Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

A few minor miscellaneous updates: the two buildings on Magnolia between the Children's Museum and 142 Social have been repainted (white) to make them look a little better since they're for sale.  142 Social is still cutting larger windows; no work on the additional floors yet.  Finally, The Leader building (restaurant, event space, bowling alley) has had a small portion of the facade painted (testing the colors?), so you can get an idea of what it will look like.

IMG_20190409_192928852_HDR.thumb.jpg.6e780189deca5bee6b8635f1819263a4.jpg

• Like 3

I just found out that the building that houses McMillan Pazdan Smith is for sale.  It does have a leaseback requirement of 12-24 months (presumably to allow time for MPS to find new space).  But this could be huge for energizing East Main if a new owner opens up the ground floor for retail/restaurant uses.  It's such a dead zone right now (even the office entrance is on Dunbar).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I hope that they will find a way to stay in downtown. It's nice to have a professional white collar firm like that in the city. It could be; however unless someone knows that's what is happening, it could be that they are just selling the building, which is a normal part of the commercial real estate portfolio cycle.

31 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Hmm. I hope that they will find a way to stay in downtown. It's nice to have a professional white collar firm like that in the city. It could be; however unless someone knows that's what is happening, it could be that they are just selling the building, which is a normal part of the commercial real estate portfolio cycle.

My dream scenario would be that MPS anchors a new office building downtown.

MPS currently owns that building (and have since they moved in years ago), so I find it unlikely that they'd want to lease it back from a new owner long-term.  I bet they intend on moving.

7 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

Well, I hope they don't pack up and move to Greenville like Hubble Lighting, Pacolet Milliken, CHM2Hill, etc. etc.

I doubt they will.  They're a different type of company than those. MPS already has offices in multiple cities, and they need each for proximity to clients. Plus everyone and their brother uses MPS in Spartanburg, so I'm sure their business here is very good.

1Spartanburg:

Can you confirm with a link that they are staying here in Spartanburg? My wife used to work for them and she always thought with Les McMillan bought out and only Ron Smith left that MPS would just consolidate the GSP offices in Greenville of course. I hope they stay and build as nice an office as the other cities have. For an architecture firm, their offices are the pits. A real dump with those awful awnings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few random updates:

Cyclebar looks like it's getting pretty close to opening. Just finishing up interior work, it seems.

IMG_1880.thumb.JPG.00b0aba34ab4ddd38d72ad3382d3abc0.JPG

Renovation work is in full swing at the former Kosch & Gray building, and the grey facade has been removed.

IMG_20190525_142154854.thumb.jpg.2048edaeed147e4ca35db979539fd463.jpg   IMG_20190525_142217579.thumb.jpg.5698f3793940b9fd1a206b4f313f13aa.jpg

Framing for the first of two additional floors has begun for 142 Social.

IMG_20190525_141405839.thumb.jpg.ae337c2e1b708277c0c917a3fe9cbd78.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Wow, Kosh & Grey is a sharp looking building! Interesting renovation approach too. Why 1/2 then the other?

Each of the 3 sections of this building (Walker & Amos) has a different owner, unfortunately.  I'd love to see them unified again someday.  But anyway, the center (blue) section was renovated last year by Jennifer Evins.  She lives on the ground floor, while apartments are above.  The right (white) section has Armoire boutique on the ground floor (apts above).  The current renovation is only the left section, which is planned to have retail below and apts above.

wa1900.JPG.2c353833a779c959939edd120076f9e6.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

In the pic above of the back of 142 Social... anyone know what's going on in the building where the dumpster /  porta-potty is? I see they've begun some work there, but any idea what business is going in there?

That's 122 Magnolia (between Miyako & Olive And Then Some) being renovated.  No confirmed tenant (that I know of), just preparing it so it can be "move-in-ready" for a tenant in the future.  Similar to what was done a few years ago with the building that now houses the Children's Museum.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

I doubt there's any or no public money associated with this project.  

Of course not. It's a private foundation. Doesn't change the fact they could be leveraging their resources to much greater impact in the community than by pouring them into a building that no one who is actually involved in the day-to-day work of community improvement and development had EVER identified as a need. It's statue-building, nothing more.

• Like 1