Do high rise condos make a difference?

amoyyao

In my previous topic, I directed my attention mainly to those high (at least 8 story). The reason is that I was thoughly frustrated by these 2-3 apartments since I moved to Charlotte--made of wood, they are absolutely not sound-proof. I have constantly bear with my neighbor's late night conversation and often woke up at 2-3am in the morning, even if they are just using their normal voices. Sometimes, I aslo hear their loving making noise. In order to give an impression I don't care, I have to limit my stereo volume to a minimum.

I do Not have to put up with anything like the above when I was living in a 14 story building in Arlington VA. Becuase it has thick walls, it also saves a lot of energy bill in winter--I only need heating in about 1.5 months because the apartment can hold so much heat. (The view is also very good--I could see Pentagon and parts of DC from my bedroom, my kitchen, and my living room.)

But do all high rise have such advantages? Could there be some that also made by some cheap materials and labor so that it will be just as those made of paper or wood?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the title of this thread should read "high rise" not "high risk".

Now that you got me to typing, I would agree that Charlotte has a lot of cheap 3 story vinyl sided apartments. When I first moved to Charlotte, I spent a week apartment hunting, to find an upper corner unit in a 2 story. I would only need to hear one set of people, and face one set of stairs when moving my stuff. One side faced a common landing area, so I only shared one interior wall with another unit.

I think the construction type is what makes a difference for sound transfer. I am no expert, but was told on here that is what makes The Vue superior in quality compared to Avenue (and the price difference). The type of construction and concrete at The Vue will make is much more sound-proof than parts of Avenue.

In my previous topic, I directed my attention mainly to those high (at least 8 story). The reason is that I was thoughly frustrated by these 2-3 apartments since I moved to Charlotte--made of wood, they are absolutely not sound-proof. I have constantly bear with my neighbor's late night conversation and often woke up at 2-3am in the morning, even if they are just using their normal voices. Sometimes, I aslo hear their loving making noise. In order to give an impression I don't care, I have to limit my stereo volume to a minimum.

I do Not have to put up with anything like the above when I was living in a 14 story building in Arlington VA. Becuase it has thick walls, it also saves a lot of energy bill in winter--I only need heating in about 1.5 months because the apartment can hold so much heat. (The view is also very good--I could see Pentagon and parts of DC from my bedroom, my kitchen, and my living room.)

But do all high rise have such advantages? Could there be some that also made by some cheap materials and labor so that it will be just as those made of paper or wood?

If you're living in a condo that you are buying, and you can hear too much from next door, consider installing soundproof wallboard on top of your existing walls. (If it is permitted by the condo association of course)

It costs about double what regular sheetrock costs, and it is heavy as hell. I can attest that it makes things practically soundproof. We installed it between our kitchen and TV room, on top of already existing wallboard, and you can't hear anything between the two rooms.

It might cost a few thousand dollars to have it installed throughout a condo, but for peace and quiet it is totally worth it.

Archived