Can we finally have a playoff system

NcSc74

I have had it with the BCS. For once and for all can all of the power brokers please relent and agree to a playoff system. We can still keep the BCS to chose the top teams and we can still keep most of the more traditional bowls. Think of the revenue that would be generated. Sponsors and advertisers would line up like Tyrone Biggums at a free crack party. If division 3, 2 ane 1A( I know they changed the name this year) can do so can the big boys. Whats the hold up.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great mystery. The best sport on the planet with such a faulty system. It sucks!!! Have a Final 4 playoff....the 5th place team will not be able to complain. An Elite 8 could work too. And like you said rotate the major bowls.

Still have the lesser bowl games for the other deserving teams.

There are now 32 bowl games this season(3 or 4 new) with plenty of 6-6 teams. That's a joke. 64 out of 119 teams make bowl games; over 1/2.....I like football as much as anybody, but thats ridiculous.

Nice topic :thumbsup:

The reason they can't is because of all the money in bowl games, but I think what they should do is take the BCS bowl games, plus the 2 or 3 other big name bowls, name those bowls rounds in the playoffs, and rotate each year so that they each have a chance to be the national championship game. Have about 16 teams or 10 whatever is easier, and then all the other teams maybe do bowlgames? for money etc.. or get rid of them.

I think the only playoff I would like would be to take the top 4 teams in the BCS (regardless of conference) and play them in a small playoff. Any team that is undefeated is automatically in (so this year Boise St would have made the playoff). In the unlikely event that 5 teams go undefeated, well then the lowest ranked team gets screwed. This year the playoff would have been between Ohio St, Florida, Michigan and Boise State.

I wouldn't want some big 16 team playoff because right now I like the fact that a shot at the national title requires a team to be nearly perfect all season.

I think the only playoff I would like would be to take the top 4 teams in the BCS (regardless of conference) and play them in a small playoff. Any team that is undefeated is automatically in (so this year Boise St would have made the playoff). In the unlikely event that 5 teams go undefeated, well then the lowest ranked team gets screwed. This year the playoff would have been between Ohio St, Florida, Michigan and Boise State.

I wouldn't want some big 16 team playoff because right now I like the fact that a shot at the national title requires a team to be nearly perfect all season.

It would have been nice if the PLAYOFF's looked something like this:

These were the rankings before the bowl games....Rotate the Major Bowls

"Elite 8"

#1 Ohio State

#8 Boise State

-------------

#4 LSU

#5 Louisville

#3 Michigan

#6 Wisconsin

--------------

#2 Florida

#7 USC

I agree...they have pushed the National Title game way too far to Jan 8th!

*32 Bowl games is a joke; just finish 6-6 for the regular season and you qualify

"Elite 8"

#1 Ohio State

#8 Boise State

-------------

#4 LSU

#5 Louisville

#3 Michigan

#6 Wisconsin

--------------

#2 Florida

#7 USC

*32 Bowl games is a joke; just finish 6-6 for the regular season and you qualify

"Elite 8"

#1 Ohio State

#8 Boise State

-------------

#4 LSU

#5 Louisville

#3 Michigan

#6 Wisconsin

--------------

#2 Florida

#7 USC

This where I get conflicted. The elite 8 bracket shown above would be cool, but, when would these 4 games be played? If they were played in December, then it greatly diminishes the New Years Day Bowl tradition, which I would like to see restored to its former glory. You could do that by having these 4 games be the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta Bowls, all played the same day (New Years), but then you would push the season back another week, with the national title game being played around the 15th, which would be a problem.

Maybe you could play these 4 games in December right after the regular season ends, and after that determine the bowl schedule with the 2 "final four" games being played on New Years Day (among all the other bowl games), with the national title game a week later. That way, good teams who were in the playoffs but lost can still play in a decent bowl game, New Years can still be the grand finale of the season, and we get a playoff. So the schedule this year would have been something like this (using richyb83's teams, with my predicted/wished for results):

December 9: First Round

#1 Ohio State

#8 Boise State

-------------

#4 LSU

#5 Louisville

#3 Michigan

#6 Wisconsin

--------------

#2 Florida

#7 USC

Jan 1: National Semi-Final

Fiesta Bowl:

Ohio State

LSU

----------------

Rose Bowl:

Michigan

USC

(all other bowl games here)

Jan 8: National Title Game

LSU

USC

This year, the Orange and Sugar Bowls would have gotten first choice of participants outside of the 4 playoff teams. Next year, the Sugar and Orange could host the semi finals, and the Rose and Fiesta would get first choice on the non-playoff teams.

The BCS national title game could rotate bowl locations the way it does now.

Archived