Trance/Dance Music

mcheiss

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Dark By Design - Blackout (yoji biomehanika mix) <-- decent mix. But, if you're into classical/trance fusion at all, you MUST check out the Yoji vs. Romeo Toscani Mix. The opera vocals are downright stunning. Unfortunately my crowd gets annoyed by the long drawn out part near the beginning of the cooldown, so I either have to apply some effects or fade it out into another track around that point when DJing live.

A lot of those tracks are fairly old, though. As far as classics go, IMHO some of the best are:

Robert Miles - Children (Dream Version) [EVERYBODY should know this tune, electronica fan or not]

Underworld - Born Slippy [by far the best ever, imho]

Miss Shiva - Dreams 2002 (Cosmic Gate Mix)

Safri Duo - Played Alive (The Bongo Song)

Silvertear - So Deep (Perfect Sphere Mix)

I know there's more I'd like to add here

As far as tracks I often spin, here's a breakdown by style:

Mellow/Vocal/Smooth:

Faithless - Bombs (Benny Benassi Mix)

Karen Overton - Your Loving Arms (Club Mix)

Rachel Starr - Till There Was You (Gabriel and Dresden 12 Step Edit)

Sugartape - Summerdaze

Sunlounger - White Sand (Original Mix)

Classical / Trance Fusion:

Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Woody van Eyden feat. Jimmy H - Y68 (Peaktwins Remix)

Der Mystik - Technological Sky (Wandii Remix)

Qursion pres. Internal Front - Fundamental Noise

Jesselyn - Contact

Baced vs. Ace's Delight - Witness (Handel's Sarabonde)

Front 242 - Carmina Burana

Ace's Delight - Mental Theme (Ultra Trance Mix)

Dark By Design - Blackout (Yoji vs. Romeo Toscani)

Selu Vibra - Divine

Explosive Tracks (Dunno the correct term, basically anything that just grabs your attention and shoots the energy through the roof)

Armin van Buuren - Control Freak (Sander van Doorn Mix)

Randy Katana - Play It Louder [A huge favourite of mine]

DJ Mixin Marc - French Kiss (DJ Scot Project Remix)

there's more of these, but they fall into other categories

Electro

Abel Ramos - Electro Fun (E-Craig Mix)

Marco V - Red Blue Purple

Substate - Horizon (Mac Zimms Mix)

Bolier vs. Coenraad - Mighty Ducks

Other Notables

Simon Patterson - F16 (Original Mix)

Way Out West - Killa (DJ Orkidea Mix)

Arksun - Arisen

I could honestly go on forever, and I'm constantly acquiting more tracks. I record a 1-hour set once a month that I feature new tracks in, I'll be recording January's mix this Sunday. I'll be throwing in a few of the classics I mentioned above into the set because of it being the new year and all.

I've voted Yoji #1 on DJ Mag 2 years in a row now. He's simply amazing. I'm hoping he comes to Chicago sometime.

I've traditionally put it on my website and linked to it from my myspace ( myspace.com/djchandni ), and will begin distribution as a promotional cd with my next mix.

Actually, I took a more geeky route in, and have yet to land any 'normal' gigs (haven't been actively seeking.. waiting to get a laptop first)

But, I know a guy who manages a local internet cafe / gaming center which has a large floor space reserved for DDR (japanese dancing game that uses a lot of cheesy electronica music and has a dedicated following) hooked up to a 20 foot projection screen. The guy is a fan of Tiesto, so I approached him with the idea of coming in and spinning some music there in their DDR Space, throwing visuals onto their 20 foot screen. I ended up doing it several more times and have branched out to other internet cafes in the area.

Met one promoter/organiser in the area and he really likes my energy and dedication to the music, and once I get a laptop I'll start aggressively chasing down gig opportunities and sending demo cds to clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just mixed this set today, wanted to know your opinion on it.

Fire and Ice - Souvenir de Chine (Original Mix)

Riley & Durant - Condesco

Tiesto - Nyana

Fred Baker - Total Blackout

Primer - Everlast

Fonzerelli - Moonlight Party

Johan Gielen - Physical Overdrive (Original 12")

Sean Tyas - Lift

Inertia - The Chamber

Hammer & Funbashi - Moments (Original Mix)

Exposure - Magical Impulse (Original Mix)

Thomas Bonzwaer - Circa (Thomas Bronzwaer Deep Mix)

Hemstock & Jennings vs. Adam W. - Revenge (Original)

Kyau vs. Albert - Are You Fine

Sonorous - Protonic (Leama & Moore Remix)

Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Richard Durand Remix)

Duncan Sheik - I'm on a High (DJ Montana Remix)

4 Strings - Mainline (Original Mix)

DJ Deraven - I Love You Ambre (cl2054 Remix)

Jose Amnesia vs. Shawn Mitiska - My All (Markus Schulz Remix)

Bart Claessen - Playmo

I'm unfamiliar with a decent number of those songs, but others are some old favourites of mine. I guess I'd have to listen to the mix. =]

Which brings me to:

My newest mix is available. =D

JANUARY

A little bit overdue, but here it finally is. This month I focused a bit more on Trance, starting off with some more progressive and vocal tracks, and ending with more classical fusion tracks. Next month I hope to focus a little more on Goa and Hardhouse.

1) Ronski Speed - The Space We Are (John O'Callaghan Remix)

2) Armin van Buuren feat. Racoon - Love You More (Vocal Mix)

3) Headstrong - The Truth (David West Progressive Mix)

4) Super8 & POS present Aalto - 5 (Original Mix)

5) Der Mystik - Technological Sky (Wandii Remix)

6) Quirsion pres Internal Front - Fundamental Noise (Original Mix)

7) Jesselyn - Contact

8) Airbase - Sinister (Airbase Jubilee Mix)

9) Simon Patterson - F16 (Original Mix)

59 Minutes 42 Seconds

54.6MB

>> DOWNLOAD <<

The first mix I've recorded using my hardware mixer (finally figured out how to record it properly that way) as opposed to using the software mixer with my previous mixes. Sounds 20x better now. =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FEBRUARY

This month is all Trance and Hard Dance. I've decided that I will separate Goa from my monthly mixes and give that genre its own mix which I will do once every few months, in addition to my monthly mix. I hope to have a Goa mix prepared by next month.

Also feel free to contact me and tell me your favourite track of the mix, and I'll work it into next month's set.

1) Above & Beyond - Can't Sleep (Original Mix)

2) Kendidel Lopez - Heaven's Caliber (Thomas Datt Remix)

3) Dreas vs Mike Perry - Arctic Sweep (Original Mix)

4) Headstrong - The Truth (Dave West Progressive Mix) {Chandni's Tune of the Month}

5) Bolier & Coenraad - Mighty Ducks (Original Mix)

6) Leon Bolier pres. Precursor - Lyra (Joop Mix)

7) Randy Katana - Play It Louder (Original Mix)

8) Romeo Toscani & Yoji Biomehanika - Acid Spunk

9) Fusion 808 - Take On Me (Reeloop Remix)

57 Minutes 23 Seconds

52.5MB

)) DOWNLOAD ((

Okay, just finished it but I'm not sure how long it is:

Solarstone and Jes - Like a Waterfall (Solarstone Remix)

Selu Vibra - Divine (Original Mix)

Purple Haze - Adrenaline

Rank 1 - Such is Life

Vinylgroover and the Red Hed - Aetiate (Original Mix)

BT - The Force of Gravity (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Benya - Promethus (Original Mix)

Markus Schulz - Without Your Near (And Departure w/ Gabriel & Dresden)

Lucas & Beltram - Trust Me (Original Mix)

Mac Zimms - Kenetic (Original Mix)

Derb - Coole Sau

Airbiscut - Lately (Riley & Durrant Remix)

Capetown - Cinema (Ferry Tale Dedicated Remix)

Mazza and Martinelli - Good Fun (Energy Mix)

Tiesto - Traffic

Octagon - Untold (Original Mix)

Karen Overton - Your Loving Arms (Markus Schulz Remix)

Yilmaz Altanhan - Eighties

Firewall - Sincere (Original Mix)

Aly & Filla - Eye of Hub (Solid Globe Remix)

Hope You Enjoy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just in Chicago to see a free show headlining BT. It was run by Vision, at the Congress Theater, with Blake Jarrel I believe as the opening DJ. It was horrible. The DJs or DJ was great, but everything else was horrible. I've been to Vision's club before and it's really a great, well-run place, but it seemed that this event was put together by children. It was advertised as 9PM-2AM at the Congress. I got there at 9:30 and entered a line that was not moving, outside the building. At around 11:00 we were finally permitted enterance into the building itself. The building was great.. an old-era style theater with huge domes overhead.. yet showing abandon and decay with spots of missing paint and chipped plaster, and a void of any original furniture. Gave a really underground feel, which was good. However, there was no supplied seating in the lobby, either.

My friend and I had been walking around Chicago all day long.. the only thing on our minds at this point after standing in line for an hour and a half was sitting. We waited an addition half-hour in the lobby, waiting in a line. Around 11:30 bore witness to hundreds of people exiting the main room into the lobby, as though something else was scheduled ??-11:30. Finally around 11:45 we got to go inside the main room, and listened to a CD for 15 minutes whilst they set up the dj table. After that, sound checks, and bringing in speakers through the crowd and setting them up on stage.

Finally the opening DJ began to play.. Blake Jarrel. Played the new track by Cerf & Mitiska which I was REALLY hoping to hear, and a few other awesome tracks. Unfortunately there was no Coat Check anywhere it seemed, so we put our coats and bag on the floor next to a platform we made into a seat, and took turns dancing, the other watching our things, and never going up towards the stage, staying near eachother.

I never used the bathroom but my friend did. From what he told me, the sound was amplified 10x in the bathroom, almost deafening. It looked as though it had never been cleaned, there was vomit all over the place, and only one sink worked.. cold water only. There were no paper towels -- not even a dispenser for such -- nor any blowers, leaving your own clothing as the only means of drying your hands.

Around 1AM, it ws still Blake Jarrel on the decks, no BT. Frustrated, we left early.

As I've said, the Vision Nightclub itself is a great, well-run place, but I am NEVER going to a show at the Congress Theater again, especially if it is run by Vision. It was a horrible, excrutiating experience. I'd suggest everyone to avoid that place.

That sucks. Never been to Vision before, I'll have to take that into consideration. I once had a bad experience at Glow in DC. Some punk tried to mug me while standing in line and a couple of my friends and me mustered him up against the wall. He looked like he was going to **** his pants!! ^_^ I'm trying to find a venue sometime this year in the states that's going to have Blank & Jones or Armin. Any ideas on either of them? I'd love to see one of them this year. Good to see you back on here, did I tell you that I'm purchasing Technics 1210's this week?

If this has already been mentioned, forgive me guys.:)

I heard something interesting the other day---that the 1980s dance song "You spin me round (like a record)" by Dead or Alive/Pete Burns has been re-mixed and re-released YET AGAIN!

This is about the fourth or fifth time it's been remixed and released, and always goes to the top ten dance hits in the UK. I was wondering if you guys hear this song in American dance clubs?

It is expected to continue to be a dance hit (in new incarnations) over and over into perpetuity. A never-say-die piece of music!

The newest rendition is really fun.

mcheiss:

I'm jealous! And the Vision club itself is great, and I have seen Blank & Jones on their bill several times now.. just avoid the Congress Theater.

Charlotteman:

I can't really provide much of an answer myself, as all the DJs in my town play breaks, rap, or House. So, I only go to the club once every few months across the lake in Chicago.. to see high-ranked DJs like Marcus Schulz and Armin van Buuren.. and I don't think they'll be playing such. Knowing how the radio is here, though, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this new remix gets play in clubs.

Archived