Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

socaguy

James Brown

11 posts in this topic

It was a huge suprise this morning when I heard on the radio on my way to Augusta that James Brown had died at an an Atlanta hospital. I didnt even know he was sick. He had just passed out Christmas presents to sick children at MCG the other day, from my understanding. Although the hardest working man in show business had problems throughout his life, he was definately a caring and giving individual, and will be missed by many fellow Augustans.

Definately very sad... If you get a chance to stop by the statue, there's been a steady crowd of people paying their respects there since yesterday morning. I would have loved to see him in concert before he passed away..

What a rags to riches story James Brown was. He grew up in the poorest of places in Augusta and became the godfather of soul. I felt like Augusta never embraced Mr. Brown like one its own for some reason. Hopefully they make some kind of museum of some sort. A true legend, he deserve more than that James Browm Arena... Augusta!

I grieve for one of South Carolina's native sons. It, too, was a shock for me. There won't be another like him.

Word is that the funeral of Jame Brown will be at the James Brown Arena. The funeral should be a "whos who" of entertainment.

I'm sure they will be having a special exhibit or something on display soon here in Macon, at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame.

May the Godfather of Soul rest in peace and may the citizens of Augusta finally give him the recognition he deserves.

^ There were (are?) many in this city who never seemed to cut James Brown any slack. No matter what, the smallest mistake and they were all over him. I'm not sure if it's that just human nature or what, but he was a good man and he did a lot for this city. It's very sad.

^ Indeed it does. You know sometimes this town just flat out impresses me. It'll do something progressive and it makes me proud of Augusta. Then other times......I don't know. Augusta is no different I guess than any other Southern city, but I wish it was.....