Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotteman

R&B Legend James Brown is dead

24 posts in this topic

What a sad headline to read on Christmas Day. James brown died this morning (Dec. 25, 2006) around 1:00 AM. He was 72.

He was an innovator in every sense of the word. He will be missed.

There will never be another. :cry:

thats sad, 72 is still fairly young, especially for someone as active as him

I'm going to miss one of SC's most prominent native sons. RIP, Godfather of Soul.

Truly one of South Carolina's most famous and loved sons. He will be missed. He was as unique and groundbreaking as a person could be.

I was so delighted today when I passed newspaper boxes at the grocery store. On the front page of USA Today was a huge picture of James Brown from recent times.

It warmed my heart. I hope the world never forgets him. Rest in peace dear brother.

James Brown did more for my city than just about any other person. Whether it was passing out turkeys to poor families on Christmas, toys to kids on Christmas, or just making appearances around town to support projects he believed in, he was a visible and loved member of this city. He is missed.

Let me also say that the Augusta Chronicle and AJC have very good online resources if you want to know more about the life of James Brown.

I never understood the hype around James Brown while growing up. I liked his songs, but I like a lot of songs. I went to the Atlanta Olympics and ended up buying tickets for one of his shows at the House of Blues while there. GOOD GOD. There won't be anyone like him again and the credit he gets for the music that stemmed from his style in all ways is not enough. I still remember almost every part of that show. What an amazing man. RIP.

An amusing aside about James Brown: he was the epitome of a musical perfectionist. If during a concert a band member hit a slightly incorrect note, or lingered too long on one, he immediately noticed it and would mutter under his breath (into the microphone) "gotcha on that!" Not one mistake got by him--that's how seriously he took his music.

He was also a stickler on convention and respect. He was called Mr. Brown. The band members were called Mr. Mrs. Miss etc. He would have it no other way.

In my mind's eye, I can still see him onstage rocking and rolling his heart out:)

I never got the opportunity to see him perform live, but I was impressed with what I saw at the BET Awards the year he received the lifetime achievement award. He was moving like he was in his 20's when he was in his 60's and 70's.

^ Krazee, I would suggest you come down to Augusta this weekend. It is unbelievable the amount of people that James Brown so profoundly impacted that they are in town right now placing flowers at his statue downtown. I saw it today at lunch and it is moving to say the least. I myself am just in shock that he has passed away. He really did a lot for this city and it was always a pleasure telling people that he lived here.

I highly suggest you stop by the Soul Bar on Broad Street. It's a little place totally decked out in James Brown posters, albums, etc (also the coolest bar in Augusta). I am sure that place has been playing his music non-stop.

^I was actually thinking about doing that, especially since I plan to go to Atlanta for New Year's and I haven't taken I-20 to get there in a long time. I will seriously consider that.

Today on CNN a heartfelt outpouring of love for James Brown was shown from Augusta, Georgia. Many famous people were there, including Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton and (gasp) Michael Jackson.

I wish I could be there to lay a flower, and to pay my respects to James Brown. Augusta is pouring it's love, and I wish I could be there.

James Brown was in one of BMW's short films with Clive Owen. I believe it was called 'Beat the Devil' or 'Race the Devil.' It's on Youtube. Just search for BMWfilms.

There's a GREAT BMWfilm with Madonna....

It was funny to see the guy drape the cape over him one last time.

The public funeral was truly a celebration of his life, and more than likely he would have wanted it that way.

It was funny to see the guy drape the cape over him one last time.

The public funeral was truly a celebration of his life, and more than likely he would have wanted it that way.

Yes, James Brown and his wife had a sordid history together.....I can't believe they let her sing.

Yes, James Brown and his wife had a sordid history together.....I can't believe they let her sing.

^ Indeed. I've met her a few times and she's a bit.....off. And of course, there is the fact that she married him while already being married to another man---a little tidbit of information that she failed to ever tell him and now she goes on CNN crying about his evil lawyers kept her away. I can't believe CNN even showed that. They should have sent someone down this way and interviewed anyone on the street and they'll all say same thing: Tommy Rae was a bad influence on him and didn't deserve to be his wife.

^ Indeed. I've met her a few times and she's a bit.....off. And of course, there is the fact that she married him while already being married to another man---a little tidbit of information that she failed to ever tell him and now she goes on CNN crying about his evil lawyers kept her away. I can't believe CNN even showed that. They should have sent someone down this way and interviewed anyone on the street and they'll all say same thing: Tommy Rae was a bad influence on him and didn't deserve to be his wife.