New Courthouse

richyb83

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really say Richy. I've viewed it from many different angles, its 9th floor is taller than the 9th floor on the Governmental Building.My best guess is it will top off about 220 feet when all is said and done,but that's my best guess.But it will be truly a huge building!

Yeah you right yis, the construction project manager was from Tampa and he said the new Courthouse would be 201' feet tall/ 16 feet per floor. This will make it easily taller than the new II City Plaza eventhough they are BOTH 12-stories. Wonder how many feet tall II City Plaza will be??

Thanks again SEBR :thumbsup: Your right, the new Courthouse is going to be a massive building! It's going to suprise a few people!

I hope they decide something soon for the old EBRATS next door. Hopeffully Bob Dean is not asking too much $$ for the site. They would probably demolish it instead of renovate.

• 1 month later...

Not to worry Dan, those 90mph wind gust couldn't faze it! :thumbsup:

Just happened to take this pic yesterday; and now the new Courthouse is in the newspaper this morning....wanted to take pic from Shaw roof-top terrace but did not know they closed at 5:00 on Sunday's. But was 10 minutes late :dontknow: This is going really change the street-scape on North Blvd!

102008017up8.jpg

Panel sues over building delays

The new 19th Judicial District courthouse in downtown Baton Rouge will have 360,000 square feet of space for courtrooms, offices and other uses. Problems with a fiber-optic cable stalled work last year, but officials said the project is back on schedule, and court officials expect to move into the new courthouse in early to mid-2010.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/31264439.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice shot Dan! I like the grainy pic! ;) Downtown BR showing off a little density! You will barely be able to see the new II City Plaza from this angle once the Courthouse is complete. Eventhough they are both 12-stories; the Courthouse will be taller!!

Here's a grainy pic of the Courthouse from I-10.

copyofcourtzs1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From historic Beauregard Town; the unique "diagonal angle" Somerulus Street

102008014ol3.jpg

You know, in seeing these photos from October, I notice the elevator shafts were erected first and then the steel frame. I've never seen a building of that height built using that method. Shorter buildings in the 1-4 story range, yes, but never one that tall. Looks funny with those tall, hollow concrete columns floating out there in space. lol But at least it's a sign of progress.

From the Shaw roof-top terrace; new Courthouse(right) and nearby II City Plaza(left)

110608057wc9.jpg

Looks good now that they have more of the steel members in place. Looks like a more rigid structure! The elevator shafts I mentioned in my last post, standing by themselves, were like a spinal cord with nothing else yet connected to it. Now that the steel members are there, the skeleton is becoming more complete.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Dan. I'm with yall; never seen that building method done before.

Also interested in seeing final design with the additional floors; since the orginal rendering shows only 9-stories; I think the top two floors will look a little different

*taken yesterday

dec08011iu3.jpg

dec08015jm9.jpg

One of my favorite angles down Fourth Street on direct axis with State Capitol

dec08020xp5.jpg

From the North Blvd RR Overpass

dec08036bn7.jpg

Great pics richy! I sure do wish the new courthouse would have been a little taller, but it will do a great job of adding some density to downtown. I am really interested in knowing what the southern elevation is going to look like, since that side hasn't been rendered for the public. I think i have an idea, and if I'm right, it should be a really handsome building all the way around. If i get bored tonight, ill draw it on sketch up.

Thanks buckett5425! :thumbsup: The new courthouse will add some density on that end of the CBD for sure! Especially from certain angles!! Look forward to seeing the sketch-up's if you ever get the time! :shades:

Actually I was more disapointed II City Plaza was not taller; since it originally was supposed to be. The new Courthouse being a "civic" building I figured they streched the limit; esp. compared to some other good/mid-sized cities. Eventhough BOTH are 12-stories; the new courthouse will be(already is) taller.

Check out the "VIRTUAL TOUR" on the right; it shows a 16-story II City Plaza(with cool vaulted penthouse) towering over the 9-story courthouse(at the end 1:56). My how things have CHANGED since the original plans. The taller one got shorter; and the shorter one got taller. So it all evens out I guess. II City Plaza would/could/should have been roughly the same size as the north (shorter) Chase Tower before the reduction.

http://www.iicityplazabr.com/

This was posted on UP a while back; just a memory refresher...looking forward to seeing BOTH at night when they are completed!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice shot southeastBR! You sure are right; the new courthouse and II City Plaza really compliment each other!! Suprised to see how much larger the new Courthouse is than the Governmental bldg. I too have been saying the new convention center proposed hotel in Mayor Holden's plan needs to be BR's New Tallest ahead of the Marriott off I-10/College Dr 4 miles away!!

Looks like the new Courthouse is close to topping out?? Is this building going to be 11 stories or 12??

12709015xg2.jpg

It's going up fast! I seems like it just started yesterday.

Yeah I said the same thing Wednesday night when I turned down Fourth Street. The lights in the top of II City Plaza and some of the courthouse lights, or the lights they have put in for work purposes were on and just the size of these buildings makes you think you almost turned down a street in another city. . . so didnt feel like Baton Rouge for a moment !!! lol

• 4 weeks later...

Archived