Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

1 hour ago, djh1963 said:

Speaking of the new  Miyako  building has anyone seen  design for it? Did it not have to go before the DRB?

As I understand things, it does have to go before the DRB, but it hasn't yet.  I presume since the building isn't breaking any height limits or whatnot that they can go ahead with the foundation work (& maybe basic structure). Since the exterior is one of the last things built, I guess they feel like there's plenty of time to change, if necessary.  I agree that it seems a bit strange to wait so long, though (b/c they have to accommodate windows/storefront structurally, etc).  I'd definitely like to see what the building will look like, too.

Edited by westsider28
Added quote b/c of new page

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were going to be brick as well, so that's pretty disappointing.  They've already got the next one down paved now. 

No, they're parallel spots.  They're apparently just really generous spaces, like on East Main.  You can practically parallel park a tank in those.  But that means the travel lanes will be fairly narrow, which should keep car speed slow through there.

Edited by westsider28

At Monday's meeting, City Council approved some tax incentives for the renovation of the Lundy building (w/the stone facade) on Morgan Square, so hopefully we'll see some movement there soon.

On a different note, I was downtown around 8 PM on Monday, and the number of people walking around was incredible.  I don't know if it's just Pokemon Go bringing people out or what, but I was impressed.  Really great to see the continued uptick in activity downtown.

Edited by westsider28

On the fringe of downtown for sure, but I just noticed today that Harris Place - the short street between Spring and Daniel Morgan that extends Kennedy one more block - which has been one way for as long as I have known, has been re-striped for two-way traffic.

I understand the Marguerite Bell Dance Studio, which is really the only thing on that street, has closed.  I used to see both sides of the street full of parked cars there 4 afternoons a week, so I guess without the need for on-street parking, somebody decided it should be two-way.  It was always wide enough for two travel lanes.  

2016-07-29 12.12.23.jpg

I walked around at lunch today and took some photos of all the activity going on.  First, the Magnolia streetscaping is pretty far along now.  Concrete pouring is basically done; they were scoring it today with a diagonal pattern.  Streetlights, landscaping (though permanent trees will wait until winter), and paving/striping remain to be done. IMG_1626.JPG

The new Miyako's was getting another concrete pour on the foundation (basement wall?). IMG_1641.JPG

Work is already underway on Daniel Morgan Ave.  Asphalt has been scraped up for the sidewalk shift to accommodate the new mixed-use building.  And the road has been re-striped to include on-street parking! (4 spots near Cribbs)  Hope the rest of the street is configured in a similar fashion. IMG_1638.JPG

Edited by westsider28

Quick update on Daniel Morgan from last night. There are now a total of 11 on-street parking spaces, some on each side of the road!  This is just a quick & dirty re-stripe to accommodate the sidewalk relocation for the new mixed-use building.  A larger streetscaping plan for the street is still being developed.  But this is a great start and shows the positive difference that just some paint can make!

IMG_1670.JPG

• Like 2

I look forward to seeing what the City does on Daniel Morgan now that they control it, and can add some parking, some new sidewalks, etc.  I know some significant streetscaping will happen on the block in front of the new hotel.  This end of downtown has looked somewhat worn for years, so it's nice to see a little face lift.  

Yes. But honestly, this section doesn't really need them, as it's lightly traveled and low speed. Bicyclists can just take the lane. I think it's a reasonable sacrifice in the name of better accommodating pedestrians (of which there are many more than cyclists) and future outdoor seating for restaurants.

Edited by westsider28

• 2 weeks later...

The DRB approved the new Miyako's building tonight.  The design is pretty simple/traditional and matches the character of the historic buildings nearby.  Despite what it says in the article, they are hoping to finish and have the businesses open early next summer.

New Miyako rendering.jpg

I learned that the facade of the 2-story building they demolished (originally constructed circa 1884) had been replaced circa-1930s.  That makes me feel a bit better about its loss.  It was kind of a Frankenstein building with sections built at all different times.  That's partially why developers have had so many issues that caused delays (that and shared walls w/neighboring buildings complicated things)  They said they had gone through like 9 structural plans.  Anyway, can't wait to get this hole filled in.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about the renovation of the Lundy (stone facade) building on Morgan Square?  I haven't seen any work being done there, and I expected the renovation to be well underway by now.  This is the one that's supposed to have the Mezcal restaurant with apartments above.

Edited by westsider28

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question, the Lundy Building had Dunbar Construction signs in the windows this evening, so I assume renovations will begin shortly.

Also, it looks like the traffic signal pole at the northeast corner of W Main & Daniel Morgan is being moved several feet.  I assume this is to accommodate construction of Royce Camp's mixed-use building at that corner.

Finally, I saw on NAI Earle Furman's website that the old Bishop furniture building at E Main & Liberty is under contract, which supports what spartanburgh posted in another thread about it possibly being renovated into apartments.