Is downtown Raleigh really going to be worth the trip?

urby56

Is the city really going to wake up? is it going to be more of a 24/7 town ? so many state capitals and other cities of Raleighs size basically shutdown after 5pm and the only people around are to homeless and criminal element. In fact what is the drug element like in downtown raleigh? I have just moved to an area south of town down 401 in Fuquay, came from the northeast and have seen my share of homeless down by the city market and the green down there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the city really going to wake up? is it going to be more of a 24/7 town ? so many state capitals and other cities of Raleighs size basically shutdown after 5pm and the only people around are to homeless and criminal element. In fact what is the drug element like in downtown raleigh? I have just moved to an area south of town down 401 in Fuquay, came from the northeast and have seen my share of homeless down by the city market and the green down there.

Yes, there are DEFINITELY things to do in downtown, (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Carrboro...they're all good to varying degrees), after 5pm. Mostly of the dining/drinking/dancing variety....or a seeing a show...but what else would you do after 5pm afterall? :D

Are those things going to be going on 24/7? Well, almost. I do know some clubs open to almost 4am, so that's close. And then wait an hour or two, and restaurants that serve breakfast will open (if they're not already) and voila! You've got activity 24/7. ;)

It's worth getting to know...even if you don't live downtown, once you get to know what's available, you'll want to spend more time there and eventually may consider living there (or closer to it) as well. :thumbsup:

www.downtownraleigh.org

www.downtownraleigh.com

www.downtowndurham.com

www.downtownchapelhill.com

www.carrboro.com/downtownmap.html

Homeless people congregate around Moore Square (the green across Martin from City Market) because there is often free food distribution for lunch and dinner on the eastern edge (Person Street). Most do not go to city market proper, but there will always be one or two that wants money for whatever.

If you are looking for a late night, mostly homeless free late night, go over to Glenwood South, the area of Glenwood between roughly Jones and Peace streets. There is a series of bars/restaurants open late every night. The warehouse/depot district has a decent number of bars, but they are spread out so you have to know where you want to go.

I would recommend going to other downtowns to see what they have to offer as well. Durham and Chapel Hill are not that much further away from F-V. Even F-V's smallish downtown by the train tracks has a couple of places to go.

Archived