Flying Anvil

d_Random

I read recently that the Flying Anvil will be closing after only 7 months.

I always thought it was in a terrible location (parking, duh!), but thought

it would somehow manage like Cat's Cradle (equally crappy parking).

Opinions why music venues can't seem to stay open in Greensboro with

so many colleges around?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so many colleges around?

I don't think it's just Greensboro. It seems like small music venues are struggling in a number of cities, and I imagine it's even harder when you're just starting a new place from scratch. On top of that, I don't think GSO really has a sizable enough indie crowd to support a lot of the bands the Anvil was bringing in. While Greensboro does have several colleges, it's not a college town. Not many of the Anvil's artists were gonna be finding their way onto A&T's radio station, and while UNCG did just build a bunch of dorms, it still seems to have a pretty high commuter population. This is a town that likes Wal-Marts way more than indie music, and I think the Anvil's owners may have been hoping to attract more people from Chapel Hill & other surrounding areas.

I don't think it's just Greensboro. It seems like small music venues are struggling in a number of cities, and I imagine it's even harder when you're just starting a new place from scratch. On top of that, I don't think GSO really has a sizable enough indie crowd to support a lot of the bands the Anvil was bringing in. While Greensboro does have several colleges, it's not a college town. Not many of the Anvil's artists were gonna be finding their way onto A&T's radio station, and while UNCG did just build a bunch of dorms, it still seems to have a pretty high commuter population. This is a town that likes Wal-Marts way more than indie music, and I think the Anvil's owners may have been hoping to attract more people from Chapel Hill & other surrounding areas.

the anvil wasn't ambitious enough actually. they still were going with a lot of indie groups, but they should have been going for the same bands that play in chapel hill at the cradle. the current owners have been talking to some people who might take it over, but i heard that the buyout is $150,000 per person.

pete still has the green bean and that seems to be doing ok. i think they were just frustrated that they couldn't get more people to come out on a regular basis. plus, the sound still needed a lot of work.

i played in one of the cover shows when the place opened and it was awful. i had heard that they had done a few things to make it sound a little better in there but that they still had a long way to go.

playing at green street, on the other hand, is nice because they have a good sound system (but the guys who work there are jerks).

$150K person person, eh? How many people? I also heard that rent is 6K per month, but that could be BS, damn that seems too high for that space.

the anvil wasn't ambitious enough actually. they still were going with a lot of indie groups, but they should have been going for the same bands that play in chapel hill at the cradle. the current owners have been talking to some people who might take it over, but i heard that the buyout is $150,000 per person.

pete still has the green bean and that seems to be doing ok. i think they were just frustrated that they couldn't get more people to come out on a regular basis. plus, the sound still needed a lot of work.

i played in one of the cover shows when the place opened and it was awful. i had heard that they had done a few things to make it sound a little better in there but that they still had a long way to go.

playing at green street, on the other hand, is nice because they have a good sound system (but the guys who work there are jerks).

• 3 months later...

The Flying Anvil is Dead but new owners from Burlington will be coming in and converting it to a Blues, R&B, Soul and Hip Hop night club called "Remix VIP". Some neighbors are concerned what kind of elements hip hop will bring to the neighborhood. Im not so sure they should just pick on the Hip Hop genre because there are nightclub downtown that perform hard rock which can also have its elements. The Sky Bar got shut down because people were selling drugs in there and it wasnt the hip hop crowd. I think this will be a great addition for downtown because there needs to be different kinds of nightclubs. downtown already has one jazz club. Jazz and R&B kinda adds an urban vibe to the center-city and we need more of that as well.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/704060306

so many colleges around?

the sound at the anvil was definitely an issue from the very beginning. the cradle and ziggy's both have good sound, not only for the house but up on stage too. the anvil hadn't even worked out its kinks with the sound on stage, which can really hamper a performance. it's not fun to play when you can't hear what's going on.

there were several people who were riding their bikes to shows at the anvil, and i think the anvil even provided a slight discount if you rode your bike there (that may have only been one or two specific events though).

Archived