Burj Dubai

tamias6

Burj Dubai will be the world tallest building when completed. Not only that, at a projected height of over 2600 ft, it will attain that status by a huge margin as can be seen by the diagram below.

40666936tallestbuildingpw9.gif

As one can see, Burj is to completly dwarf Taipei 101, the current title holder. This is a stunning break in a long trend of skyscrapers becoming the world's tallest building by slim margins. This in mind, will Burj become the end all beat all skyscraper that shall remain the world's tallest building for the forseeable future like the 40 year reign of the Empire State Building or will this Middle Eastern skyscrapper spur on competition to snatch the title from Dubaian hands?

Wikipedia article about Burj Dubai

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be the Chicago Spire (formerly the Fordham Spire) which has a planned height of 2000 feet including the antenna.

Wikipedia Article

Here's a 3-D rendering of the proposed Chicago Spire.

Ib5.jpg

I don't think US skyscappers will get any higher than this building as space above 2000 ft is deemed federal air space which would require developers to cut through a load of red tape by going before the FAA to get there approval to build any higher.

^chicago is building a new building somewhere over 2,000 too.

The building looks alot thicker and the antenna has been removed. Does this mean the building will no longer be 2000' high or has the roof top been rised to the 2000' mark by adding more floors?

Actually the Chicago Spire will look like this now. From what I remember reading,they rotate each room's floor plan just a few degrees so that it comes out as a spiral.

newspire.gif

The original vision of this building looked really cool. But from a practical standpoint it left me wondering how the developers where going to squeeze the condo units, elevator shafts, and everything to make this place habitable into such a skinny tower esp. on the upper floors since the tower tapers. This new version is an indicator that practicality won some ground as this new rendering seems thicker in diameter, has a less pronounced taper, and a flat roof top instead of topping out in a spire. Eitherway, despite the give and take between flamboyance and practicallity, the Chicago Spire will definately be unlike any other building in the Windy City.

To be honest, I loved the original rendering, but this new rendering just doesn't quite seem all that appealing.

Pictures will never do that building justice. I can just imagine it towering above you when you stand next to it.

Just think of having a condo on the top floor, 2500 feet above it all... that would mean it would be about 8-10*F colder than at the bottom of the building... I bet it gets mighty windy up there in the summer when all that 110*F air is rising off the desert floor.

Pictures will never do that building justice. I can just imagine it towering above you when you stand next to it.

Just think of having a condo on the top floor, 2500 feet above it all... that would mean it would be about 8-10*F colder than at the bottom of the building... I bet it gets mighty windy up there in the summer when all that 110*F air is rising off the desert floor.

Archived