Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

The City Council did award the way-finding sign project to Hilton Displays of Greenville for $60,909. The signs should be installed by the first quarter of 2011.

HJ article (page 3)

Another interesting thing mentioned in that article is that City Council approved a rezoning for 0.26 acres on the south side of College Street between Magnolia and Howard so that a developer can build six new town homes for students who will attend the VCOM (currently under construction).

HJ article (page 2)

Google map of rezoned property (approx)

Excellent. I can't way for the wayfinding signs to be installed. That will be useful to all vistors.

I'm glad the benefits of VCOM's location are already starting to materialize. I think the area between VCOM and Wofford will see more of this type of development over time.

I hope that the townhomes are not behind a giant wall though. Hopefully they will front the street.

I just found an intriguing ad in Natural Awakenings magazine. You can check it out for yourself at www.upstatena.com (scroll to the bottom of the page and enlarge the November edition, then go to page 40 & zoom in). The ad is for a Grand Opening celebration of Upstate Green Central Station, "A green residential and retail complex, a green directory, and a green living showroom." This will take place on November 11, 6:30 - 8:30 pm in what the ad calls "The Phoenix," (formerly the Bishop building) at 174 E. Main Street.

I did some extensive Googling, but couldn't find anything about this development (only another website which confirms the launch party). Nothing about "The Phoenix" or "Upstate Green Central Station" (there is supposed to be an UpstateGreenCentralStation.com, but it's not an active webpage). It will be interesting to see if anything is announced publicly before November 11. I'd like to know more about this development.

I had a chance to walk by there today and there is some work already going on in the building. In the windows they have a few black and white renderings of the project. Looks like they want to have two 2500 sq ft penthouses on the top floor, some residentail/office space on the 2nd. with retail on the bottom.

looks like a pretty cool deal to me. they are having an open house tomorrow night (Nov. 11). I can't go, but if anyone is interested in going and getting more details it would be great.

I briefly went by the open house on Thursday. There were several environmental-related businesses with information booths in the building (home insulation, etc). The guy I spoke to talked about the ground floor having programming ranging from learning about green construction methods to physical fitness advice (perhaps?). Not exactly what I expected. I'll have to go by there again to check out the renderings in the windows. I saw a rendering of ground floor renovations and a floor-plan for one of the upper floors with 4 residential spaces (renderings: McMillan-Pazdan-Smith).

Their website has launched now, so you can check that out to learn more about the program behind this plan (nothing really about the building, however).

Upstate Green Central Station website

Here are two pictures I took of the renderings in the window of the old Bishop furniture building (future "The Phoenix"). The pictures show the proposed design from the front and rear.

post-24605-0-55428100-1290095939_thumb.j post-24605-0-99751700-1290095937_thumb.j

I hope this comes to fruition. I'd be really happy to see them un-brick / reveal all those windows (especially in the front).

Here's an article about rain gardens they've installed at the County Administration Building across Church Street from the Memorial Auditorium. I thought that was what they were putting in when I drove by there several weeks ago. Those should at least make that eyesore of a building/parking lot look a bit better (until it hopefully gets redeveloped).

Herald-Journal article

• 1 month later...

The same thing happened recently on Reidville Road. I think, while the crews are doing the ADA-compliant ramps, they are also patching damaged sections of sidewalk at the same time (probably for the same reason - ADA). I was glad to see it done at the corner of Reidville and Oak Grove. The sidewalk near Rite Aid has had random sections of buckled concrete for years (since Reidville was expanded & Rite Aid was built) that were inexplicably not replaced when a new sidewalk was put in back then.

The same thing happened recently on Reidville Road. I think, while the crews are doing the ADA-compliant ramps, they are also patching damaged sections of sidewalk at the same time (probably for the same reason - ADA). I was glad to see it done at the corner of Reidville and Oak Grove. The sidewalk near Rite Aid has had random sections of buckled concrete for years (since Reidville was expanded & Rite Aid was built) that were inexplicably not replaced when a new sidewalk was put in back then.

You have really got to be EFFING KIDDING ME! The city is wasting time and dough replacing crumbled sidewalk within the city from folks that probably are renters that don't pay taxes!

Jesus! This is why this city government is broken. Someone, anyone, (spartan, hub-city), explain why this is necessary when there are no sidewalks in existance in Frenwood/Hillbrook to even be repaired.

This is insane!!

Edited by Sparkleman

I actually know quite a bit about this subject. Sidewalk repairs cost relatively little (maybe a few hundred bucks) and last a long, long time. New sidewalks can cost over a million dollars to build (this includes planning, design, and construction costs) on streets that don't have them. The cost varies greatly depending on a variety of issues like terrain, utilities, ROW/easement costs, etc. Suffice it to say that sidewalk repair is way easier. Bid prices on new construction have decreased lately, but they are still very expensive to build. Then then the city has to tell residents the city is taking "their land" in their front yard to build a sidewalk (never mind the fact that most of it is in the right-of-way), residents raise hell about why money is being wasted on a new sidewalk when the ones we have are in such bad shape and there are potholes that need fixing.

Think of it this way, would you rather the city spend a million dollars on a new street or a million dollars fixing potholes? Its the exact same concept, especially if you believe that walking as a mode of transportation should have equal consideration in the transportation network as cars, bikes, etc.

For the record, I support both the repair and new construction of streets and sidewalks. All of these initiatives are worthwhile expenditures of the taxpayer's dollar. I'm glad that Spartanburg is finally getting around to the repair side of it. I'm not sure that has ever happened before, except maybe in Converse Heights.

(I'll also add that while renters don't pay property taxes (though they do pay taxes on sales, vehicle, etc), their landlords do pay property taxes.)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a minor, but important change coming to downtown: three double-sided billboards are coming down.

Here are the locations:

• North Church Street near Daniel Morgan Avenue
  • East Henry Street between South Church and Dean streets
  • West Main Street near the Main Street hotel

These are being taken down in exchange for one digital billboard with 6 ads at North Pine & Garner Rd. While I personally detest these things, this is a much better deal for downtown.

HJ Article

• 2 weeks later...

Heard some info the other day that may be a problem for a couple of downtown businesses. Now I only know bits and pieces, but maybe it will be enough for one of the members here to dig a little deeper. Apparently the owner of the building that houses Rome, the new salon next door and (maybe) whatever is on the other side of Rome is near bankrupt and things don't look good. I have heard about utility bills not being paid and subsequently being cut off. Not exactly sure whether that is affecting all or just one of the businesses. Also, supposedly this owner is not keeping his tenants informed much at all and being very difficult to work with. Again, not sure if I have exact details correct, but that is the general scenario.

Again, I do not know anyone directly involved in this matter, but a thought that entered my head upon hearing about this is if this is a situation of "get tenants to move in (on the cheap) and renovate your long-vacant building and then once things look much nicer squeeze them out so the new spaces can be leased for more/sq ft. Doubtful, but I have heard of similar situations happening elsewhere.

If I am not mistaken Wesley Hammond (former CEO of Hammond Brown Jennings) owns that building. A couple of years back he sold out to Ashley Furniture. Unless he made some dubious investments I would doubt he is close to bankruptcy. The Hammonds are like the Clevelands of Spartanburg as they have been here forever.

Now I have heard Rome may or may not be doing very well after the initial opening. Again just some heresay.

Just my .02

I have heard that Rome looks kinda like a high school prom, which is odd considering the amount of money that was supposedly put into it.

Rome actually looks pretty amazing inside. You'd never guess it was once a furniture store.

The current owner of the NuWay is Becky Hammond but its been on the sale block for a while now. So far no takers.

The Spartanburg Music Trail was unveiled today at noon. I think this is a great thing for downtown. It's the kind of unique, interesting attraction that should really encourage people to visit and walk around downtown. Spartanburg has more music history than many people (including me) realize. I'll have to walk the whole trail sometime and listen to all the info on the call-in number. They've got a great website, too.

post-24605-0-44356300-1297475241_thumb.j post-24605-0-67251100-1297475233_thumb.j post-24605-0-70835500-1297475238_thumb.j post-24605-0-59822700-1297475236_thumb.j

Herald-Journal photos

Spartanburg Music Trail website