Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonofaque86

Where Are You From?

South Carolina Forum Census   39 members have voted

1. 1. Which area do you consider yourself from/native of?

• Upstate
    • Midlands
    • Lowcountry
    • Pee Dee
    • None. I've only visited/driven thru or just wanted to know whats going on in SC.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 posts in this topic

Got this from some other state threads...Just thought it'd be interesting to have a SC forum census. Where do you consider yourself from?

This is actually somewhat difficult for me. I'm from Orangeburg County, typically labeled as a Midlands county. However, I tend to think of it as more Lowcountry than Midlands, particularly around the southern end of the county where I last lived; after all, it's all coastal plain. I think I might have to abstain on this one. :)

I've always thought of Orangeburg as the Lowcountry too. I have some family from that area and they have always said the same. I guess it depends on which end of the county you claim. The northern parts may be more 'midlands' than 'lowcountry'

I lived in Orangeburg for 9 years and now Columbia for 8 so I'll obviously claim the midlands.

All of my mother's people are from Southern Orangeburg County, not far from the Dorchester County line. They have allegiances to both Charleston and Columbia. They even watch both Charleston and Columbia news. My grandfather and uncle always sold their produce at the S.C. Farmers Market, for as long as I can remember, but my uncle loves to go shrimping every chance he gets. They live in the best of both worlds, I guess, just like I live in the best of both worlds between the coast and the mountains.

I was born in Sumter. When I was 4 we moved to Salley. When I was 8 we moved to Swansea. When I was 15 we moved to Santee. Then I went to Clemson for three misguided semesters and could never get over the feeling of having been sent away to school in some remote corner of the state, even though it was of my own choosing. I left Clemson for NYC and after a spring and summer there moved to D.C. where I lived for five years. Then I moved to Columbia and finished my degree at USC and have been here 23 years next month. I'm from the Midlands.

Hmm... Of the list, it would have to be the Midlands, but I've never heard of anyone in Aiken that actually considers Aiken part of the Midlands...

This whole side of the state tends to be undefined (other than the CSRA in Aiken, Edgefield, and Barnwell). But I (and some others) think there are enough commonalities between the mostly rural western counties to group them together. Specifically Aiken, Allendale, Bamburg, Barnwell, Edgefield, McCormick, and somewhat Saluda (Hampton also fits economically, but I think they're really Lowcountry). Some names I've heard have been Thoroughbred Country, CSRA, Western Carolina, Savannah River region, etc... CSRA seems geographically applicable, but it's really only used for the Metropolitan Augusta counties + Barnwell. The 2nd most common is Thoroughbred Country... That label is really only applicable to Aiken, but it is used in several other of these counties...

Topher1, you're right about that part of the state. Aiken County is definitely more CSRA than anything; I guess that makes it a transitional area, something like my native Orangeburg County.

Even my current location of Rock Hill is debatable. Technically it could be considered Upstate, but York County isn't included in the common grouping of Upstate counties. We're more central Carolina Piedmont by virtue of our proximity to Charlotte and our inclusion in the Charlotte MSA. Once again, an identity crisis. :)

In terms of SC, Aiken would technically be in the Midlands, and Rock Hill would technically be in the Upstate... but like you said, they are more associated with regions that cross state borders.

I've always thought it would be cool to see a map of these types of regions, and who ideentifies themselves with what region.

Houston then to Sumter/Florence and now Columbia so I am really up in the air. So I will go with the Midlands i was in Sumter more than Florence.

I was born in Liberty, SC in the Anderson County part of Liberty. I now live in Piedmont and own land near liberty which im planning on building a house on. Upstate all the way!

:yahoo: Columbia born and bred! On the playground is where I spent most of my days... :rofl:

Is your mom sending you to Greenville to get away from the guys who "started making trouble in your neighborhood?" ;)

Is your mom sending you to Greenville to get away from the guys who "started making trouble in your neighborhood?" ;)

I remember some folks being dissapointed when I made a similar poll a year ago - I neglected the peedee region. But though some would disagree that York Co is considered upstate, I do. Besides, all of my family is from Spartanburg - so the upstate feels like home.

Ive always felt like rock hill and york feel seperated from where we are at here in the anderson-greenville-spartanburg area. I took a trip to rock hill in 2004 or whenever it was they got all that snow up there to visit a friend of mine and enjoyed the trip.

^ I can understand that, just that Rock Hill neither has similarities with Florence, Sumter, Greenwood or Columbia either. Culturally, York Co. has more in common with the Upstate than the midstate, not to mention western York Co. is quite hilly with a few peaks over & near 1000 ft.

Rock Hill and York County just feel apart of the Charlotte area. I never associated it with the Upstate

The Upstate of SC and the NC Peidmont area including Charlotte and the Triad have close historical ties with each other. A lot of it is terrain based, which is why all of the textile mills located in this region.

I'm a proud "Pee Dee Person"! However, I haven't lived there in a long time.

I now live in the Midlands, and have also lived in the Lowcountry and the Upstate (whew!) over the years. Now, if only I could live in the CSRA (Aiken County or Richmond County, GA) . . .

I agree that Aiken and the other CSRA counties, as well as Rock Hill, do not fit in any of the choices perfectly. One could also argue for separating the Grand Strand from the Pee Dee. Orangeburg County is a conundrum--it is the only east-west oriented county in the state, and therefore sprawls across multiple regions. Still, I would call it more Midlands than anything else. The Midlands doesn't mean just the Columbia metro, but Sumter and Orangeburg (and some would say Camden, but that's really in the metro) as well, right?

when i was younger this is how i new where somebody kinda was. when i hear 864 i automatically think of the upstate and 843 i think of Charleston and the lowcountry and 803 i thought of the midlands. i know its not accurate but thats what comes to mind lol

Wow that makes me feel old :) I remember not likeing the new 864 area code because I had to "re-learn" my phone number.

I'm a proud "Pee Dee Person"! However, I haven't lived there in a long time.

I now live in the Midlands, and have also lived in the Lowcountry and the Upstate (whew!) over the years. Now, if only I could live in the CSRA (Aiken County or Richmond County, GA) . . .

I agree that Aiken and the other CSRA counties, as well as Rock Hill, do not fit in any of the choices perfectly. One could also argue for separating the Grand Strand from the Pee Dee. Orangeburg County is a conundrum--it is the only east-west oriented county in the state, and therefore sprawls across multiple regions. Still, I would call it more Midlands than anything else. The Midlands doesn't mean just the Columbia metro, but Sumter and Orangeburg (and some would say Camden, but that's really in the metro) as well, right?