Birmingham Area Wish List

tic404

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UAB is still a little far from being the best med school in the southeast. Duke, Rice/Baylor, UT, UNCCH, Emory, Vanderbilt, UVA, and if you want to lump Johns Hopkins are only a few of the more prestigious schools located in the south.

• 3 months later...

I feel that we should bring up any old discussions that could be discussed, and perhaps in the near future we could get the new mayor, council, etc., to take interest in our ideas.

I would like to start with Five Points South. This is a great, diverse, historical yet contemporary neighborhood that people love to visit. My first proposal is safety. CAPS have been doing a great job keeping downtown Birmingham safe(even though downtown isn't as populated as Southside), so I think that they should have an extremely strong prescence in Five Points South, along with B-Ham PD. I am pleased with the proposed Renaissance Hotel by Marriot down at 20th St. South and University Blvd, but perhaps one more hotel is needed. I like history as much as the next person, but Quinlan Castle needs to go because it's condition is not good at all. It should be torn down for a shiny, new mixed used development. I could also see a Cobb Theater going there which could be a concept for the Birmingham based company. The Brother Bryan Park should be cleaned up, and a nice, large pond with a huge water feature should be added to give a little more beauty to the park. Last but certainly not least, streets should be paved with high quality pavement in the immediate Five Points South area, and painted on to give the district a hip look.

University Blvd/car dealership area- Parts of this street has many vacant buildings, and they need to be fixed up or torn down. I can see many commercial companies added to "the blvd" area such as restaurants, retail, office, and entertainment. I heard that St. Vincents Hospital has(or is going to) purchased those low income apartments on University so that is a nice start. This area needs to be nice to serve as a link from Five Points South to Lakeview.

UAB/Railroad Reservation Park- Not much to say about this area. RRP needs to hurry and get started so that it could bring in residential spaces, offices, and arts and entertainment places. Research should be big in this area with the 14th Street corridor transformed into a inner city research corridor which connects to Innovation Depot on the Northside.

Glen Iris/Greensprings- One of the most diverse areas of town should enhance that. Where University Blvd. turns into Greensprings Hwy, this should be an area which acts as an international gateway with some research, retail, shopping, museums and entertainment catering to everyone, but inspired by Birmingham's Asian, and Hispanic community.

The Dart system should be an asset as each district prospers.

Northside(north of downtown), East-end, downtown may come soon. ;)

If a masterplan hasn't been organized, one should be organized, and the city council members of Southside should get up and do something. I hope that they look at these forums.

Archived