Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

I found this on the new City website: Main Street Challenge. It's an economic development program where the City, with property owners, will help 3 entrepreneurs open new businesses on Main Street next year. They'll be required to sign a 3-year lease, and they'll get $12,000 to help with rent, as well as marketing help. More details to come. This sounds awesome!

Here's some more info on this program.  There are 6 property-owners willing to up-fit their storefronts for new businesses.  Three will be chosen based on how the space suits the business.  This will offer some flexibility on storefront size.  The ones not chosen will still be able to take advantage of the exposure. 

There will be a few rounds to narrow the field of prospective businesses.  In the end, a panel of local business leaders will choose the 3 winners.  Like the storefronts, the ideas not chosen will still benefit from the exposure.

H-J article

GSA Business article

City article

City podcast

What do you guys think about this program?

Edited by westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a fantastic program. Similar efforts have been used successfully to incubate local businesses in other cities. The key thing in the development of a downtown in a city the size of Spartanburg is generating activity. People don't want to walk around a dead downtown. If there is something to look at, like windows shopping and art, and something to do- like shopping in stores and eating in restaurants, people will stick around. 

I've always heard that property owners downtown charge too much rent for the location (ie: Greenville prices). It takes cooperation from  building owners and programs like this one to get things going. I'm very excited for what this entails for Spartanburg. I hope the program is successful and can be expanded over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Skating on the Square was a huge success!  There were 14,225 skaters in the 8 weeks the ice rink was open.  That stacks up well against Greenville's 15,000 and Columbia's 13,800 at their respective ice rinks over a similar time frame, especially considering their much larger populations.  I hope the City finds a way to make Skating on the Square a yearly event.

H-J article

• 3 weeks later...

I created a new thread for the Schuyler Apartments rehab here. In general, a topic with its own thread is more easily searchable via the UP website and internet search engines, and it's more friendly to new members who may not know where to look for things. So, feel free to create any topic you want, particularly if it's something significant. This is not a hard and fast rule, just some friendly advice. I'd rather err on the side of too many threads than too few :) I know this is a change from the past, but I feel like it will help the Spartanburg section in the long run. Please let me know if you have any questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more info on this program.  There are 6 property-owners willing to up-fit their storefronts for new businesses.  Three will be chosen based on how the space suits the business.  This will offer some flexibility on storefront size.  The ones not chosen will still be able to take advantage of the exposure. 

There will be a few rounds to narrow the field of prospective businesses.  In the end, a panel of local business leaders will choose the 3 winners.  Like the storefronts, the ideas not chosen will still benefit from the exposure.

H-J article

GSA Business article

City article

City podcast

What do you guys think about this program?

I heard that one of the applicants may be Growler Haus. The original is in Anderson and a buddy of mine says its a slam dunk down there. The fact that is can exist in a 1000 sq ft space would be a good thing.

http://growlerhaus.com/

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/44252-craft-beer-bar-opens-in-anderson

Yeah, the Growler Haus already has a Spartanburg-specific Facebook page

The applications had to be in by February 8, so I think the ideas will be narrowed down to 12 semi-finalists soon.  Then in April, the field will be narrowed to 6.  I'm pretty sure the City will be open about the process, since they want to continue the positive buzz about DT (and the prospective business ideas).

Main Street Challenge website

Yeah, the Growler Haus already has a Spartanburg-specific Facebook page

The applications had to be in by February 8, so I think the ideas will be narrowed down to 12 semi-finalists soon.  Then in April, the field will be narrowed to 6.  I'm pretty sure the City will be open about the process, since they want to continue the positive buzz about DT (and the prospective business ideas).

Main Street Challenge website

Was looking at their FB page and notice a photo that appears to have been taken from the former C Edward Cigars.  Could this be?

Apparently, there were actually 58 entries to the Main Street Challenge.  Most entries are retail ideas, including shoe stores, bakeries, gift stores, design and craft stores, music-oriented venues, beverage-only venues, candy shops, nonprofits and some service-oriented businesses, among others.  The entries will be narrowed to 12 by February 26.  The 3 winners will be announced by May 26.

GSA Business article

Ok so I was in Anderson, SC today to see a customer and decided to stop by Growler Haus and check it out. I got there at about 1:45 and needless to say we were the only folks in there. Apparently like Spartanburg, there aren't enough drunks in the town before 4:00 pm to help support the place but they were open anyway. Its a pretty sweet set-up with some sofas, chairs, carpeting, and a bar area with 5 swivel seats. There are 12 taps behind that and they rotate craft beers pretty regularly. There is maybe 1500 sq ft but they make the most of the space.

The girl working said they had been open 8 months and were doing bang up business. I mentioned we were from Sptbg and saw they applied for the MSC (main street challenge). She was very familiar and hoped they made the cut. After a couple of great pints in there, I agree that it would be a tremendous addition to our downtown. Some of the brews they have, you just can't find anywhere else like Green Flash from San Diego. We paid $5 for the actually growler and another $24 for the beer. This stuff is high gravity at 9.5% APV and I have never seen it on tap in the Carolinas.

What's really interesting is that they do not have to serve food in there. I guess there is a new law where that is not necessary anymore, but its news to me. Anyway its a really simple but great idea. I'll post some pics later.

• Like 1

According to a source in Anderson, Growler Haus made the cut to 18 from 58 applicants. This friend of mine was in there last night and the owner was as well. He told her he had made the cut to 18, but said that regardless of whether he got to the finals he planned to open a place in Spartanburg.

post-20177-0-30346700-1362068306_thumb.j

According to a source in Anderson, Growler Haus made the cut to 18 from 58 applicants. This friend of mine was in there last night and the owner was as well. He told her he had made the cut to 18, but said that regardless of whether he got to the finals he planned to open a place in Spartanburg.

Hey S-Man,

Do you know what space downtown they are coveting?

• 3 weeks later...

The 19 finalists for the Main Street Challenge have been announced.  It's quite a variety of concepts.  The 3 winners will be announced by May 26.

GSA Business article

Growler Haus is among the finalists.  They're trying a crowd-funding campaign, as well.

Looking forward to seeing several of these business open up later this year!

The 19 finalists for the Main Street Challenge have been announced.  It's quite a variety of concepts.  The 3 winners will be announced by May 26.

GSA Business article

Growler Haus is among the finalists.  They're trying a crowd-funding campaign, as well.

Looking forward to seeing several of these business open up later this year!

I'm to quote an infamous upstater "All In" on this deal!

• 4 weeks later...

The Economy Inn on S Pine St near E Main has been closed by the City. This is great news and I hope they are able to close the other 3 that house drug addicts, prostitutes and scum of all sorts. There were so many complaint calls that the City was able to use the newly passed nuissiance ordinance to close them permanently . Hopefully, the building will be demolished so no one else can open another Inn there.

• Like 2

WHATTTT!? Where did you hear that? That is fantastic news! Cheers to the city for working to improve this area, and as you said, let's hope the other three go away with it!

I have been ranting for the past three years, since my wife and I moved here, that the Main St./Pine St. intersection is the gateway to the city for most traveling from 85, and yet it has to be one of the nastiest intersections in the whole city. Imagine it with no motels, streetscaping, bike lanes, improved landscaping and "Welcome to Spartanburg" signage. It would be such an improved first impression for anyone visiting the city. The strip of shops across from Bob's Car Wash could be a great little strip in a few years if the motels were gone. I could go on and on.

This news has made my week! Thanks for posting.

I'll be giddy when I see the wrecking ball.  Some years ago I looked into buying one of those properties for investment purposes and discovered that it was heavily leveraged.  Subsequently learned that all of these motels are heavily leveraged.  Only someone with BIG bucks can afford to buy these fleabags and tear them down.  Otherwise, I'm afraid they'll continue to be operated by South Asian families who in turn we sell them to other South Asian families and hammerlock them into goofy long term financing schemes.  Sorry if I'm offending anyone but that's the reality.

The two motels at the corner of Pine and Main are situated on odd-shaped lots which makes redevelopment a challenge.  The other motel down the street on East Main is sandwiched between other properties which also makes redevelopment a challenge.  The Economy Inn, from what I understand, was sold to a developer / REIT in 2007 along with the Main / Pine shopping center.  This property is much less of a redevelopment  challenge.

Although Spartan disagrees I think the big picture solution is to realign Pine Street.  Pine's intersection with East Main is a mess and squaring it up would not only improve traffic flow and safety but might just make those motel properties at that intersection more amenable to redevelopment. 

Perhaps I'm all wrong.  Maybe someone with deep pockets and a vision will see the area's potential and make something happen.  Crossroads, you're right.  This intersection is nasty and needs an infusion of redevelopment.

Edited by roads-scholar

My enthusiasm has been tempered after driving by the Economy Inn a few minutes ago. There is a sign which says "closed for remodeling," and they have dumpsters outside. Make what you will of that, but at least on the surface, it appears we may have jumped to conclusions thinking it has been permanently closed.

I believe that new visitors, especially those coming from more advanced cities, will not take Spartanburg seriously until the downtown area improves and this gateway to downtown is improved along with it. Yes, I am very happy that the city is working hard on development for downtown, but this gateway to downtown needs serious consideration. I realize that we are talking about big $ the city simply does not have, but I feel sure that more can be done prior to spending big money.

Edited by barkmenton

My enthusiasm has been tempered after driving by the Economy Inn a few minutes ago. There is a sign which says "closed for remodeling," and they have dumpsters outside. Make what you will of that, but at least on the surface, it appears we may have jumped to conclusions thinking it has been permanently closed.

I believe that new visitors, especially those coming from more advanced cities, will not take Spartanburg seriously until the downtown area improves and this gateway to downtown is improved along with it. Yes, I am very happy that the city is working hard on development for downtown, but this gateway to downtown needs serious consideration. I realize that we are talking about big $ the city simply does not have, but I feel sure that more can be done prior to spending big money.

My personal feeling, Crossroads, is that the city is concentrating, and perhaps rightly so, on the CBD, and is allowing this important gateway to fend for itself.  The shabby motels aren't going anywhere until (1) the city makes this area a priority or a developer / investor with both a vision and deep pockets initiates something.

Some Spartanburg residents and even some forum participants questioned the design and placement of the QT convenience store and gas station at the corner of Pine and St. John.  To me this development is a vast improvement over what was there and brings some semblance of vitality to this area. 

I think that if realigning the streets is what it takes to get land development to occur, then we may as well give up on that intersection entirely. Once there is enough demand for space in and around downtown, those parcels will get redeveloped or massively renovated. I think one benchmark for progress towards that end is the occupancy rate of the historic blocks of Main St between Spring and Converse Streets. There are far too many vacant or under-used buildings and storefronts in that stretch. Once the core gets stronger, the areas around it will become more desirable. Heck, they can't even get the old Wachovia building rented out, so why would we need something new?

I personally think the College Motor Inn has some nostalgic appeal, and they could be repurposed (and renovated) as a boutique hotel that could serve college-related business trips (ie: visiting professors, guest speakers, etc) if priced right. 

I just don't see it being feasible to realign the intersection. I do agree that as downtown becomes more developed, which it seems to be finally gaining momentum, those areas east of downtown should garner more attention. The Main St. Challenge should help out with the east side of downtown, and with the Catholic church being built in addition to the competition, maybe we can hope the city can reignite interest in a road diet, bike lanes, and streetscaping project for the section of Main St. between Converse and Pine.

My take is that this section of downtown, basically between Converse St. and the St. John connector east of Pine, is a diamond in the rough that most are unable and unwilling to envision what it could be. The traffic count is massive running north/south, it is right behind the city's flagship historic neighborhood, and with some redevelopment, streetscaping, and improved signage, it could be a lovely, inviting gateway to downtown.

It's a chicken and egg thing; yes, if the shops on the east side of Church St. are leased and the general area improves, it will trickle over to the Pine St. intersection. However, I think we should consider in greater detail the melancholy, depressing atmosphere at the Pine St. intersection coupled with the Main St. asphalt desert and how that is detrimental to the development of downtown. In order for businesses to thrive downtown, we need more customers downtown. While it is on the right path, downtown is an island with depressed areas on all sides. Why would a visitor to Spartanburg, if arriving in town from I-85 at the Pine St./Main St. intersection, want to turn right and go to downtown, unless they were knowingly going there? The gateway should be of equal importance to the destination.

• Like 1