Trance/Dance Music

mcheiss

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've sadly been selling off my equipment.....two Sl-1200's gone, and the Numark mixer in the trash....I've got a Yamaha EX-7 synth that's probably destined for eBay-land, but this thread brought a lot of smiles to my face. I have stacks of vinyl that will have to find a new home where there is a turntable to play them, but looking through the other day, I found some favorites.

Some of the best are:

Alpha Team - Speed Racer (Original Mix)

BT - Flaming June

Omar Santana - Raver's Damnation

Pure Sugar - Hands to Heaven

2 Phat Cunts (Sasha and BT) - Ride

Underworld - Bruce Lee

Praga Khan - My Mind is My Enemy

and tons of BK (the god of Hard House) all released by Nukleuz Records

That's stinks that you've had to sell you're equipment. I recently purchased two Pioneer CDJ-1000MK2, about to buy two Techincs 1210's and a Pioneer DJM-600 Mixer. If you're willing to sell some of your vinyl, I'd love to see your equipment as I'm always looking for new vinyl.

Some of my personal favorite vinyls that I own are:

NRC - Here Comes the Rain (Push Remixes): Only 50 exist in the world

Bjork - Pagan Poetry (Infusion Remix): Only 1000 in the world

DJ Tiesto - Battleship Grey Promo

Mo-Do - Eins Zwei Polizei: First record I ever spun

Highland - No Way Out: The vinyl has errors

DJ Sammy - I Can See You (Humbolt Remixes)

Kosmas Epsilon - Innocent Thoughts

I just started listening to trance a little bit about 12-18 months ago. To this date, I really don't have that many CDs and couldn't tell you what most tracks are, besides from what I have and what I can recognize from XM's Channel 82.

I went to go to NYC to see Ferry Corsten about three weeks ago. I took the train to The City, and that becomes a big factor in this story. I figured: doors open at 10, undercard goes on 10:30 or 11, Corsten at 11 or 11:30, I'm back at Grand Central for the 1:08 train north. (That time table is perfectly standard in Connecticut and Massachusetts.) I'm just standing around and it's 12:15 and some random DJ is just doing his thing. So I ask, when the hell does Corsten get on and the guy's like... 2, maybe 3. I had work at 11 in the morning back in CT, so I left the club. Bummer. But apparently people in NYC don't have day jobs, and the clubs there go on forever.

Like a Waterfall, Flaming June, Force of Gravity, Arisen, and White Sand are all tracks mentioned earlier in this topic that are stuff I like. There's some other stuff in here that I recognize: Nyana, Traffic, 5, Sail, Control Freak, and Can't Sleep.

Has anyone heard of a track called 3Together by M.I.K.E.? My cousin gave me a mix CD, but didn't give a listing of the tracks on it. Track 6 on it, I played it on the radio one day and it wasn't until I put it into the CD player there that I saw what Track 6 was. Then I Googled it and couldn't find anything about it.

Some things that I'm spinning right now are:

Solee - Impressed

David Forbes - Live Without You

Dave 202 - Generate the Wave

Haven't heard of that track Lowerdeck, but have you considered checking Discogs? They have probably 99% of all CD's, Vinyl's, Tapes, etc on file on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless plug:

All you Techno junkies should come to Detroit this weekend (Memorial Day weekend) and partake in the Detroit Electronic Music Festival. It draws crowds from around the globe!

www.demf.com

forgive me... but, i am not very knowledgable about trance/techno music - other than a few names here and there. but i found it interesting that you said detroit is practically the birthplace of all electronic music. were you just kidding.... if not i'd love to know that history. i have heard that detroit has been called the birthplace of techno, but, electronic music is far larger than that specific genre.

i had always assumed electronic music was mainly pioneered in germany... some of the earliest i know of would be karlheinz stockhausen. then a few years later bands like kraftwerk and NEU! seemed to be early examples of bringing electronic music to popular music. the advent of the moog synthesizer seemed to diversify the electronic component into many, many styles of music... from switched on bach to the the silver apples (nyc). it would really seem to me that robert moog from nyc would be an apt "father of electronic music"... only b/c i believe he brought the concept to the mainstream unlike any before (and maybe even after) him.

i'm curious... what is detroit's role in the history of electronic music?

It just so happens to be that techno is a blanket cover for trance, house, and all the other branch offs. I'm guilty of calling it techno at times myself, when I refer to trance or something similar I can't particularly describe.

Is there any particular place where I can see definitions of the various types of electronic, maybe that can help other people too.

Anyway, I got a couple of tracks I need help identifying. However, there is one in particular I would really like to know more than the rest. I'm uploading it now, if anyone wants the link please PM me (I'm not sure if I can just openly announce it here.)

Is there any particular place where I can see definitions of the various types of electronic, maybe that can help other people too.

Anyway, I got a couple of tracks I need help identifying. However, there is one in particular I would really like to know more than the rest. I'm uploading it now, if anyone wants the link please PM me (I'm not sure if I can just openly announce it here.)

Well before all of the genres of electronic music came about Techno and House were about the only forms. In the early 80's Techno originiated in Detroit while places like Chicago and New York became birthplaces of House. As the late 80's and early 90's more and more forms of electronic music broke away from Techno to form genre's like Harstyle, Trance, Hard House, Hard Trance, Gabber, etc. So Detroit may not be "the" capitol of electronic music, but it certainly is one of the birthplaces.

i think our definitions of "electronic music" differs. i consider kraftwerk to be electronic music and they pre-date the 80's by many years - as well does brian eno. not too mention you can trace back elements of electronic music to the 1940's. without pioneers such as Varese, Stockhausen, Xenakis, Eno, etc. - techno, house and trance wouldn't exsist as it does, IMO.

brian eno coined the genre "ambient music" in the 70's. that is certainly electronic music.

for those who may be interested in the history of electronic music, that is outside but intregal to trance/techno/house - i would recommend a cd boxset called, "OHM: the early guru's of electronic music: 1948 - 1980".

It just so happens to be that techno is a blanket cover for trance, house, and all the other branch offs. I'm guilty of calling it techno at times myself, when I refer to trance or something similar I can't particularly describe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, EDM kinda developed separately in both Germany and Detroit, then people started picking it up.. from what I remember, anyways.

As for 2007 favourites:

Cerf, Mitiska & Jaren - Light the Skies (Retrobyte Classic Electrobounce Mix)

Leon Bolier vs. Astrid - Crazy People

Markus Schulz vs Chakra - I Am (Mat Zo Remix)

Just to name a few. There's more I've heard recently which aren't released yet.

Also!

Saturday June 30, 2007

Blank & Jones

@ Vision in Chicago. I'm gonna try to make it to this one.

http://www.visionnightclub.com/news/details.php?article=430

Lowerdeck:

It's common practise (and really annoys me) for clubs to not even start the music until an hour or more after their opening time. 9PM-4AM usually means music starts at 10:30 or 11, and there will be a few opening DJs before the main one comes on. This is actually done for good reasons though. For parties, everybody likes to be fashionably late, for one.. and the DJ needs a good crowd to work with when starting the music. Secondly, people don't start dancing as soon as they arrive. So there's opening DJs establishing energy so that by the time the main DJ takes the decks, he already has a pumped-up full dance floor to work with.

Lowerdeck:

It's common practise (and really annoys me) for clubs to not even start the music until an hour or more after their opening time. 9PM-4AM usually means music starts at 10:30 or 11, and there will be a few opening DJs before the main one comes on. This is actually done for good reasons though. For parties, everybody likes to be fashionably late, for one.. and the DJ needs a good crowd to work with when starting the music. Secondly, people don't start dancing as soon as they arrive. So there's opening DJs establishing energy so that by the time the main DJ takes the decks, he already has a pumped-up full dance floor to work with.

Archived