Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

queensguy06

Where Should the Shopping Go?

8 posts in this topic

I was thinking, most cities have a street or district that has all the higher end stores, such as 5th Ave. in NY, Michigan Ave. in Chicago, Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, etc. What street/area would you like to see a shopping district in or around uptown?

I don't think there is any room in Uptown for a "Magnificent Mile" or Rodeo Dr area. Office space dominates all. Large scale luxury retailers are going to stick with SouthPark and new mixed used developments like Metropolitan.

That's what I mean...Uptown area. I could see them doing a magnificent mile if they were to build that large urban park where the train tracks are now.

I personally would like to see the new Brevard Street plan to be successful at pulling in retail. They are proposing making zoning rules to almost force any development on the street to be forward thinking for retail.

I'd say an Atlantic Station-type development (with housing, office space and retail, including a department store) in some of the vacant parking lots uptown would be a prime spot for good retail, if anywhere is.

Whatever comes should be linked to a destination retailer or two. It's the only way to go for long-term success.

1st Ward offers the greatest possibility of a large-scale development, Midtown of organic small growth that gathers momentum.

I think Uptown will come to see pockets of retail instead of something like a King Street in Charleston.