What do you think makes Pittsburgh unique?

TheGerbil

For those of us who live here, it's easy to take for granted what we see every day. So I thought it would be nice to make a thread about features that make the city stand out from others. Not neccesarily things that are one-of-a-kind, but anything that you just don't see in most cities.

I'm going to start off with something obvious and say the inclines. There are other cities that have them, but they're not exactly common. Whenever I have had out-of-town visitors here they have wanted to ride it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a non-native who has fallen in love with Pittsburgh. I've seen a lot of the United States and Pittsburgh is my favorite city.

Pittsburgh may have the most dramatic entry way in the country. I can't think of another city approach that even compares to the vista that explodes into view as you emerge from the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

Something else I'd offer could be seen as a positive or a negative is the unfinished interstate highway system. Pittsburgh is a tough city to navigate for a rookie. As a geographer, I rather like the challenge and the resulting urban landscape is relatively unique. Interstates tend to obliterate the barriers that the physical geography presents, but I rarely feel out of touch with the topography when driving around Pittsburgh.

I personally like our unique neighborhoods. I enjoy areas like the Strip District, Bloomfield, Ellsworth in Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill.... places filled with local stores that let you know you're in Pittsburgh. After living in Ohio and North Carolina for a while, and being completely surrounded by strip malls and chain stores, I came to appreciate this about Pittsburgh.

the topography that shaped our city and the one-of-a-kind neighborhoods

the city exudes a vital authenticity and accessible urban functionality that is depressingly uncommon in today's America... where cities are either dead (Cleveland) or glorified anonymous suburbia (Charlotte)... or just plain out-of-this-world expensive (Boston)

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my family is from Pittsburgh, me being one of the exceptions(born in Buffalo). I spend a lot of time in Pittsburgh and for me I think the hills are what makes Pittsburgh unique. My favorite spot is Mt. Washington. I love going up there and just sitting watching the city across the river. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY but I still consider Pittsburgh to be home.

Archived