Upstate Corporate Industrial Park

Spartan

This is an excellent example of cooperation between Upstate counties. This new industrial park is on the Cherokee/Spartanburg county line. I can't get a feel for how large this park is, and the article doesn't say what the potential employment numbers are. This is an important move for Spartanburg as we have lost companies to other places because of our lack of these "corporate campus" style developments that are becomeing more and more popular.

I will add that I don't care for them because they tend to further exacerbate suburban/auto-oriented problems. The plus side is that perhaps they can become stops on some future mass transit system. Anway, thats rambling on my part.

This article is from the GSA Business Journal. It is currently available online, but it will be gone in a few weeks, which is why I posted it here.

Preparations continue for Cherokee-Spartanburg park

Monday, December 25, 2006

Tony Taylor, Staff Writer

During the heyday of the textile mill, Upstate counties needed little to market themselves. Large and small firms drew from the ample local labor force and resources.

But as the mills moved overseas, county leaders now find themselves in the position of developing infrastructure to attract new companies. Some are taking the concept of regionalism beyond marketing and pooling their resources together to develop new products.

Spartanburg County and Cherokee County officials, for example, have been in the process of developing a jointly owned industrial park for nearly a decade.

After years of planning, Upstate Corporate Park is almost shovel-ready and economic development officials from both counties are optimistic they will be announcing the arrival of new industry in the near future.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great! This is the second example of cooperation I'm aware of between Spartanburg and Cherokee counties, the first being Spartanburg Tech (now Spartanburg Community College) expanding into Cherokee County (which I think should be renamed Spartanburg-Cherokee Community College). I think Cherokee County has a few advantages given its small size, and combining resources with Spartanburg County only makes sense.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The second company to open up at this site is DSE Systems, LLC: "a privately owned supplier of ammunition and vehicle parts for the U.S. military, plans to renovate the vacant 320,000-square-foot National Textiles plant..." They plan to start operations in 2008, and will employ 215 people over the next 5 years.

Both companies are on the Cherokee County side of the line. Combined, they are going to have a larger contribution to the Cherokee economy (in relative terms) than the EchoStar facility (1,500 employees) will have on Spartanburg.

Herald-Journal

The ammunition plant is on the Charlotte side of Gaffney on Victory Trail Road. It is not part of the Upstate Corporate Park. The paper only mentioned the park because a company announced plans to build a 20 million dollar plant in the park.

The two combined are a huge boost to Cherokee County.

Archived