Burj Dubai

tamias6

^^^Let me clarify. Brazillia functions very well as its design perpose of being the capital of Brazil. But the city fails from a people stand point. All of the immence plazas, very wide high speed streets a.k.a car sewers, and lack of ped friendly features makes Brazillia down right scary to walk. Dubai wil do very well at its intended purpose of being the UAE's future economic engine, but Dubai has the same vast plaza's, the same high speed car sewers, and the same lack of ped friendly features. Therefore that only leads to one conclusion, Dubai will be a very big chore to navigate by foot and thus from a people's standpoint this desert city will fail.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, Dubais skyline is crap. Its not real, all the buildings are new, only there because the prince wants to make it a vacation capital before all his oil runs out. IMO, it doesnt have a real downtown, its just a freeway surrounded by skyscrapers and plazas. The skyline is fake, not that dense, and has little character.

And, i agree, in most cases anything over 100 stories is unnessesary.

I guess i shouldnt say skyline, but more that the city isnt a pedestrian friendly city. I bet that city would be hell to walk.

Just look at the area around the burj dubai. Gee, it looks like a great place to walk.

Burj-Dubai-Skyscraper-0401.jpg

Even when its done its going to have a huge plaza and a lake surrounding it.

Burj_Dubai_Downtown_hoechstes_Gebaeude_Vereinigte_Arabische_Emirate.jpg

Heres one of "Downtown" Dubai

dubai_2005.jpg

It is hard to walk in certain areas of Dubai, especially in the new parts. The oldtown part is very pedestrian friendly but is extremly small compared to the rest of the city. On a side note, Dubai is building a rather extensive monorail system that will cover all developments: Business Bay, Palm Jebel Ali, Palm Deira, Jebel Ali Free Trade Zone, Jebel Ali Airport, SZR Road, etc.

Well, im glad to hear that they are putting in a monorail, goes with the futuristic theme. Honestly, i dont hate Dubai, i just think that its kind of over-hyped, because they are building the Burj. mcheiss, i assume since you lived in Qatar youve been to Dubai?

BTW, here is that same picture in 1991.(Thats a lot of construction.)

dubai_1991.jpg

Uh oh, look what I found. Hope it's nothing serious becuase it really is an amazing and expen$ive building to end up like another Ryugyong Hotel.

Couple of problems arise, while Burj Dubai is slowly joining into the world's tallest Top 10 chart. According to one of the engineers, they have found thin cracks on the foundation of Burj Dubai. They are still examining the problem and the cause, but it has already slowed down the construction of the wings. They have coloured white the walls around lvl. 17 to be able to examine the cracks in depth. Sadly, that's not all, it seems that the last test of the facades failed as well, but they say it won't slow down the construction.

Actually this isn't the downtown (at least not yet). The real downtown is very different and looks more like this:

72582894.z4UWfJjY.DubaiAerialsJan07029.jpg

Apparantly what happened was this:

Originally when the sheikh zayed road (the massive highway) was built it was well outside the city. For some reason land prices around the new road shot up and towers started to be built (only small ones at first). The whole thing probably started with the emirates towers and it's now turning into a new downtown. The traffic is already insane and as more towers get built will become even worse. This portion of the SZR won't be able to function like it used to because of a completely different environment so most of the traffic will have to be diverted to other roads. What I'd love to see is it becoming a massive boulevard. That'd seriously be the coolest thing ever :)

While it is not a pedestrian friendly lay-out, you have to keep in mind that these towers are massive, and there will be a lot of walking going on inside the towers.

Dubai still reminds of middle eastern version of Las Vegas... the "strip", the less known downtown, the massive uncontrolled growth.. the desert.. it's like Las Vegas on a world scale.

Archived