Lousiana Trivia

dan326

I saw this idea on another forum and that it would be a fun idea. Just post what trivia fact you know/find about Louisiana. I'll start off.

Louisiana operated under 5 capitals, 7 before it became a state in 1812.

Mobile Bay

Biloxi

New Orleans

Donaldsonville

Opelousas

Shreveport

Baton Rouge

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storyville was New Orleans' most famous & notorious red-light district.

The Superdome in New Orleans is the worlds largest steel-constructed room unobstructed by posts.

Height: 273 feet (82.3 meters), Diameter of Dome: 680 feet (210 meters), Area of Roof: 9.7 acres, Interior Space: 125,000,000 cubic feet, Total floor footage: 269,000 sq. ft. (82,342 sq. meters), Electrical Wiring: 400 miles (640 kilometers)

The Saint Charles streetcar line in New Orleans and the San Francisco, California cable cars are the nation's only mobile national monuments

Baton Rouge's Flag is a field of crimson representing the Indian nations that once resided there.

The first Tarzan movie was filmed in Louisiana, 1917.

In 1967, local sports visionary David Dixon and Louisiana governor John J. McKeithen toured the Astrodome in Houston, McKeithen was quoted as saying, "I want one of these, only bigger," in reference to the Astrodome itself. Eight years later, the Louisiana Superdome opened for its first New Orleans Saints game, and McKeithen certainly got his "bigger" wish, as the entire Houston Astrodome can fit inside the Superdome with all kinds of room to spare.

FYI, David Dixon eventually ended up founding the short-lived USFL in 1983.

6663f4d285ff44c599aeaf51b0be3695e3e2947c-250px-Louisiana_superdome_2004.jpg.medium.jpg

Archived