Gerald R. Ford

GRCentro

I was responding to this comment. the most awesome Presidents ev-VER!, which he obviously wasn't. I was around when he was President and he was not well regarded by most of the country. I don't think my city has any NASCAR drivers in it, but I do note that Ford lost to a President from NASCAR country.

For the rest of you, I do apologise for bringing this up in this thread. I did not realize Ford had anything to do with Grand Rapids until now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May he rest in peace.

A few details of funeral services in California, state funeral in Washington DC, and final arrival in Grand Rapids:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&...%20arrangements

The public will be allowed to line the motorcade route along Patterson and 28th Street, as well as in downtown.

241 international articles about Gerald Ford, and growing. (it was 220 when I checked five minutes ago).

There is a great gallery on cnn.com: From humble childhood to height of power . I can't link to it because it is a javascript popup but take a look. Lot's of cool pics from Grand Rapids (including his home on Union).

It's spooky to see what time does to a person. You look a Ford in his early years and he was quite a stud.

Do you think his death will lead to some kind of larger memorial / sculpture to his life?

Joe

From the Financial Times:

History has tended to look quite kindly on the 895 day Ford presidency, as did his countrymen at the time by nearly returning him to office in 1976 against Jimmy Carter. It was felt, then and now, that he had restored a degree of dignity and decency to a besmirched White House.

As a government teacher, I was just discussing Pres. Ford right before we left for break, and the privilage my students live with for having this man from our city. Too often we neglect what we have.

Pres. Ford was faced with two terrible choices, go against the wishes of 56% of Americans and possible criticism for life, or lead a country during a trial that would most assuredly last several years, and probably overshadow everything else. Either way there was no sunshine and lollipops alternative.

I agree with Henry Kissinger who once said, "I think he saved the country. In fact, he saved it in such a matter of fact way that he isn

I was too little to remember what the nation was like under Ford's presidency, or to feel the direct effects of his dicision making as president. But thanks to a visit to the Ford Museum and factoring in the Nixon legacy for better and for worse that was dumped on Ford's lap, I can appreciate the heavy load he had to bare on his shoulders and how he handled himself and his responsiblities with dignity. That alone has earned Mr. Ford my respect.

ROAD CLOSURE NOTIFICATION

NOTIFICATION DATE: 12/27/2006

STREET CLOSED: PEARL STREET

STREET FROM: MONROE

STREET TO: SCRIBNER

STARTING DATE: DECEMBER 27, 2006

456-3066

DESCRIPTION:

PEARL STREET WILL BE REDUCED TO ONE LANE IN EACH DIRECTION

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

My goodness. Gerald R. Ford.

He was almost a member of the family. At least it seemed so, when his Christmas card always had the honored place on the mantel in our Northside home.

Gerry never missed a trick with the constituents. Every time a high school kid did something noteworthy -- won a football game, played in a concert -- a rotogravured letter would quickly follow. (At least I think they were rotogravured -- if not, I have a whole bunch of Gerry Ford autographs somewhere in my junk.)

I saw him a bunch of times, when he was a Congressman, when he was Vice President (I got him to spill the secret recipe for the DKE house milk punch when I was covering him as a stringer for someone) and when he was President.

It is true that after 1948, Gerry Ford's life revolved around the Congress and his home in Alexandria, and Grand Rapids was really just a mail drop for the biennial reelection that was also ensured by the overwhelmingly Republican Fifth Congressional District. Still, he always seemed like home folks, no more than when he opened his mouth and that wonderful West Michigan accent, hard vowels, hard "rs," came rolling out.

RIP, Mr. President.

A lot of people forget the fact that Ford was simply filling the hole that Nixon left - he never really wanted the job. He was a good steward to the nation when it needed someone who was honest and trustworthy. The man was a Congressman first, and a president second. He never planned on the presidency, or had time to formulate real presidential goals and aspirations, nor did he dwell on his legacy as all to often politicians today do.

That being said, he brought a good deal of honor and dignity back to the Executive branch and to government in general.

And for that, cheers.

A lot of people forget the fact that Ford was simply filling the hole that Nixon left - he never really wanted the job. He was a good steward to the nation when it needed someone who was honest and trustworthy. The man was a Congressman first, and a president second. He never planned on the presidency, or had time to formulate real presidential goals and aspirations, nor did he dwell on his legacy as all to often politicians today do.

That being said, he brought a good deal of honor and dignity back to the Executive branch and to government in general.

And for that, cheers.

Archived