Gerald Ford, 38th US president, passes away at 93

krazeeboi

Had nothing to do with it. Inflation spiked in the early 70s because of the Arab Oil Embargo that occured in 1973.

Inflation

• 1972 - 3.64%

• 1973 - 9.06% (Arab Oil Embargo begins October)

• 1974 - 11.75% (Arab Oil Embargo ends March)

• 1975 - 6.11%

• 1976 - 5.19%

Ford became VP in 1973 and president in 1974. If you can make the claim that he got inflation undercontrol because of the timing then he can be blaimed for it happening in the first place. The fact of the matter is when the Arabs cut off the oil to the USA it led to massive shortages and the prices of everything went up. It also caused a global recession during that period. Ford was powerless to do anything about it except to hope that running horse would soon stop so he could get off of it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand why, monsoon, you would keep bringing up negative things and keep calling him a bad president. You have your opinion and I have mine about Ford, but it's not necessary to keep talking about all the negative things Ford may have done.

No matter what he did, good or bad, this topic should be filled with positive things because he was there to help his fellow Americans get through the tough times and he should be treated with respect.

So why did you mention that rates were high when was in office as a point that he was a lackluster president at best? Additionally while many other republicans wanted an isolationist approach, he felt that we should work with the countries that we can, and try not to get wrapped up in things that we should not be in.

He actively worked to reduce inflation with his

Don't forget Gerald Ford had the New wing of the GOP calling themselves "neo-cons" always breathing down his neck. He was practically forced into bringing on neo cons like Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney into his Cabinet, and called upon Bob Dole in '76 because he couldn't have won the GOP nomination otherwise.

Truth is if we didn't have Gerald Ford chances are Jimmy Carter would never have been President, and Reagan's term would have began in 1977 instead of 1981. Ford helped the Reagan revolution from happening 4 years earlier, where it could have done some real damage (it still did some, but I don't think it did as much as it could have, thanks to Iran-Contra which may have never happened had Reagan been younger, and not suffering from debilitating Alzheimer's late in his Presidency.)

Ford was a Rockefeller-style Republican who realized that diplomacy and sacrifice were key components in resolving the issues of his day. A lot of people forget his other pardon: Gerald Ford also Pardoned many of the Vietnam Draft Dodgers, against the wishes of his interior staff.

His neo-pacifist, Southern Baptist worldview was a complete joke on the international scene, he dropped support for the Shah of Iran which led to the rise of a leading Islamist state that we're still dealing with today.

The only good thing he did was manage a peace treaty with Egypt and Israel, but that was already in process because of the cease fire negotiated by Ford......

If Ford pardoned any draft dodgers then he is not remembered for that and I don't remember him doing so. It does not seem possible with the war hawks that he had in his administration.

It was Jimmy Carter that gave amnesty to any and all draft dodgers when he took office and he also shut down the selective service system. I never had to register for the draft as a result. Tens of thousands of Americans in exile were able to return home after he did that. This is what I would call the great healing but of course the revisionists want to castigate Carter for everything he did.

It was Reagan/Bush Sr. that brought back the selective service and the law that demands that any 18 year old male in this country register with their local selective service board. That persists until today.

Just an aside, then back to the topic. Jimmy Carter has written how many books-30? How many has Bush written? If Bush did write a book (I doubt he would have the intellect to do so) would anyone actually read it? If Carter sucked so badly at being president why is he one of the most respected human beings on this planet?

I'm interested in knowing how many folks here think Ford and Nixon probably made a pre agreement (before Ford was appointed VP) that if push came to shove, Ford would later pardon Nixon? During the time it occurred, many people attributed the pardon to this possibilty.

The pardon killed Ford politically. Before the pardon, Ford's honeymoon polls were very very good. After the pardon, it was a different story. It looked like he had lost all credibility.

Ford had all my confidence, until I found out later on that he had been a huge participant and defender of the Warren Commission.

I don't give a damn that Ford made an idiotic slip of the tongue during the debate and claimed Poland wasn't under Soviet control. But I do care that he pardoned Nixon and participated in one of the most blatantly subversive groups (Warren Commission) in American history.

Archived