Another Wal-Mart to the Huntsville Area

codyg1985

Another Wal-mart, along with a 14-screen theater, is coming to the rapidly-growing area of northwest Madison County.

IMO this will be bad for the existing University Drive Wal-Mart. Many people from the area of the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter shop at that existing Wal-Mart. A better location IMO would be northeast of town (Winchester or US 72 east), but I'm sure a lot of those people don't really want a Wal-Mart in their backyard.

I also think that if growth along the Athens-Huntsville US 72 corridor remains unchecked that US 72 could get as bad as US 280 in Birmingham.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this will be the 13th Wal-Mart owned store in the Huntsville-Decatur area. And #14 (Northeast Huntsville) shouldn't be too far off.

This development would have been better out here in Northeast Huntsville. West Madison County already has 2 movie theaters (another coming soon) and two Wal-Marts. Northeast Madison County has no Wal-Marts or movie theaters. Maybe it is the NIMBYs out here, but I don't think anyone would mind if Wal-Mart built a store at 72 and Shields. Their first proposal at Harris Hill was a bad idea- the site is great for a small shopping center, but not a big-box store like Wal-Mart.

From the site plan shown in the Times, it looks like there aren't any other big-box stores going in the development.

Another Wal-mart, along with a 14-screen theater, is coming to the rapidly-growing area of northwest Madison County.

IMO this will be bad for the existing University Drive Wal-Mart. Many people from the area of the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter shop at that existing Wal-Mart. A better location IMO would be northeast of town (Winchester or US 72 east), but I'm sure a lot of those people don't really want a Wal-Mart in their backyard.

I also think that if growth along the Athens-Huntsville US 72 corridor remains unchecked that US 72 could get as bad as US 280 in Birmingham.

So this will be the 13th Wal-Mart owned store in the Huntsville-Decatur area. And #14 (Northeast Huntsville) shouldn't be too far off.

This development would have been better out here in Northeast Huntsville. West Madison County already has 2 movie theaters (another coming soon) and two Wal-Marts. Northeast Madison County has no Wal-Marts or movie theaters. Maybe it is the NIMBYs out here, but I don't think anyone would mind if Wal-Mart built a store at 72 and Shields. Their first proposal at Harris Hill was a bad idea- the site is great for a small shopping center, but not a big-box store like Wal-Mart.

From the site plan shown in the Times, it looks like there aren't any other big-box stores going in the development.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Chase Creek Site Plan

For years, I've been trying to convince people that Wal-Mart will probably build a store at the corner of Shields and 72 East. But it hasn't been until recently that I got the proof. First, the Chamber of Commerce's Major Retail Map showed the chain had plans to build a store there. Then I found the site plan (click on above link). These conceptual plans call for a ~135,000 sq. ft. "big-box" store (Wal-Mart), a 40,000 sq. ft junior anchor (shown there as a grocery store, though I have my doubts about that), and about 40,000 sq. ft. of smaller shops, which will probably be filled by the Wal-Mart "follower" stores. such as Hibbetts, GameStop, Dollar Tree, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lowe's pop up near this center, possibly across 72?

While it's Wal-Marts strategy to completely encircle Huntsville, kind of like fortress outposts, it's hard to get too excited about

another one. This area of town/county is devoid of retail and for some reason is taking a long time to be served despite the large number

of subdivisons and crowded schools. The sorry road infrastructure is probably the hold up, it is being addressed, but in 2008 we are still driving

on a Federal Highway that basically hasn't changed in 50 years, same is true for North Parkway from Max Luther to the TN state line.

The Harris Hill project will be a nice addition, this Wal Mart..not so much.

Chase Creek Site Plan

For years, I've been trying to convince people that Wal-Mart will probably build a store at the corner of Shields and 72 East. But it hasn't been until recently that I got the proof. First, the Chamber of Commerce's Major Retail Map showed the chain had plans to build a store there. Then I found the site plan (click on above link). These conceptual plans call for a ~135,000 sq. ft. "big-box" store (Wal-Mart), a 40,000 sq. ft junior anchor (shown there as a grocery store, though I have my doubts about that), and about 40,000 sq. ft. of smaller shops, which will probably be filled by the Wal-Mart "follower" stores. such as Hibbetts, GameStop, Dollar Tree, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lowe's pop up near this center, possibly across 72?

Is there any explicit proof that this is a Wal-Mart? At only 135,000 sq. ft., that sounds more like a traditional Target than it does Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart isn't in the habit of building "regular" stores that much anymore; especially in the south where the Super Center concept is so concentrated now. And quite honestly, I can't see Wal-Mart NOT building a Super Center in that area considering the Super Target planned at Moores Mill.

Take Wal-Mart's other pending plans on 72 W for example, that's going to be close to a 200,000 sq. ft. store in a much more developed area of Huntsville and within close distance to several other existing Wal-Mart's. Just an opinion, but I don't see this parcel being a Wal-Mart at all. Wal-Mart would take the opportunity on 72 E to go ahead with a full Super Center in order to compete with the planned Super Target.

I'll believe it when I see if it's to truly become a Wal-Mart...

Is there any explicit proof that this is a Wal-Mart? At only 135,000 sq. ft., that sounds more like a traditional Target than it does Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart isn't in the habit of building "regular" stores that much anymore; especially in the south where the Super Center concept is so concentrated now. And quite honestly, I can't see Wal-Mart NOT building a Super Center in that area considering the Super Target planned at Moores Mill.

Take Wal-Mart's other pending plans on 72 W for example, that's going to be close to a 200,000 sq. ft. store in a much more developed area of Huntsville and within close distance to several other existing Wal-Mart's. Just an opinion, but I don't see this parcel being a Wal-Mart at all. Wal-Mart would take the opportunity on 72 E to go ahead with a full Super Center in order to compete with the planned Super Target.

Like I said in the original post, and what Huntsville_secede linked to above, it's on the Chamber of Commerce's Major Retail Map. That's the proof. And I agree that it's too small for a Super Wal-Mart, but this is only a conceptual site plan. It might be that the Supercenter will take up the planned shopping center space (~210,000 sq. ft) and a retail strip will be built on one of the outparcels, like they did at the Wal-Marts on South/North Parkway.

Agreed. I really don't another Wal-Mart either, but unfortunately, it's become a necessity. And since gas prices are so high now, and there is no public transit whatsoever available there, most people would rather stay on this side of the mountain as much as possible. And about the infrastructure- I'm just glad they aren't building this on Winchester. They just need to impose a building moratorium along that road until they can widen it all the way to Tennessee. With 72 East, it's part of an Appalachian road corridor, so it gets the "fast-track" when it comes to federal funding. So I'm not as worried about 72 as I am with Winchester.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out they pulled out of the Shields Road location if they were planning there and that someone has secured another anchor willing to move forward. I'm sure if they did pull out of that particular location, they secured enough land elsewhere in the same area already.

Another sidenote... Although it would be on the large side of average, I could even see possibly a Belk store considering that's one of the major retail players in the area that isn't represented at the conceptual Harris Hill site. Their average store is usually 60,000 to 70,000 although they have stores as large as 250,000 to 300,000. Their only locations are South Parkway and University in the primary Huntsville market and with Kohl's and JC Penny potentially headed to Harris Hill, I could see Belk following.

I heartily disagree that Wal-Mart will pull out of the 72 West location near Balch Rd. That area (Monrovia/North Madison)has perfect demographics for a Super Center and is one of a very few places in the South with that large a population which doesn't have one already. With further growth predicted in Monrovia, it will be an even stronger market for them.

In regards to Belk, it is hard to see them placing a free standing store there until other retail (specifically, Harris Hill) is built and that area becomes a retail "destination." As it is right now, it would be just a Belk or Kohl's on the side of a highway without much traffic draw. I predict the Chase Town Center will be a Home Depot or Lowe's with a Publix or Kroger going in the "Food Store" space. With all of the new construction on the Winchester corridor, the area is crying out for a home improvement retailer.

David, I dont' think anyone was referring to Wal-Mart leaving the 72 West project. They've actually broken ground on that if I'm not mistaken. And you're comment about the area not already having a wal-mart and the suggestion that it's underserved... Just so you know, there are 3 Wal-Marts within 10 miles of the Balch road location: University at Research Park (5 miles), Madison Blvd at I-565 (7 miles) and Highway 72 at I-65 (10 miles). I'd say that's pretty well served.

We're all talking about Shields Road at 72 East (over Chapman Mountain). Harris Hill is in the works already if I'm not mistaken. Jman can correct me on that but I believe ground work has already begun on preparing the infrastructure. Kohl's, Belk or Home Depot wouldn't be at all out of line to go ahead with work on the Shield's Road site if indeed they are one of the principals in the project. Build time on a 130,000+ sq. ft. building could easily be 9-18 months and would put it's opening along the lines of some of the rumored opening dates for out-parcels and sections of Harris Hill.

I would tend to think if that's an official leasing plan found on a corporate website where someone is advertising space, then the footprint is pretty much set. I'd have to agree with Tiger and go with Home Depot or maybe even Lowe's. HD stores tend to be in the 130000 to 140000 for the most part.

Also- I've seen the site plan for Harris Hill (NOT the one that was sent to everybody back in November), and there isn't a JCPenney or Belk or Sears Grand going in there. It's not big enough. SuperTarget and one other store (maybe Kohl's size, but probably something smaller) are the only anchors planned for that development. And I really doubt that Belk or Kohls would build a store in an area before Wal-Mart built one.

But until I get a picture of the site plan, here's the layout of the retail portion as of now: Imagine you're looking out into the development from 72 between Wendy's and Subway. Between 72 and Old Gurley there's about 10 outparcels for restaurants, banks, etc., which will be built first, separated by a 4-lane boulevard. Then beyond Old Gurley, there's going to be two parallel retail strips, one on each side of the boulevard. The left (east) strip is where the Target is planned, and the west strip is almost identical, except that there is a smaller anchor (~60-70,000? sq ft). And the rest is residential, mixed-use (Providence-like), or greenspace.

While it's Wal-Marts strategy to completely encircle Huntsville, kind of like fortress outposts, it's hard to get too excited about

another one. This area of town/county is devoid of retail and for some reason is taking a long time to be served despite the large number

of subdivisons and crowded schools. The sorry road infrastructure is probably the hold up, it is being addressed, but in 2008 we are still driving

on a Federal Highway that basically hasn't changed in 50 years, same is true for North Parkway from Max Luther to the TN state line.

The Harris Hill project will be a nice addition, this Wal Mart..not so much.

Archived