Development

idlewild

• Whatever happened to the proposal to build a apartment complex at 4th and Union where the Greyhound bus station currently sits? Still happening?

• When will construction start on One Beale?

• When will construction begin on the UT Campus Bldg at Union/Manassas and the Research Park at Union/Pauline?

:unsure:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

• Whatever happened to the proposal to build a apartment complex at 4th and Union where the Greyhound bus station currently sits? Still happening?

• When will construction start on One Beale?

• When will construction begin on the UT Campus Bldg at Union/Manassas and the Research Park at Union/Pauline?

:unsure:

Just taking a look at the CCC's website I came up with a few non-scientific calculations. Of the $3.2 billion currently invested in downtown development, almost $2 billion [61%] is listed in the "planning stages," and is yet to move any dirt.

Of that roughly $2 billion figure:

--about 45% represents Med Center expansions, namely UT-Baptist Research Park [$45O mil] and the Le Bonheur expansions [$327 mil]

--about 3O% represents residential development

--about 14% represents hotel

It seems like a good number of projects, excuding those in the Med Center, are questionable, especially Horizon condos, Chisca hotel, and Trinity towers. I think eventually new projects will be announced to make up for these, but right now they don't seem very likely IMO. Fourth Street is supposed to be huge, but I think Cascade will wait as long as they can to see what other projects succeed/fall through before they make a real decision. But if Fourth Street does move forward, I'm betting they will go all out, and we'll see something similar in stature to One Beale. If that's the case, does anyone think the cancellation of Horizon and Trinity is really a bad thing?

Archived