Where Are You From?

sonofaque86

South Carolina Forum Census  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which area do you consider yourself from/native of?

• Upstate
    • Midlands
    • Lowcountry
    • Pee Dee
    • None. I've only visited/driven thru or just wanted to know whats going on in SC.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orangeburg itself is closer to Columbia than Charleston. However, the eastern (Holly Hill, Eutawville, Santee) and southern (Branchville) portions of the county are a bit more connected to Charleston, and the western portion (Norway, Springfield) is right next door to Aiken County.

I spent my entire formative years in the Pee Dee before moving on to greener pastures. I agree that an argument could be made for separating the Grand Strand from the Pee Dee region because there is quite a difference between the two. I see the GS as part of the coastal region.

As far as Orangeburg and Sumter being a part of Cola Metro, I tend to agree. Aren't both less than 40 miles from Cola? If they aren't now, they will be in a few years.

The Sumter Metro has cities like Manning in Clarendon and Bishopville in Lee in its MSA. People around the state and forumers on these types of forum fail to realize Sumter is its own MSA and the governments in these counties have already started creating regional bodys to build porjects for example the Sumter Clarendon Industral Site which is suppose to be one of largest on the east coast, and the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center. I doubt Sumter will be over taken by Columbia and put into its MSA, Sumter is also roughly 45 miles from Columbia. But closer to Florence my 5 miles so we have the benfit of being pulled into the midlands and pee dee to boost it in polls.

when i was younger this is how i new where somebody kinda was. when i hear 864 i automatically think of the upstate and 843 i think of Charleston and the lowcountry and 803 i thought of the midlands. i know its not accurate but thats what comes to mind lol

Funny you mention Holly Hill. My sister lives there and said she feels more connected to Columbia than Charleston because she goes there more. That's probably because our parents live in the Columbia area, though.

She does do her major shopping in Columbia, since Holly Hill isn't exactly the retail capital of the world.

...I was born in the Great Pee Dee, in eastern Florence county in a town called Johnsonville, home of the Johnsonville High Fighting Flashes. J'ville is about 40 miles from Myrtle Beach, 100 from Columbia, and 89 from city of Charleston.

When I was growing up in Johnsonville, MAIN STREET was about 1/2 mile long with high steps that led up the street to the local department stores like Lanes and Tomsolins (and everybody knew your family's name), an old abandoned movie house that I had heard shut down due to integration in 1960s, a dime store (where I bought chocolate covered peanuts-my favorite), a diner that smelled like grilled burgers, Johnsonville State Bank, a radio shack, a furniture store, and two supermarkets-IGA being the biggest in the heart of town, and Red & White was on the west end of Main Street in Westside Plaza, where a discount store called Ken's used to be located along with a women's botique that all the girls got their gowns for the prom and homecoming game. The town's dime store went out of business in 1977 during my senior year at JHS, which shocked all of us. Railroad Ave, east of Main Street, was the location of City Hall, the Police Dept and the jailhouse. One firehouse-a volunteer fire department-was up on Main near Georgetown Road, where J'ville's only stoplight was located. Wellman Industries was the town's lone big industry driving north on Hwy 41 or Georgetown Rd near the Lynches River. Also on the 41 was a popular fast food place--Chick (something?) that replaced a dairy queen from the 1960s.

After I finished high school, I was enrolled in college in Charelston and spent six to seven years in Columbia/Myrtle Beach and Charleston. In Charleston, I fell in love with a native Californian living in Charleston as a King Street bookstore owner, and eventually moved with that person to San Francisco, CA, in 1982. The City of San Francisco has been my permenant home address for 24 years now, which is longer than any place I've ever lived...In SF I've lived in various neighborhood over the years, each with its own identity and like a separate little village in The City, starting with my lst address on Missouri Street in Potrero Hill (about 4 blocks from Carolina Street!), Beulah Street in the Haight-Ashbury, Mirabel Street in Bernal Heights, Fell Street in Western Addition, 21st Avenue in the Richmond District (near the Pacific ocean), Eddy Street in the crime-ridden Tenderloin district #6, Twin Peaks Blvd overlooking the City in Twin Peaks in an apartment I nicknamed "Bird's Nest", and for the last 10 years on Dolores Street in Castro-Mission district #8...

Sometimes I miss the quiet life I so fondly remember of growing up with family and friends in a friendly small town like Johnsonville...SF is great 'cause I've known it for so long now...but people here can be very heartless and cold.

post-800-1167870893_thumb.jpg

post-800-1167871229_thumb.jpg

post-800-1167870893_thumb.jpg

post-800-1167871229_thumb.jpg

The Sumter Metro has cities like Manning in Clarendon and Bishopville in Lee in its MSA. People around the state and forumers on these types of forum fail to realize Sumter is its own MSA and the governments in these counties have already started creating regional bodys to build porjects for example the Sumter Clarendon Industral Site which is suppose to be one of largest on the east coast, and the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center. I doubt Sumter will be over taken by Columbia and put into its MSA, Sumter is also roughly 45 miles from Columbia. But closer to Florence my 5 miles so we have the benfit of being pulled into the midlands and pee dee to boost it in polls.

Archived