Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Fresh Market

101 posts in this topic

The site work has begun and the pad is being prepared for the new Fresh Market and small shops at Laurens & Pleasantburg across from McAlister! :yahoo: So great to see this quality of retail going into this area! :yahoo:

DSC00746.jpg

I think its great too. I drive past that corner everyday and I'm glad finally something is going in there. A few weeks ago I stopped by there on my lunch and watched as they tore up all the old pavement and old concrete. Does anyone know whats going in first of what its even gonna look like?

Not sure what it will look like. Not sure who the developer is. :dontknow: Btoy do you know?

While I was originally skeptical of the Fresh Market's prospects at its new location, I now think the store will do fine. I watched the mall and Pleasantburg Drive slide downhill starting in the late '90s and had seen surveys of the area that stated that there was only minimal business to be done in the area (available a while ago at pleasantburgdrive.org), but I was surprised to see large crowds at the McAlister Square Publix on Sunday and at the Camelot on Saturday night. Thus perhaps the Fresh Market will serve an untapped audience? Maybe mall-type stores will eventually return to the area as well?

The Publix stays pretty busy during the week. I occasionally go there to get lunch and its pretty crowded around lunch time.

Not sure what it will look like. Not sure who the developer is. :dontknow: Btoy do you know?

Hopefully this is the spark to get Pleasantburgh and Laurens Rd. looking good. While at lunch today I took the long way back and noticed somethings happening around my work. The demolition of Beck academy is going on, behind the old Lockheed building they tore some down and the property facing S pleasantburgh is for sale, and behind Beck there is a good sized apartment building that recently went up. Not sure what kind of tenants the building is gonna hold but it looks decent.

^ I agree. I think this will be a spark. Considering several solid, quality businesses have remained in the area.....Garners, Land Rover, 33 Liberty, Open Book, Indian Palace, Publix, Earshot, Great Escape, Half Moon Outfitters (along with the successful reopening of Camelot) this should be a good healthy spark! :thumbsup:

On my way to work this morning I noticed they have a sign leaning up against the back fence showing what is supposed to go into the part facing Antrum. Didn't have the camera with me, maybe someone can snap a photo. They started pretty quick on the clean up and now they have concrete curb outlines in so far.

On my way to work this morning I noticed they have a sign leaning up against the back fence showing what is supposed to go into the part facing Antrum. Didn't have the camera with me, maybe someone can snap a photo. They started pretty quick on the clean up and now they have concrete curb outlines in so far.

The Publix stays pretty busy during the week. I occasionally go there to get lunch and its pretty crowded around lunch time.

^^^Yes, it is staying open after the Publix at McBee Station opens.

I'll have to remember Vince Perone's when I'm at the Fresh Market. That was a neat place. Ronald Reagan had his 68th birthday there in 1980.

I'm not sure if the Fresh Market will do better in that location than next to the University Shop, though I guess due diligence on market research has certainly been done

I keep thinking that the new location is an interesting decision, considering Garner's is directly across the street, and is just about as good a natural food store/cafe as we have. Hmmm....

After I posted about the sign with the picture of the first buildings going in, it was gone. On my way home I looked for it and it was gone. They could of put it up facing S. Pleasantburgh but I dont go that way.

The building you see going up now is the Peoples Bank, it is not Fresh Market, just so everyone knows. The F.M. will come a little later,

The building you see going up now is the Peoples Bank, it is not Fresh Market, just so everyone knows. The F.M. will come a little later,

So Fresh Market will go where the current motel is being demolished? Has anyone seen a site plan for this development?

After I posted about the sign with the picture of the first buildings going in, it was gone. On my way home I looked for it and it was gone. They could of put it up facing S. Pleasantburgh but I dont go that way.

Looked like one of the office buildings is gone now and, as of this morning, the old hotel at this site is now yellow-taped off. Hopefully it is next to go.

The second office building is being demolished now. It is much larger than the first one. It looks like the hotel will be last, but no doubt, very soon.

There is a brick sign (reads Vince Perone Corners) with landscaping, on the corner of Pleasantburg and Antrim Drive. Will this be the name of this new development with Fresh Market, or was this sign errected in his memory? Nice marker type of sign.

^^^It was erected in his memory. It's been there for a couple months now. :)