Lousiana Trivia

dan326

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The gay index is a comparative score, based on the percentage of people reporting in the 2000 U.S. Census that they lived in a same-sex partnership.

A score of 100 is the national norm. A number above 100 indicates that the local proportion of same-sex unmarried households is higher than the national average. For example, 140 would mean that the proportion was 40 percent higher than the national norm. A score of 60 would be 40 percent lower.

National norm: 100

Here's something you might not know about...

There is "themed land" in the Disneyland Park called "New Orleans Square," which is completely modeled and themed after 19th century New Orleans. It opened in 1966, and features all kinds of shopping and dining destinations. When the park opened in 1966, then-New Oreans mayor Victor Schiro was made mayor of New Orleans Square, and in return, Victor Schiro made Walt Disney an honorary citizen of New Orleans. A similarly-themed area can be found in Disneyland's Adventurleand in Tokyo, as well.

Some photos of New Orleans Square:

new%20orleans%20square.jpg

010535.jpg

DSC01611.JPG

Even my own Orleans Street is replicated! ;)

DSC01859.JPG

Number of restaurants in Baton Rouge over the years:

• 1906 : 12

• 1929 : 84

• 1931 : 88

• 1948 : 245

• 1971 : 436

• 1999 : 625

• 2007 : 784

Also in the early 19th century Baton Rouge was described as "a dirty little town of 60 cabins":lol:

Here's something you might not know about...

There is "themed land" in the Disneyland Park called "New Orleans Square," which is completely modeled and themed after 19th century New Orleans. It opened in 1966, and features all kinds of shopping and dining destinations. When the park opened in 1966, then-New Oreans mayor Victor Schiro was made mayor of New Orleans Square, and in return, Victor Schiro made Walt Disney an honorary citizen of New Orleans. A similarly-themed area can be found in Disneyland's Adventurleand in Tokyo, as well.

Some photos of New Orleans Square:

new%20orleans%20square.jpg

010535.jpg

DSC01611.JPG

Even my own Orleans Street is replicated! ;)

DSC01859.JPG

Number of restaurants in Baton Rouge over the years:
  • 1906 : 12

• 1929 : 84

• 1931 : 88

• 1948 : 245

• 1971 : 436

• 1999 : 625

• 2007 : 784

Also in the early 19th century Baton Rouge was described as "a dirty little town of 60 cabins":lol:

Two of the most visited city parks in the country are located in New Orleans:

America's Most Visited City Parks

Link

Park Name {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} City {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Visitorship

1. Central Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New York, New York {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 25,000,000

2. Lincoln Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Chicago, Illinois {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 20,000,000

3. Golden Gate Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Francisco, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 13,000,000

4. Mission Bay Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Diego, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

5. Forest Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} St. Louis, Missouri {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

6. Balboa Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Diego, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

7. City Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New Orleans, Louisiana {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 11,000,000

8. Coney Island Beach and Boardwalk {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New York, New York {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,600,000

9. Fairmount Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Philadelphia, PA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,000,000

10. The National Mall {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Washington, D.C. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,000,000

25. Lake Harriet Park/Lyndale Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Minneapolis, Minnesota {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,250,000

26. Audubon Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New Orleans, Louisiana {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

27. Rock Creek Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Washington, D.C. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

28. Lyon Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} St. Louis, Missouri {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

29. Garden Of The Gods Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Colorado Springs, Colorado {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1,750,000

30. Monon Greenway Indianapolis, Indiana 1,200,000

Two of the most visited city parks in the country are located in New Orleans:

America's Most Visited City Parks

Link

Park Name {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} City {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Visitorship

1. Central Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New York, New York {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 25,000,000

2. Lincoln Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Chicago, Illinois {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 20,000,000

3. Golden Gate Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Francisco, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 13,000,000

4. Mission Bay Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Diego, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

5. Forest Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} St. Louis, Missouri {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

6. Balboa Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} San Diego, California {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 12,000,000

7. City Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New Orleans, Louisiana {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 11,000,000

8. Coney Island Beach and Boardwalk {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New York, New York {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,600,000

9. Fairmount Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Philadelphia, PA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,000,000

10. The National Mall {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Washington, D.C. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 10,000,000

25. Lake Harriet Park/Lyndale Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Minneapolis, Minnesota {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,250,000

26. Audubon Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} New Orleans, Louisiana {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

27. Rock Creek Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Washington, D.C. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

28. Lyon Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} St. Louis, Missouri {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,000,000

29. Garden Of The Gods Park {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Colorado Springs, Colorado {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 1,750,000

30. Monon Greenway Indianapolis, Indiana 1,200,000

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bring this back up to the top...

The Saint Charles Avenue streetcar line in New Orleans is the oldest continuously operating street railway system in the world. The line has been running since 1835.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This was a fun thread I'd really like to see moving again... :thumbsup:

Here's a really cool piece of Louisiana trivia:

Three of the five longest bridges in the world, and four of the ten longest, are located in South Louisiana.

1. Lake Ponchartrain Causeway- 24 miles

2. Manchac Swamp Bridge (I-55)- 23 miles

5. Atchafalaya Swamp Freeway (I-10)- 18 miles

9. Bonnet Carre Spillway (I-10)- 11 miles

Also, just for some FYI, the I-10 Twin Spans over Lake Ponchartrain, and New Orleans' version of the Huey P. Long Bridge over the Mississippi River, are ranked 21 and 36, respectively.

Wow Nate, thanks for your research! Very interesting :thumbsup: Impressive stats! Louisiana is representin'.

I had no idea 4 out of 10! I was unaware the I-55 Manchac Pass bridge was that long! I just kinda thought the I-10/Atchafaylaya Bridge was La.'s 2nd longest.....For some reason I thought the Causeway was 26....oh well 24 is still #1.

That Chesapeake Bay Bridge/"Tunnel" in Virginia I guess does not count bec. of the tunnels??

Interesting stuff, I like this thread guys, did you know this........

The Madonna Church of Bayou Goula is said to be the smallest church in the world. It is approximately 6 square feet in area-room for about three people (hopefully standing facing each other)

11_2001_madonna_chapel_04.jpg

Located along the River Rd, the church has a mass once a year on August 15 to celebrate the "Assumption of the Blessed Mother".

• 3 weeks later...

Did not know if I should post this in the "Weather" thread or not?? Meant to post this yesterday. Here is my contribution...this was called the Mother of all Artic Blast!

The All-Time Coldest Day in Louisiana and much of the Eastern U.S. was on yesterday's February 13th date way back in 1899. This is almost too hard to believe :blink::wacko:

Coldest temp ever recored -16 in Bastrop; -5 Shreveport; 2 Baton Rouge; 7 in New Orleans with the Mississippi River froze over with ice 2" thick!!!

The temp even got down to 29 way down in Miami FL!

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about Tulane in the Lagniappe thread made me think about this "interesting" fact:

Talk show host and former mayor of Cincinnati Jerry Springer graduated from Tulane University in New Orleans with a B.A. in Political Science in 1965. :lol:

Archived