Paducah, KY attracts the artists

seicer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Paducah being featured on ABC Nightly News Saturday night. Anybody catch it? I was in a busy restaurant so I couldn't hear it, but it looked like they would be talking about what this article mentions.

This article is based on the news report on ABC Nightly News. I was quite surprised it had advanced this far - indications a few years ago mentioned it was only beginning and much work needed to be done. My friend lives down in the city and mentioned how it was thriving, and after seeing this report and other similar web-sites, I'm inclined to drive down there and write a travel guide about it.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in Kentucky Monthly, although it would make a wonderful article.

I suppose it would have helped if I had actually clicked the link instead of just reading what was given...

Anyways, it is very interesting and if you've read "Rise of the Creative Class" by Richard Florida, you'd wonder why more cities aren't doing such programs. I guess in most cities it would be viewed negatively to bring in 'artists.' Kudos to Paducah for having the foresight to do it. I might have to go to a look at it myself, this is right up my alley.

Paducah has had great success with its artist relocation program and downtown revitalization projects. It is amazing how each time I go downtown there seems to a new business that has sprung up or new rehab underway. Downtown is drastically different than it was even 5 years ago, and shows no signs of slowing down.

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the city, the artist district included, take at look at this photo thread I took a year or two ago:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17973

There are several other Paducah related threads in this forum you can use the search function to find if anyone is interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Paducah, KY, is DEAD.

The only active places are at the edge of town, where Kentucky Oaks Mall is.

Lowertown and/or downtown is a ghost town.

As a local...I strongly disagree with this assessment. Been around downtown lately on a regular basis, esp. in the spring, summer, and fall? I mean its no bustling city like Louisville or Nashville would be, but its plenty active...or I mean it would not be gaining shops, galleries, and high end restaurants constantly. Folks don't invest in dead areas like they are in downtown Paducah if things arent going well. Also comparing the mall area and downtown is like comparing apples and oranges.

Would you happen to have any more info on the homes you took photos of? I was actaully born in Paducah...lived there until I was about 10. Isn't it stange how all of the homes happen to look the same? They all look just like my Grandmohters house!

Paducah has had great success with its artist relocation program and downtown revitalization projects. It is amazing how each time I go downtown there seems to a new business that has sprung up or new rehab underway. Downtown is drastically different than it was even 5 years ago, and shows no signs of slowing down.

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the city, the artist district included, take at look at this photo thread I took a year or two ago:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17973

There are several other Paducah related threads in this forum you can use the search function to find if anyone is interested.

Would you happen to have any more info on the homes you took photos of? I was actaully born in Paducah...lived there until I was about 10. Isn't it stange how all of the homes happen to look the same? They all look just like my Grandmohters house!

Sadly I do not have any extra info to share on the homes in that area of town. Someone from the Jackson Purchase Historical Society might be able to refer you to person who might able to provide more information on that part of the city's past.

Here is a link:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~kymarsha/jphs/jphs.html

As for them all looking similar, that sort of varies from block to block. I assume the similarities have to do with trends of the times when each street saw its housing built. Sort of like now, how new subdivisions usually have housing with very similar designs quite often.

The housing stock in downtown is quite impressive and often overlooked. If I was to move to Western KY it would be to Paducah, and I would definately be living in the downtown part of the city; as its there where the heart and soul of the citys character remains.

Have you been back to Paducah since you left? Where part of the country to you reside in now? Definitley glad you found interest in our boards and hope you continue to participate! :)

• 7 years later...