Burj Dubai

tamias6

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A building as tall as Burj Dubal would be subjected to some serious wind loads and make for a building that would sway like a blade of grass in the wind. Will Burj Dubai be equiped with things like Mass Dampers to counter the wind loads to reduce swaying?

Oh I don't think anybody will be working at that height. At that height, people will have so much money that they'll never have to work a day in their lives if they don't want to.

Seriously, what's the going rate on condos with a view from 2000+ feet in the air? God I can't even begin to imagine ...

Oh I don't think anybody will be working at that height. At that height, people will have so much money that they'll never have to work a day in their lives if they don't want to.

Seriously, what's the going rate on condos with a view from 2000+ feet in the air? God I can't even begin to imagine ...

^^^ Great Point! Don't know about building codes in Dubai. But in the US safety codes for hi-rises got allot more strict since 9/11, i.e. calling for wider stairwells, stronger cores, and better fire supression mechinisms and other safety measures. I hope similar precautions are being taken in the construction of Burj Dubai.

^^^ Great Point! Don't know about building codes in Dubai. But in the US safety codes for hi-rises got allot more strict since 9/11, i.e. calling for wider stairwells, stronger cores, and better fire supression mechinisms and other safety measures. I hope similar precautions are being taken in the construction of Burj Dubai.

IMO, Dubais skyline is crap. Its not real, all the buildings are new, only there because the prince wants to make it a vacation capital before all his oil runs out. IMO, it doesnt have a real downtown, its just a freeway surrounded by skyscrapers and plazas. The skyline is fake, not that dense, and has little character.

And, i agree, in most cases anything over 100 stories is unnessesary.

IMO, Dubais skyline is crap. Its not real, all the buildings are new, only there because the prince wants to make it a vacation capital before all his oil runs out. IMO, it doesnt have a real downtown, its just a freeway surrounded by skyscrapers and plazas. The skyline is fake, not that dense, and has little character.

I know, you cant just build Chicago out of the desert in 10 years, its not the same.

Tall buildings are cool,but just because a city has tall buildings doesnt mean its a good urban environment.

Look at London, few tall buildings, but one of the most active, popular cities in the world. NYC has tall buildings, but is still a good urban environment, because it was well planned, built over time, and built with density.

As the old sayting goes: "All good things come in due time." NYC and Chicago are cases in point. The same applies with London.

As for Dubai, the individual buildings and the shear amout of construction going on all at once is mind blowing. But in the long run Dubai, the city of, will be reguarded in the same light as Brazillia, a planned city that has failed.

I know, you cant just build Chicago out of the desert in 10 years, its not the same.

Tall buildings are cool,but just because a city has tall buildings doesnt mean its a good urban environment.

Look at London, few tall buildings, but one of the most active, popular cities in the world. NYC has tall buildings, but is still a good urban environment, because it was well planned, built over time, and built with density.

I agree with many of the statements made about Dubai's skyline. But I think in time, a lot of it will fill in with some buildings that are hopefully not supertalls. The problem though has to do with their infrastructure which caters toward high speed travel which produces immense superblocks and large scale structures. But everybody has their preference, so if Dubai wants to run with that, go.

I find the architecture fascinating though. The city has been an excellent proving ground for leading edge design. That doesn't mean its right for the rest of the world A lot of these buildings would not work well in the U.S.

But I really can't say anything bad about Dubai. Just think about all the architects and engineers that worked on the Burj Dubai from Chicago. These towers are creating American jobs! Keep the proposals coming Dubai, I have an internship in Chicago this spring!

Archived