Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

Today I noticed a banner on the empty building where Breaktime Billiards used to be, next to Papa Sam's and across from the Chapman Cultural Center. The banner simply displayed the following web address:

www.guesswhoscominghere.com

When I got home I looked it up...I don't know what sort of business it is, but they want you to try and guess. So go ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the Mayor leading by example. He and his wife purchased the old water works building at the corner of E. Main and Spring. They are renovating the building with plans to move. They will add features like a Charleston garden and some sort of water feature. It has a grat view of Morgan Square.

ARTICLE

Edited by hub-city

This is about the third or fourth building plan lately that could not be done if the Master Plan were adopted. I think its great that the Mayor and his wife want to live downtown, but they are not leading by example as related to the pending Master Plan. They are in fact skirting around the new code and it makes me wonder if this is one more reason for the delay in it getting adopted. I am beginning to think that when all the players have their pet projects approved then the Master Plan will be passed. Everyone else will have to adhere to code that our leaders are not willing to comply with themselves.

I agree, this is not a good example. By buying this building and converting it into a residence, the mayor is removing space for a potential business, shop, restaurant, etc. If he wants to lead by example, why not buy one of the units in the Library Commons (of which he is a development partner)?

A new kid's clothing shop, Petite Armoir, is opening up on Main Street. I'm glad that we're starting to see some retail that isn't quite a "boutique" women's store. No offense to the ladies, mind you. This new store will be located near the Imagination Station, which is also a very kid friendly place. It was always one of my favorite stores growing up.

HJ Article

I agree, this is not a good example. By buying this building and converting it into a residence, the mayor is removing space for a potential business, shop, restaurant, etc. If he wants to lead by example, why not buy one of the units in the Library Commons (of which he is a development partner)?

The Mayor is actually removing 2 spaces from the Morgan Square area. One space will be demolished to make way for the Charleston Garden. Its a small space, but it would be great for a gift shop, map shop, ice cream shop, watch shop, Hot Dog man and his cart, and a hundred more things.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I noticed a banner on the empty building where Breaktime Billiards used to be, next to Papa Sam's and across from the Chapman Cultural Center. The banner simply displayed the following web address:

www.guesswhoscominghere.com

When I got home I looked it up...I don't know what sort of business it is, but they want you to try and guess. So go ahead!

Spartan Photo. What do I win? :)

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090624/...ed-for-downtown

• 1 month later...

Could we please hire a traffic engineer so they can get the effing traffic lights in synch? Getting through downtown whether it be Henry, Kennedy, Main, or St John is a painful experience if you are going from east to west. It would be one thing if there was something to see on the corner of Dean/St John but there is not.

Here's my take:

Most lights are not timed like that in downtown. You'll find that its difficult to synch up a street network in an urban setting without a perfect grid. If anything gets synched it would be Church, Pine and maybe St John. The other streets don't carry enough traffic to warrant any major coordination. I've never seen any street in downtown truly congested except for Pine, Church, and maybe St John during rush hour.

Could we please hire a traffic engineer so they can get the effing traffic lights in synch? Getting through downtown whether it be Henry, Kennedy, Main, or St John is a painful experience if you are going from east to west. It would be one thing if there was something to see on the corner of Dean/St John but there is not.

You and I must drive through town at different hours 'cause I frankly don't see a synchronization problem. I use St. John Street to loop around downtown and have never experienced a problem. When driving through downtown I find even Pine and Main to be a minor inconvenience.

I used to fret about East Main and Dean Street but always figured the FBC had the lights timed to allow their congregants to safely cross the streets. However, I haven't noticed that lately.

If I were to recommend anything to improve the traffic flow in Spartanburg I would change the geometry of the Main / Pine intersection and allow left turns from North Pine Street. Years ago I met with the city traffic engineer and he explained that the current geometry of the intersection prevents left turns. Of course, it would be nice if the intersection was redesigned but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Another problem I'd like to see fixed - and this one is outside the city - is Hearon Circle. That thing is a mess! I'm not advocating eliminating the circle but improving the geometry of the intersections, streets, and ramps to and from the circle. I don't have a map in front of me but a first step is relocating Simuel Road further away from the circle. This would be a good step toward eliminating traffic problems in that area.

The problem with St John/Dean is that the signal allowing thru-traffic on Dean St is too long. You sometimes find yourself sitting there for what feels like a long time, even though its probably less than 30 seconds.

IMO, the geometry of Main Pine should not be changed unless it is to create room for some pedestrian islands. People who need to go out East Main from North Pine should use St John St instead of trying to turn left at Main (people still try even though it is prohibited).

Remember a few years back when they tried to change Heraon Circle to one lane? From a technical stand point it should have worked, but it just confused people for some reason. I don't understand it, but the dual lane circle works better, even though most people do not use the inside lane.

Two buildings are being renovated downtown - the old Water Works Building on Morgan Square (Saturday's H-J mentioned that Mayor Bill Barnet is behind this project) and a small building between Spartan Automotive and the new RJ Rockers.

Thats where I was talking about under the Sparkle City Eateries thread. I think drexel said he had heard that Terry's Tap Room was moving downtown into that building.

Edited by Sparkleman

Ohhhh, ok! I thought that it was the building next to the Salvation Army right where Ezell Street intersects with W. Main St near the railroad tracks. The location on the Square is MUCH better. Thanks for clarifying.

I think you might still be mixed up Spartan. Where Ezell intersects with W Main there is a building called Carolina Insurance that is at 254 W Main. The new Rockers Brewery is at 226 W Main. The building being renovated (presumed to be Terry's) sits between these 2 buildings.

The building on the square (old water works building) is where Bill Barnett is going to reside.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that. It should be interesting to see what they make of it. That corridor has a lot of potential.

Regarding Terry's (or whatever restaurant is going in that location) They removed the front facade and there are actually windows on the thing now. The RJ's site is still under construction, so I'm no clear on what they "opened." Maybe its the brewery portion of it.

Thanks for sharing that. It should be interesting to see what they make of it. That corridor has a lot of potential.

Regarding Terry's (or whatever restaurant is going in that location) They removed the front facade and there are actually windows on the thing now. The RJ's site is still under construction, so I'm no clear on what they "opened." Maybe its the brewery portion of it.

Yes, the Brewery is brewing. You can smell it in the air around that area. I tried some Son of a Peach the other day (not onsite) and it was delish. Quite sweet but still good.

THe sign on the mentioned building said Main St. Tavern.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...