Burj Dubai

tamias6

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance(and this is one of my first posts), but what is the tourist attraction to this region of the world? I don't see how they can fill thousands of hotel rooms. It seems like they just take good stuff about other places and try to make their own version of it. I was looking at tourist attractions on one page and it listed a mall. Granted the mall had its own indoor ski-slope, but I just don't get it. Yes, they have a new Formula 1 race every year which I am interested in, maybe the world's richest horse race and some beaches but I don't see myself ever going that far. I live in Atlanta. Within a four hour flight I can go to all the beaches in the Caribbean, I can go skiing in the "real" Rockies, I can go to an F1 race, (Bahrain would be one of my last choices b/c it's a boring Tilke track with no tradition), the Kentucky Derby, Vegas for gambling, real cities with culture and history like New York and Chicago....the list goes on and on.

Someone convince me why I, from the U.S, should go to the other side of the world for this? The only reason I would travel that far is to see Europe or the far east. Or are they targeting mostly Europeans and Asians?

Why are people willing to juorney through several states to visit , say, Mall of America when a vast majority of them could find just as much shopping and entertainment options within much closer distances to their homes? Its simple. Its there.

Forgive my ignorance(and this is one of my first posts), but what is the tourist attraction to this region of the world? I don't see how they can fill thousands of hotel rooms. It seems like they just take good stuff about other places and try to make their own version of it. I was looking at tourist attractions on one page and it listed a mall. Granted the mall had its own indoor ski-slope, but I just don't get it. Yes, they have a new Formula 1 race every year which I am interested in, maybe the world's richest horse race and some beaches but I don't see myself ever going that far. I live in Atlanta. Within a four hour flight I can go to all the beaches in the Caribbean, I can go skiing in the "real" Rockies, I can go to an F1 race, (Bahrain would be one of my last choices b/c it's a boring Tilke track with no tradition), the Kentucky Derby, Vegas for gambling, real cities with culture and history like New York and Chicago....the list goes on and on.

Someone convince me why I, from the U.S, should go to the other side of the world for this? The only reason I would travel that far is to see Europe or the far east. Or are they targeting mostly Europeans and Asians?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived