Land along I-10

byrde

There is a large undeveloped tract of land along I-10 between Essen and Bluebonnet. Does anyone here know if there are any plans for this? This area was full of trees for years but was cleared of the tree's a while back. I've seen some dirt moving equipment out there, but I don't remember reading anyting about what plans are on the table for this.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question Bryde. I have been wondering that myself. If I had to guess....they cleared that land for a possible new LSU/University Hospital ...they had been saying they wanted to locate the new hospital in the emerging "Medical corridor". Between OLOL and Bluebonnet BR General/Oschner. I could be wrong; but that was my guess..they just keep some things so secretive around here sometimes.

BTW Byrde..hope you and your family had a nice Christmas.

^Yes I'm sure they have been.

Wards Creek greenbelt parallel's I-10 . Alot of that greenbelt has been coming down.

Under the Green Light Plan; Essen Park Ave. is supposed to extend thru this large area of cleared land. And a new north-south street called Midway Ave. will connect this too. That's part of BR's traffic problem is the lack of connectivity. Some of these new streets will help out the Essen and Bluebonnet corridors.

• 2 years later...

Posted today in BR Growth & Development...been so long ago had to dig upold thread; thought I rembered Bryde starting this topic up way back.....Cajun even has a bet on what will happen to this property...

Alot of us here on UP have been be curious to see what becomes of the prime property along I-10 in the medical corridor.....

OLOL trying to decide on land use

Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center has hired a consultant to help the hospital figure out the best use for 60 acres of undeveloped property between Essen Lane and Interstate 10, where it has long-term plans for new facilities and where soil work is under way.

Consultant Philip Crochet, who helped the Lake evaluate some of its other properties, will perform an evaluation that will tell the Lake what its options are, spokeswoman Catherine Harrell said.

The Lake paid $15.25 million for the property in a deal that closed Dec. 31.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/41444462.html

Funding for LSU, Lake deal sought; Plan would close Earl K. Long facility

LSU will go to the state Legislature next month for the $120 million in construction funding needed if a deal is struck for Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center to become LSU

Archived