The Southeastern Building

cityboi

Southeastern Building in downtown Greensboro

66380-400-0.jpg

The historic 9-story Southeastern Building is set to be converted to a mixed-use apartment/retail/office building by use of tax credits. The building had been changed over the years and it will be converted back to its 1920's style. The 90,000-square-foot building will have retail on the ground floor; 25,000 square feet of office space on floors two through four; and 47 apartments on floors four through nine.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...7022800^1393287

Developers Willard Tucker and Barry Siegal plan to take the Southeastern building in downtown Greensboro back to its 1920 look.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Developers are spending hard cash to convert the 1921 Southeastern building on Elm Street (Greensboro's first skyscraper) into apartments and the building will have a restaurant and a very large and classy nightclub in the basement. This helps push entertainment on Elm Street north of Market Street. The building will be returned to its 1921 look with the ionic columns at the base of the building. 1950s facade will be removed. Elm Street north of Market is called North Elm Street which means this would be the first nightclub on North Elm Street. Center-City park and Center Pointe is a block north of this building. The second and third floor will have offices. The apartments will include one- and two-bedroom units. Their size will range from about 500 square feet to more than 1,000. Rents will range from about $700 a month to about $1,500

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70614028

images of the Southeastern Building

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128542

• 3 months later...

Sounds like an interesting concept. I've always thought this building would make the perfect downtown hotel.

With the addition of a 3 story nightclub I hope we can soon change the city motto to: Greensboro, The city of bars and nightclubs.

I remember reading a while back that Greensboro had the highest amount of liquor licenses per capita in the state. I wonder if that's still the case.

Sounds like an interesting concept. I've always thought this building would make the perfect downtown hotel.

With the addition of a 3 story nightclub I hope we can soon change the city motto to: Greensboro, The city of bars and nightclubs.

I remember reading a while back that Greensboro had the highest amount of liquor licenses per capita in the state. I wonder if that's still the case.

• 2 months later...

apartments seem to be picking up since condo sales across the city are slowing down. I think we will see a number of proposed apartment developments downtown, especially with the growing number of students at A&T, Elon Law School, Greensboro College, Bennett College and UNCG.

• 4 months later...

Work will begin this month on the rehab of the Southeastern Building. the historic 9-story building will be converted to apartments.

The building will consist of 51 apartments, 20,000 square feet of office space, three retail spaces, a restaurant and a night club.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/737795075

The building will be returned to this look

Southeastern.gif

Now if they can only do something with the Guilford Building. I remember there was talk of converting the Guilford building into apartments in the early 1990s and it never happened. The Guilford Building sits nest to Greensboro Court Apartments. Those apartments are in rehab commercial buildings and an old textile mill. I think the Guilford Building would be a great extension of the Greensboro Court Apartments.

Cityboi, I applaud your idea for apartments in the Guilford Building. However, I don't think that would ever happen. I was surprised to learn a while back

that the Guilford Building is one of the most "wired for high-tech" buildings in the southeastern U.S. It is hard to believe! :o

It is my understanding that renovations are being done floor-by-floor as new tenants come in.

What the Guilford Building really needs is an exterior makeover! It is not a very attractive building....especially the back which faces Davie St.

• 2 months later...

Archived