Trance/Dance Music

mcheiss

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe so, but I understand where you're coming from as well. Rest assured, when I DJ I always start right on time, and continue on past the ending time ;D

Promotion on the other hand... I average 10-15 people per show usually =[ Profit? What's that?

Well it seems there are awesome clubs, and also some clubs that should just be outright avoided. Here's one to avoid: The BOB in Grand Rapids, and here's why: (cross-posted from GR Watering Hole.)

So, I got out of work an hour early, washed up the best I could and brought a change of clothes with me to work so I could get to the BOB tonight and enjoy electronica combined with a small string ensemble. I mean, what EDM fan wouldn't? Electronica... and STRINGS! Such a combination, live, is simply breathtaking.

So, I get downtown, walk into the BOB, and I hear the music already pumping. I'm getting excited. I get up to the bouncer, and he tells me "It's $5 to get in, and you can't get in with those shoes."

..what?

"You can't get in with those shoes." I thought this was something for the movies, but apparently not. So I tell him "But uhh.. I live 30 minutes away in Wayland, that'd mean a full hour's drive and a lot of gas just for a pair of shoes. Can't you get me in?" -- "Nope."

Seriously, WHO TURNS PEOPLE AWAY BECAUSE OF SHOES ONLY?! Apparently the BOB. They really don't care about the music, just a stuffy image of "sophistication" and adults who used to be the 'popular kid' in school and out of school feel lost without that popularity and have to rely on getting drunk at 'sophisticated' clubs where they can piss their pants and pass out on their way home and it's still all OK in the end.

I just came there to listen to music. Beautiful music. But apparently I can't listen to music without wearing the right kind of shoes. That's right everyone, you have to wear certains kinds of shoes to listen to music. I mean, it should be common knowledge, right?

Seriously, what's next? Are glasses going be determined a sign of 'unsophistication'? "I'm sorry sir but you can't come in with those glasses, you'll need to wear contacts." Let's not stop there. Maybe they can add hair colour to their dress code. No blondes allowed, you'll have to go home and dye your hair black. Just so you can listen to some music.

<<

Well, whatever. I'm sure as hell not going to go back to the BOB again. Why waste my time going to a place run by pompus assholes when I can just go to a much better club in Chicago? One that won't tell me I'm not allowed because of the way I look. A place that puts the music first. Something Grand Rapids apparently doesn't have.

*sigh* I can't even begin to describe just how infuriated I am.

That club sounds very very similar to the rules at hip-hop clubs, particularly ones with college parties. Got look a certain way, no this no that. However, once you're inside it doesn't matter if you leave stumbling and about ready to kill people. That's the city's problem.

That's what made me lose all care about clubs. They're pretty selective and elitist, unless totally grimey. The music generally is pretty awful, appealing to the lowest common denominator. Maybe it'd be slightly different with trance clubs. But with hip-hop and dance/house, no. And the overcrowding is horrible.

I'm more of a fan of bars anyway. If they play music, good.

Well it seems there are awesome clubs, and also some clubs that should just be outright avoided. Here's one to avoid: The BOB in Grand Rapids, and here's why: (cross-posted from GR Watering Hole.)

So, I got out of work an hour early, washed up the best I could and brought a change of clothes with me to work so I could get to the BOB tonight and enjoy electronica combined with a small string ensemble. I mean, what EDM fan wouldn't? Electronica... and STRINGS! Such a combination, live, is simply breathtaking.

So, I get downtown, walk into the BOB, and I hear the music already pumping. I'm getting excited. I get up to the bouncer, and he tells me "It's $5 to get in, and you can't get in with those shoes."

..what?

"You can't get in with those shoes." I thought this was something for the movies, but apparently not. So I tell him "But uhh.. I live 30 minutes away in Wayland, that'd mean a full hour's drive and a lot of gas just for a pair of shoes. Can't you get me in?" -- "Nope."

Seriously, WHO TURNS PEOPLE AWAY BECAUSE OF SHOES ONLY?! Apparently the BOB. They really don't care about the music, just a stuffy image of "sophistication" and adults who used to be the 'popular kid' in school and out of school feel lost without that popularity and have to rely on getting drunk at 'sophisticated' clubs where they can piss their pants and pass out on their way home and it's still all OK in the end.

I just came there to listen to music. Beautiful music. But apparently I can't listen to music without wearing the right kind of shoes. That's right everyone, you have to wear certains kinds of shoes to listen to music. I mean, it should be common knowledge, right?

Seriously, what's next? Are glasses going be determined a sign of 'unsophistication'? "I'm sorry sir but you can't come in with those glasses, you'll need to wear contacts." Let's not stop there. Maybe they can add hair colour to their dress code. No blondes allowed, you'll have to go home and dye your hair black. Just so you can listen to some music.

<<

Well, whatever. I'm sure as hell not going to go back to the BOB again. Why waste my time going to a place run by pompus assholes when I can just go to a much better club in Chicago? One that won't tell me I'm not allowed because of the way I look. A place that puts the music first. Something Grand Rapids apparently doesn't have.

*sigh* I can't even begin to describe just how infuriated I am.

I honestly don't get what the big deal is about shoes. Pictures I've seen of european clubs show people wearing casual clothing. Are they wearing penny-loafers on their feet or something? I just don't get what the big deal is. Dirty shoes I can understand.. can relate to an issue of keeping the dance floor clean. Type of shoes, just doesn't make any sense.

I honestly don't get what the big deal is about shoes. Pictures I've seen of european clubs show people wearing casual clothing. Are they wearing penny-loafers on their feet or something? I just don't get what the big deal is. Dirty shoes I can understand.. can relate to an issue of keeping the dance floor clean. Type of shoes, just doesn't make any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived