Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

That whole stretch of Daniel Morgan sucks big time, so I'm excited to see this happening. Spartanburg needs to pretty up ALL of its gateways into downtown. I just wish the City were able to do more. This will do a lot to improve the connections to Hampton Heights too.

Lets also keep in mind that most of those fountains you see are Spots of Pride, which IMO is one of the best organizations that Spartanburg has. Its mostly done through private business donations, with some city coordination I'm sure.

Man Spartan, these are tough times in case you haven't noticed. Try explaining the use of city money for fountains (there is a drought you know, but again fountains for gosh sake) to the elderly and those on fixed incomes that live inside the city limits. This is ludicrous! Every town has suck a$$ parts to it and thats just the way it is. During slow or bad times when the city is literally begging for money, installing fountains just doesn't seem to me to be a high priority. Thank God you are not on city council or we would be taxed to death with all the "fees" that you favor and the downtown you are trying to create would only be frequented by folks with the last names of Johnson, Milliken, and Black. The rest of us would be hanging out in the greater county areas of Cowpens, Pacolet, & DLW and visiting Converse Beach (or Silver Lake if we couldn't get to the east side) on the weekends.

First of all Sparkleman, here on UrbanPlanet, you will respect other people's opinions. If you don't like or agree with someone's opinion all we ask is that you express your thoughts and opposition with a little maturity and respect. Its not very hard to do. Your personal attacks on me accomplish nothing, they don't contribute anything to this forum, and I have no use for it. I don't care if you don't like the way I think.

I personally enjoy your opinions because I like hearing opposing thought processes and having debates about it.

Back on topic- you clearly seem to be missing the point that this park is being built with PRIVATE funding. Since when are you against the private market making progress happen our city? Thats exactly what the fountains are, and thats exactly what this park will be.

Spartan:

I am sorry if I damaged your feelings or opinions with my previous post, but I did not find it to be agressive in any way. I just disagree with the current taxing and "feeing" of my fellow citizens that is being employed by my hometown. Apparently I will have to lighten the load somwehat on this particular board.

Back on topic- How do you know this is a spot of pride and how do you know there will be a park? I mean where the other fountains are there are no parks or anything else, just a fountain. If there are indeed privately funded, well then thats just swell and they can put up as many as they feel we need. However, if any of my tax dollars are going to fund these things as tight as economic conditions are for the town right now, then I think its a travesty. I would think that the small businessmen that sit on Council would also agree, at least I would hope they would.

Have a pleasant holiday!

Edited by Sparkleman

Spartan:

I am sorry if I damaged your feelings or opinions with my previous post, but I did not find it to be agressive in any way. I just disagree with the current taxing and "feeing" of my fellow citizens that is being employed by my hometown. Apparently I will have to lighten the load somwehat on this particular board.

Back on topic- How do you know this is a spot of pride and how do you know there will be a park? I mean where the other fountains are there are no parks or anything else, just a fountain. If there are indeed privately funded, well then thats just swell and they can put up as many as they feel we need. However, if any of my tax dollars are going to fund these things as tight as economic conditions are for the town right now, then I think its a travesty. I would think that the small businessmen that sit on Council would also agree, at least I would hope they would.

Have a pleasant holiday!

You didn't hurt my feelings. Believe it or not, you aren't the first person to make those type of comments to me ;). My only concern is that we maintain an atmosphere of respect and civility on this forum. I hope you will continue to post because you are a valued member. Even though we disagree a lot, I appreciate your opposing opinion and thoughts on how things ought to be done.

My desire is for my hometown to become a more attractive community in all regards, and I think the local government has a role to play in that..... its just that this is an example where the private sector is doing the job for us :) Read the article that Jael linked to in the post above this one. I think that will clear up a few things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Main St. will add two new stores soon. A womens clothing boutique will be located in the old LuLu's building at 162 E. Main St. on the old Mall area and a new boutique will open two doors down from Groucho's. The name of the store is "Two Doors Down, a boutique". The construction has begun and the signs are up in the windows. We need to try and support all these new stores as well as the existing retail and restaraunts when we can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone go to the Spartanburg Creative Energy's festival last night? I went and thought it was a huge success! It would have been even bigger if Wofford would not have had the football game changed to its venue because of Hannah's threat to the coast against Charleston Southern. Still there was a big crowd, and I think everyone was introduced to what the Ezell St. redevelopment is like and what it could be with new tenants. I think Tony Forest at Carriage House wines did an outstanding job with the wine tasting and helping to promote the event on his part of downtown. The only problem was the heat and humidity. The sun was not out, but I about died from the humidity. I talked with one of the organizers and they said it was better than they imagined. They said that several restaurants backed out a few weeks ago but then complained about being left out after they saw what a success it was going to be. Sonny's Pizza also had a big presence down there as well as hot chicks serving the brew.

All in all I thought it was a great time and its good to have another festival on the calendar leading up to the Int'l Festival in 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be significantly cooler for that one.

What a view! Maaco on one side, the Miller building on the other, a condemmed house straight ahead, and the fire station in the distance...

It's better to beautify an ugly part of town than to spend the money on parts of town that are already being taken care of. And it's a fairly major corner there.

It's better to beautify an ugly part of town than to spend the money on parts of town that are already being taken care of. And it's a fairly major corner there.

When is the last time you saw a park this size on a major corner? Are they going to fence it so some kid doesn't run out after a ball or something and get run down on Daniel Morgan? I am not being negative here just realistic.

"Pocket" parks like this are sprouting up in many cities around the country. They're not designed for large activities or large assemblies of people - just quiet green space. Will this green space spur other development? Who knows. I do know that it has already improved the appearance of a shabby but important downtown gateway.

I'm still not trying to rain on yalls parade, but that is hardly an area of quiet. I pass it everyday at least 2 times a day and sometimes more and the traffic and noise are at a high volume. The only quiet time down there would be around 7 at night and as most of the "SC" has proven, they are not out past 7 unless Elvis or Ric Flair are in town.