New Courthouse

richyb83

So there was no tax to pay for this courthouse?

So those increased court fees paid for this....cause' that's borderline.

It's a tax that doesn't have to be voted for. I am not sure if I agree with this courthouse being built.

It's cool for downtown, but I don't agree with how it's being funded. I need to do more research on this thing.

At least it looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there was no tax to pay for this courthouse?

So those increased court fees paid for this....cause' that's borderline.

It's a tax that doesn't have to be voted for. I am not sure if I agree with this courthouse being built.

It's cool for downtown, but I don't agree with how it's being funded. I need to do more research on this thing.

At least it looks cool.

I heard nothing of funding for this either, but it's up and coming, let us know what you find out.

• 2 months later...

Taken last week(Oct.9th) My bad I did not post yet.

The new Courthouse should help the surrounding old EBRATS bldg.(left) put back into use w/ some renovations; and Municipal Bldg.(right), where adding a couple of floors was previously been mentioned bec. of the Courthouse; IMO the EBRATS design would be better served to add a couple of floors, along with the renovation.

oct07023kb1.jpg

Is that the one on Florida Street near I-110?? If so, then no, that's a Federal Courthouse. This is a new state of the art courthouse. It was said to be the envy of the South. The old Courthouse is outdated. I'll post a pic of it soon.

What would like to see on the grounds??

• 3 months later...

The basement has been dug-out at the new Courthouse site; this project had been delayed when they unexpectedly found some important wires/cable underground that had to be removed. Glad things are picking up now! :shades:

The 12-story new Courthouse will top-out at 201' feet. 16 feet per floor! Don't know if II City Plaza will be able to top that??

feb08021lr1.jpg

The basement has been dug-out at the new Courthouse site; this project had been delayed when they unexpectedly found some important wires/cable underground that had to be removed. Glad things are picking up now! :shades:

The 12-story new Courthouse will top-out at 201' feet. 16 feet per floor! Don't know if II City Plaza will be able to top that??

feb08021lr1.jpg

Great pictures today Richy. An added advantage of the new courthouse is it will block the old municipal building from the view from North Blvd. Speaking of which, didn't they say that floors would be added to the old municipal bldg?

Hopefully the old ebrats? bldg. will be torn down and a new office bldg. put there too.

Were did you figure that out from? This is so exciting! :w00t:

Thanks Drew :thumbsup: Yeah that old Municipal bldg. is some kind of ugly. I had heard they would add a few extra floors(not sure how that would work?); but nothing recent. The old EBRATS bldg. has so much potential! They should probablydemolish it.

Yeah Dan, I'm not sure of the dude's "exact" job title...Project Supervisor? Site Coordinator?? But he was from Tampa FL. He said downtown BR did have some depressing looking buildings.

Somewhere I also heard it said the new state-of-the-art Courthouse will be talk of the Gulf South! At 201' feet it will be only 28' feet shorter than the Riverside North (north Chase Tower) that's 229'feet.

He said the Governmental Bldg. was about 185' feet tall; that's very tall for a 10-story building. I just wonder how tall the new 13-story Galvez state bldg. is in comparison??

• 1 month later...

Today for the first time, I saw steel columns coming out of the foundation for the new courthouse building. We've finally got something to look at other than a hole in the ground. It's going to be great watching this building going up so close to the CityPlaza II building. These two buildings are going to completely change the look of North Blvd and the southern CBD.

Yep Drew! Very true! The streetscape on that end of the CBD is in for some nice urban change :thumbsup:

I managed to get a couple of shots from the Shaw Arts Center roof-top. The basement work looks like it's nearing completion; can't wait to see this finally go vertical.

32608020lm3.jpg

How close the new Courthouse(right) and II City Plaza(left) will be.

32608021wl6.jpg

I'm impressed at just how far you can see those high-rise cranes around certain parts of Baton Rouge; I noticed them when driving over the I-12/10 Flyover-loop :shades:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good! Finally no more delays with the massive new Courthouse! Waiting to hear something on the old EBRATS Bldg.(right) renovate? demolish and start over??

Construction crews work on the first floor of the new 19th Judicial District Courthouse on North Boulevard in downtown Baton Rouge. The building will be 360,000 square feet, 12 stories tall and feature 26 courtrooms.

courthouse060208mf9.jpg

Court building within budget

Ten months after breaking ground, construction on the new 19th Judicial Court building is moving forward and within budget, Judicial Administrator Jo Bruce said. The next major building stage of the project is pouring concrete for half of the first floor. That is scheduled to take place June 8, Walton Construction Co. Project Manager Matt Tanory said recently.

The $106.9 million building, which is being erected on North Boulevard between St. Louis and St. Ferdinand streets, is slated for occupancy sometime in the early to middle part of 2010.

Walton Construction Co. of Harahan is trying to finish early

• 1 month later...

EBRATS location is screaming for a nice, gleaming office mid-rise with significant retail/dining space on the lower floors.

It's worth too much now to only have 3 stories worth of rentable space..

It might have survived closer to I-110, but not on the hottest block downotown right now. You are looking at an additional 1,000 people on that block every day with the new buildings.

-another parking deck will be needed somewhere near here...courthouse and CPII have their own, but all street parking will be absorbed all the time.

-some retail services will be needed to service the population there.

I predict something like CPII...office or mixed use, depending on the market, with it's own parking deck.

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed, it will be massive! There will be a flip-flop in size; originally II City Plaza was going to be 14, then up to 16-17 floors compared to new Courthouse's only 9....but things changed and now BOTH will be 12-stories. And being a "civic" building the new Courthouse will be 16 feet per floor (roughly 201'ft tall including roof-top) will make it larger(360,000sq.ft) and taller than II City Plaza(256,000sq.ft).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update SEBR. :shades: Why do they build the elevator shafts first??

I was told that the new Courthouse will be 16' feet per floor; does that look 16' feet?? Hard for me to tell. Like Dan, I can't wait to see it top-out! This state-of-the-art architecture is destined to be the talk of the Gulf South. It's gonna be plenty lit-up on that end of Fourth Street too and illuminate the southern-end of the CBD.

The new Courthouse along with the new II City Plaza,; will look fantastic at night with the nearby Shaw Center for the Arts.

Archived