. There are 20 places just in Raleigh I would go before Solas and I consider them all more "vibrant". I suppose bragging rights do not depend on these sorts of things though...the election goes to those who voted...

From the looks of that list, it appears that those bars appeal to a certain demographic that enjoys spray-on tanning products and plenty of hair product for the guys.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what demographic populates the place. I'm just happy whenever I see a Raleigh establishment getting accolades for something relatively positive.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what demographic populates the place. I'm just happy whenever I see a Raleigh establishment getting accolades for something relatively positive.

Absolutely, I was just commenting to try to narrow down what the list creators meant by vibrant - as this definition will be couched in the demographic that the establishment serves.

• 1 year later...

Archived